Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nacho
Why does this lounge have its own thread?
Unlike most non–United Club Star Alliance (*A) lounges in the United States, the Lufthansa lounge at IAD is physically accessible to domestic UA passengers. This means:
  1. United *G members may access the lounge on domestic itineraries, even though they wouldn't be allowed free access to the United Clubs on such itineraries.
  2. Passengers who otherwise have United Club access, whether due to a paid membership or a foreign *G card, have the option of a vastly superior lounge in IAD.
What is the Lufthansa Lounge at IAD like?
There are two floors to the lounge: the concourse level, where you enter and check in, which also has the Senator lounge with ample windows; and the lower level, which has the Business lounge and showers. (The showers are very nice; on par with Senator lounge showers in Lufthansa's Frankfurt hub.)

The Senator lounge offers a complimentary buffet throughout the day, including hot dishes, salads, and dry snacks, and has draught beer and a full open bar including champagne, available upon request.

[Need description of FTL offering. Include photos?]

How do I get there?
The lounge is located at the center of the B concourse, from where non-US airlines depart, to the right of the Aerotrain escalators as you enter the concourse from the train.

Hours have changed seasonally, but, as of April 2014, are 8:20 to 21:30 except Mondays, when the lounge closes at 17:30. It also closes daily from 12:00 to 13:30. Some report the lounge opening earlier on occasion and some report it closing earlier on occasion.

From TSA/check-in, the B concourse is one stop away by Aerotrain, but in the opposite direction of the C concourse from where most United flights depart. Allow 20 minutes between the center of the C concourse and the Lufthansa Lounge. The longest part of the trip is the walk between the C concourse proper and its Aerotrain stop. Between concourses B and C, the Aerotrain makes two stops: one at concourse A and one at the main terminal/TSA/baggage claim.

How do I get inside?
With...
  • Any Star Gold (*G) card (including UA Premier Gold and higher) and a same-day departing *A boarding pass in any class to any destination, domestic or international. There are reports (April 2014) that the physical card is no longer necessary; a *G designation on the boarding pass reflected in the barcode may be sufficient. (Senator lounge, 1 guest)
  • A LH/LX HON/SEN card and a same-day departing or arriving *A boarding pass to/from any destination, domestic or international. (Senator lounge, 1 guest [plus spouse if HON] plus children under 18)
  • A LH/LX FTL card and a same-day departing *A boarding pass in any class to any destination, domestic or international. (Business lounge, no guests)
  • A LH Premium Economy boarding pass with ($35 adult/$20 2-12yo child) lounge pass purchased at the ticket counter. [Can it be paid at the entrance?] (Business lounge, no guests)
  • A United Club or Maple Leaf Lounge Worldwide membership card and a same-day departing *A boarding pass in any class to any destination, domestic or international. (Business lounge, 1 guest)
  • A same-day international departing *A First (Senator lounge, 1 guest) or Business (Business lounge, no guests) boarding pass
  • A same-day arriving LH/LX First boarding pass. (Senator lounge, 1 guest)

In all cases, each guest must also present a same-day *A boarding pass for admission.

Lounge access for travel in a domestic premium cabin is not regulated by *A; as such, UA F domestic passengers (without other credentials) do not have access to the LH Lounge according to *A.com, just as they do not have access to the United Clubs. However, the international requirement for C/F tickets is conspicuously absent from Lufthansa's own lounge access sheet (see below), and domestic UA F passengers have reported admission. (Senator lounge, 1 guest)
[If we get (semi-)official confirmation of this policy, we'll add this to the bullets.]

Provided the lounge does not get overcrowded, as is often the case on US-based LH lounges, you may exit and re-enter the lounge as often as you wish. Note that if you are entering on a lounge pass, which are issued by Lufthansa to their own elites for various reasons, re-entry might not be allowed.

(If your access question wasn't addressed by the above, first check the *A access policy and LH's official access policy [generally relying on the least restrictive policy of the two if they appear to conflict], and if they answer a question that this wiki couldn't, update this wiki to help others! And if they don't, ask in the thread!)

So, can I use the lounge upon arrival in IAD?
Only LH/LX SEN/HON (on any *A carrier) and LH/LX F passengers have access to the lounge upon arrival at IAD without regard to onward travel. See the list above for more details. There are reports, however, of passengers not meeting this criteria presenting their arriving boarding pass and still being admitted.

Furthermore, note that, by virtue of not having access to the terminal, no international passenger whose journey ends at IAD has access to the lounge; they will be ferried by mobile lounge to the International Arrivals Building, which deposits passengers landside. [Can pax without checked bags choose to clear CBP in concourse C regardless? Also, do arriving passengers on LH/LX/*A F/C connecting at IAD to Y-class flights have access? According to LH.com, pax arriving in C on LH/LX can use the lounges in Germany and at JFK upon arrival to freshen up. Is the same courtesy extended at IAD?]

How does the Senator lounge compare to the newest Senator lounges in FRA?
Not favorably. The Senator lounge is like the old FRA lounges (cramped, and before a LH flight departure, crowded). Perhaps due to the crowding, LH offers its departing F pax preboarding from the Senator lounge, something which the FRA/MUC FCT/FCL does not offer but is common among LH's outstation lounges. So, enjoying champagne and macadamias at the nose or upper deck while waiting is a nice feature of the IAD Senator lounge.

