Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

My United Upgrade Instruments (SWU/CR-1) Are Going to Expire - What Are my Options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My United Upgrade Instruments (SWU/CR-1) Are Going to Expire - What Are my Options?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2011, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bucketlist
Ask for one to be extended
That program has not been announced for this year. People who have called to request it are being summarily rejected.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 3:14 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That program has not been announced for this year. People who have called to request it are being summarily rejected.
+1
tried last week and answer was nooooooooooo
Old Oct 28, 2011, 5:57 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
I was able to get 1 extended last week - but only for 1 month. It was due to expire in Oct. I requested until end of Nov, and they did it. But they could see my booked TPAC C ticket (returning in Y) and I think that's why they did it. The CSR made it clear that it was a "special, 1 time occurance" becuase of the booked itinerary and my years of UA business (1k-MM). So I get one shot at the upg clearing for NRT-IAD in late Nov...will cross fingers!
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1k, Delta Silver Medallion
Hi! I have six United SWU's that will expire Dec 31 and have not had the chance to use them yet. I mostly fly internationally for work in business and have been lucky to be upgraded due to my 1k status on domestic and hawaii flights. I worked hard to earn these SWUs and I want to put them to good use!

What is the best way to find reasonably priced international fares where I have a pretty good chance of being upgraded (or are all pretty pricey?)

How else can I put them to good use if I can't find any friends to gift them to?
Old Oct 29, 2011, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jill3120
What is the best way to find reasonably priced international fares where I have a pretty good chance of being upgraded (or are all pretty pricey?)
Unfortunately, there's no simple search on united.com (though some tool like ExpertFlyer may have this feature). You need to pick some routes and dates, and look for NC inventory. It may be simpler to call and ask the 1K agent to search for you.

How else can I put them to good use if I can't find any friends to gift them to?
Go to the airport and find people you think are worthy of receiving them. Then just upgrade people arbitrarily.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 1:57 pm

Go to the airport and find people you think are worthy of receiving them. Then just upgrade people arbitrarily.
I like that idea, thanks!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 29, 2011 at 2:58 pm Reason: fix html
Old Oct 29, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Hi! I have six United SWU's that will expire Dec 31 and have not had the chance to use them yet. I mostly fly internationally for work in business
Why don't you use the SWUs to upgrade from C to F on your international trips?
Old Oct 29, 2011, 2:32 pm

Not a bad idea but doesn't seem the BEST use
Old Oct 29, 2011, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by rwm818
I was able to get 1 extended last week - but only for 1 month. It was due to expire in Oct. I requested until end of Nov, and they did it. But they could see my booked TPAC C ticket (returning in Y) and I think that's why they did it. The CSR made it clear that it was a "special, 1 time occurance" becuase of the booked itinerary and my years of UA business (1k-MM). So I get one shot at the upg clearing for NRT-IAD in late Nov...will cross fingers!
Good on you that's bloody good luck! Just called 1K reservations to try and get a December expiring SWU extended to February so I could use on a ticketed LAX-SYD flight. No luck After calling MP my 1K rep was told "Although SWUs were extended in 2010 this will not be the policy in 2011 and they will not be extending expiring SWUs this year". The 1K agent was really apologetic and agreed this policy was hard nosed and UACO could show more good will to its 1K MM flyers. I agree!
Old Oct 29, 2011, 6:16 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Not a bad idea but doesn't seem the BEST use
It is imho, the best use if one cannot use them for themselves, family, friends or F/t'ers as you are making sure that they don't go to waste by expiring (as that would be the worst use )
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:36 am

Programs: SPG Plat
I like that idea, thanks!
Though this sounds like a great idea, it really is hard to do in my experiance.

Several years ago when I first joined here on FT I was a rookie and just was learning about things. Then I read a post about UDU's coming and e-500's were going to be pulled. I didn't know anything (or had access) to CC but I saw in my accout I had 32 e-500's (or maybe it was 23, but whatever it was it was a lot).

So I had a connection in DEN the day before UA was going to pull the e-500's and when I got off my flight in DEN I went to the first gate I saw and went up to the agent and said "I have a bunch of unused e-500's in my account and would like to UG any passengers you think would enjoy an upgrade". She gave me a look like I was crazy, but I told her I was serious. She then said "this flight has F checked in full" then just walked away.

So then I walked to the next gate, and the same thing happen. After a third try at the 3rd gate I just felt stupid and then said screw it. And yes, the next day all 32 e-500's were taken away from my accoount. I guess I'm still not over it

Last edited by AZjohns; Oct 30, 2011 at 12:41 am
Old Oct 30, 2011, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by goalie
It is imho, the best use if one cannot use them for themselves, family, friends or F/t'ers as you are making sure that they don't go to waste by expiring (as that would be the worst use )
Of course, the point of the question is avoiding having them go unused.

Originally Posted by AZjohns
Though this sounds like a great idea, it really is hard to do in my experiance.

Several years ago when I first joined here on FT I was a rookie and just was learning about things. Then I read a post about UDU's coming and e-500's were going to be pulled. I didn't know anything (or had access) to CC but I saw in my accout I had 32 e-500's (or maybe it was 23, but whatever it was it was a lot).

So I had a connection in DEN the day before UA was going to pull the e-500's and when I got off my flight in DEN I went to the first gate I saw and went up to the agent and said "I have a bunch of unused e-500's in my account and would like to UG any passengers you think would enjoy an upgrade". She gave me a look like I was crazy, but I told her I was serious. She then said "this flight has F checked in full" then just walked away.

So then I walked to the next gate, and the same thing happen. After a third try at the 3rd gate I just felt stupid and then said screw it. And yes, the next day all 32 e-500's were taken away from my accoount. I guess I'm still not over it
Well, it was really nice of you to try! I was thinking of going up to frazzled looking people and offering them, but with my luck, I would offer them to folks whose fares don't qualify. I think my best option is to start flight shopping and post the offer to my Facebook friends as well

Has anyone ever tried donating SWU's to a charity like Make-a-Wish?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 30, 2011 at 5:36 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Oct 30, 2011, 5:47 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz

Has anyone ever tried donating SWU's to a charity like Make-a-Wish?
Older thread, but still valid: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...r-1s-swus.html
Old Oct 30, 2011, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, MC Life Plat, HH Gold
As I've discovered, it's hard to give away SWUs to your friends and random strangers with no status. First of all, for non-domestic travel they still need to buy more expensive tickets than they otherwise might in order to be eligible. The big problem, though, is that they seem to be prioritized based on their own status, rather than yours. Bottom line is that last-minute upgrades are almost impossible, so you need to do it well in advance, maybe before you even realize that you're going to have any leftovers to give away.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Have LAX-PVG-LAX in two weeks and UA wants $535 more for fare that allows SWU use and inevitable upgrade denial IME. I have a new employer who thinks paying the higher fare is like buying a very expensive lottery ticket that won’t pay off.

I have three SWU’s that will not get used. I think converting them to paper and lining the bird cage with them will make me feel better. However, I decided to give them to military via the CC.

This year is the last that I will be 1K – my choice. I came to UA in 2000, made 1K seven times, and can say UA blows now. This company does not deserve my loyalty anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.