Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

My United Upgrade Instruments (SWU/CR-1) Are Going to Expire - What Are my Options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My United Upgrade Instruments (SWU/CR-1) Are Going to Expire - What Are my Options?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:29 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I have used none of the 14 SWUs I earned last year. I have offered them for free to family, friends, coworkers and have given away 4 for free on CC so far this year rather than see them expire; one as recent as this morning. I have had absolutely no paid international travel this year.

There's a certain amount of joy I get from giving them away.

UPDATE 10/27: Since my original post I have received PMs and emails from people asking me to give them SWUs. As stated above, I give them to family, friends and coworkers first and only if I cannot find someone I know who can use them, I offer them on CC to other FTers. I do not give them to perfect strangers who solicit them via PM or email.

This update is not directed to the FTer who asked to be waitlisted should something happen to the sponsored trip.

Last edited by Pat89339; Oct 26, 2010 at 11:47 pm
Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
I could not agree more about giving the SWUs away rather than letting them just expire. It's a very nice gift IMO.

I tried to give SWUs to friends who were flying HNL-BOS, but they had not purchased a high enough fare code ticket! I felt a little silly about making the offer to them, and then finding out that they did not pay enough for their economy tickets to be able to use the SWUs!! A bit embarrassing.... but I had certainly TRIED!!! The UA agent with whom I spoke (at the 1K #) did put my friends on a 'priority' list for upgrades though. They are 2Ps. When I saw them in BOS, they did get upgraded for the trip over... but not for the flt back to HNL.

So a word of caution.... the person(s) you want to gift with SWUs need(s) to have purchased a ticket of at least certain fare code.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sim510
I tried to give SWUs to friends who were flying HNL-BOS, but they had not purchased a high enough fare code ticket! I felt a little silly about making the offer to them, and then finding out that they did not pay enough for their economy tickets to be able to use the SWUs!! A bit embarrassing.... but I had certainly TRIED!!! The UA agent with whom I spoke (at the 1K #) did put my friends on a 'priority' list for upgrades though. They are 2Ps. When I saw them in BOS, they did get upgraded for the trip over... but not for the flt back to HNL.

So a word of caution.... the person(s) you want to gift with SWUs need(s) to have purchased a ticket of at least certain fare code.
Huh? That is a domestic flight, any fare should be eligible.

(Well except award tickets).

b) To be eligible, you must have a paid ticket in one of the following booking codes:
• For travel in Region 1: Economy class booking codes Y, B, E, M, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, K and L, and business class booking codes C,D and J.
Maybe there just wasn't any NF space available???

Last edited by TechnoPagan; Oct 25, 2010 at 6:58 pm Reason: Added fare class eligibility
Old Oct 25, 2010, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I tried to give SWUs to friends who were flying HNL-BOS, but they had not purchased a high enough fare code ticket!
No such thing. SWUs work on all paid fares in Region 1.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
A friend of mine (not a FTer) has an SWU that expires this month. He called MP support and they offered to exchange them for Regionals. (I believe two of them) that will expire this December.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
In past years UA has allowed extension of 1 SWU into the next year. As I recall they typically start this in November and you have to re-qualify for 1K before they will do it.

I wish they would do more but even 1 is appreciated.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:35 pm

Programs: United 1K 3MM
With all the difficulties getting upgrades on international flights this year (see other threads), no wonder people are left with tons of SWU that will be wasted. I am sure there are people who will appreciate a Thanksgiving or Christmas gift of this type.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:40 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by zrs70
A friend of mine (not a FTer) has an SWU that expires this month. He called MP support and they offered to exchange them for Regionals. (I believe two of them) that will expire this December.
Are they now doing this instead of the extension in years past?

LAX
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA
Maybe there are many SWU related sponsorship and his fare is too low?

Originally Posted by TechnoPagan

Maybe there just wasn't any NF space available???
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by nihaoa
Maybe there are many SWU related sponsorship and his fare is too low?
That might make the SWU not clear but it sure as heck wouldn't stop it from being applied and waitlisted. Something weird is going on, the agent was wrong, and/or sim510 misunderstood.

Last edited by Antipode; Oct 25, 2010 at 9:58 pm Reason: Oops, sim510, not OP
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by LAX
Are they now doing this instead of the extension in years past?
I expect it's more like a "one-time exception".
Old Oct 26, 2010, 4:12 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by TechnoPagan

And except for Z fares.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
No such thing. SWUs work on all paid fares in Region 1.
See above.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Thanks for the interesting replies. My friends were on 's' fare tickets. The agent (clearly) said that they had paid for a fare code that was 'too low' for my SWU gift. Now I'm really wondering what went on!!!!!

I'm glad they did eventually get upgraded. Perhaps the agent realized his error (when he told me the 's' fare would not qualify...) and then opted to put them on a 'priority waitlist' for upgrades. Hmmmmm (scratching my head)

I still have my SWUs. My friends flew to BOS in first. All turned out well, but I'm disappointed with the 1k agent giving me the answer he gave me. Obviously he was in the wrong!
Old Oct 26, 2010, 7:48 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by bucketlist
UA reviews CC and bad things can happen to some who've sold or traded SWU's (or other UA goodies). There now seems to be a presumption that if they're used by anybody else, in some cases even w/ same last name, that there's fraud.

To me it's not worth it - sponsor family or friends and just give 'em away.

Hope it works out well for you.
Anything is possible but I haven't seen of heard of any problems people have had with UA and CC. If there are maybe they aren't reported who knows. Theoretically there could be but again I haven't heard of them. Please give us some examples on here if there are any.

Originally Posted by zrs70
What? I have never heard of this either.

Thanks for the interesting replies. My friends were on 's' fare tickets. The agent (clearly) said that they had paid for a fare code that was 'too low' for my SWU gift. Now I'm really wondering what went on!!!!!

I'm glad they did eventually get upgraded. Perhaps the agent realized his error (when he told me the 's' fare would not qualify...) and then opted to put them on a 'priority waitlist' for upgrades. Hmmmmm (scratching my head)

I still have my SWUs. My friends flew to BOS in first. All turned out well, but I'm disappointed with the 1k agent giving me the answer he gave me. Obviously he was in the wrong!
The agent was wrong and now you have the knowledge to correct them when faced with a similar situation in the future.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 7:53 am

Programs: UA MM, DL DM
Don't let all the "be careful" talk about gifting or trading them concern you too much. There are a few anecdotes floating around about people being questioned about the source of their SWUs, but the group that I work in have traded/gifted many dozens of upgrades and it has never been an issue of any kind. It is an automated process that UA has put into place so that we can upgrade other people and there typically is no human involvement in the transaction at all. I don't believe for a second that UA has someone lurking in CC trying to divine the true identities of users.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 26, 2010 at 10:03 am Reason: off-topic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.