This sounds too good to be true!
Lufthansa agrees! If the rumors are true, as of January 1, 2015, LH's Business Lounges will become its *G lounges, which means non-LH *Gs will be directed downstairs to the Business lounge after that date. There's some discussion of exceptions, most notable being that *G traveling in longhaul business class will still be admitted to the SEN lounge. Lufthansa has been more generous than most *A airlines in admitting *Gs to its designated *A First class lounges—not even UA's own 1Ks get to visit United's first class lounges without a first class ticket—so this change will bring Lufthansa somewhat more in line with the rest of the alliance. Went to the LH IAD lounge in June 2016 with TK G and SK BP flying Y, we were directed into the Senator lounge.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2009, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I'm sitting in the LH lounge right now and just got asked if I wanted a hot or cold beverage or wine or whatever, they seem to be pretty good about coming around to check on you. The meatballs and tortellinis are great, and the warm chocolate chip cookies. Definitely worth the walk! And the beer is not self service, as someone may have said before. There's a big sign saying to ask someone for assistance with the beer.
Old May 24, 2009, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1MM), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by benny248
I agree, though, that it was awesome sitting there with the 747 just feet away from the window!
Here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrPQ40zziuk
Old May 25, 2009, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
It's (hic) all self-service today.... actually, I'm not drinking, but people are pouring their own drinks.
Old May 26, 2009, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
It's (hic) all self-service today.... actually, I'm not drinking, but people are pouring their own drinks.
At approx 4:30 PM on Monday, it looked to me like the beer was self service but that the booze was on display on a high shelf, just out of my reach. Because my inbound flight from PDX was delayed due to thunderstorms (they even threatened to divert), I only had time for one drink for which an attendant disappeared somewhere in the back in order to produce it.

I then only had time to grab a couple of German pretzels before trundling back over to the D concourse where my "Ted®" flight to MIA had just completed boarding. The cooperative FAs happily complied with my request to heat up the LH pretzels in the oven.
Old May 31, 2009, 11:27 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Well, given all the hullabakoo about the SQ lounge in SFO, I was worried about getting into the LH lounge here at IAD on my flight to JFK today.

Those fears were unfounded! I was welcomed in as the opened at 1 pm. Had lunch, had a beer, used the free computers... Truly, LH had made IAD somewhat bearable!
Old May 31, 2009, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat *G/DL Plat/Marriott Ti/WoH Glob
Im coming through IAD on wednesday on my way DXB on UA. How long is the hike over to B from C/D?
Old Jun 4, 2009, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Amtrak ES, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
Originally Posted by LA_Traveler
T-Mobile for wireless internet access, but it's not free.
It is actually worse than not free. It is t-mobile Germany wireless, and even if you are a US t-mobile wireless unlimited subscriber, you have to pay an $0.18/minute roaming charge.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by droopydog
It is actually worse than not free. It is t-mobile Germany wireless, and even if you are a US t-mobile wireless unlimited subscriber, you have to pay an $0.18/minute roaming charge.
Yes, but T-Mobile should cover all of IAD. There is probably a separate SSID for the German T-mobile in the lounge.

I wish UA would provide this service in FRA, for example.

Better yet, if bloody T-Mobile would stop its obnoxious roaming charges. What a joke.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by gnaget
Yes, but T-Mobile should cover all of IAD. There is probably a separate SSID for the German T-mobile in the lounge.

I wish UA would provide this service in FRA, for example.

Better yet, if bloody T-Mobile would stop its obnoxious roaming charges. What a joke.
USA t-mobile covers the entire airport, except this room.

The roaming charges are very annoying.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by droopydog
Right, but you can reset your SSID to pick up the IAD wireless from outside. That allows you to roam with whatever carrier you prefer (I can use my good old American T-Mobile hotspot account.) But it is confusing, because the SSID for the lounge is simply called "tmobile," and my computer thinks it's at Starbucks. (Well, actually, it thinks it's at what Starbucks used to have before they switched to AT&T, but that's another story).
Old Jun 4, 2009, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PTSBrian
Right, but you can reset your SSID to pick up the IAD wireless from outside. That allows you to roam with whatever carrier you prefer (I can use my good old American T-Mobile hotspot account.) But it is confusing, because the SSID for the lounge is simply called "tmobile," and my computer thinks it's at Starbucks. (Well, actually, it thinks it's at what Starbucks used to have before they switched to AT&T, but that's another story).
some what OT but having your computer "think" its anywhere by saving network profiles is not a good idea, with $30 worth of stuff I can make any laptop look like a starbucks (or any unencrypted hotspot) and trick you into connecting to me and either use that to attack your pc or a man in the middle attack. Spend the extra 15 seconds to manually reconnect for unsecure hotspots.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
At least yesterday in the LH Senator side of the IAD lounge, I could only get AT&T Edge service , not 3G so tethering my phone to laptop was pretty slow, but that's ok, I just ate and drank more instead :-)
Old Jun 5, 2009, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by u600213
At least yesterday in the LH Senator side of the IAD lounge, I could only get AT&T Edge service , not 3G so tethering my phone to laptop was pretty slow, but that's ok, I just ate and drank more instead :-)
We must have been there at the same time. I was having problems with AT&T 3G also. I could not even make phone calls without standing next to the window. I have not had that problem in that club before.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
I was also in the lounge yesterday flying my Domestic US flight to PHX. My wife and I got there around 3 PM and the lounge wasn't very crowded. When we checked in at the counter, I got a pretty good look at the visitor log they keep (I assume for billing the other *A partners). There were about 15 names on the list at that point - 3 or 4 were from either SAS or Austria (couldn't read the handwriting); the rest were all UA. I was the only US visitor.

Food was good - unfortunately, no meatballs offered but the beer was flowing.

They had two ladies serving the alcohol and they were constantly running around the lounge picking up plates/glassware and shuttling drinks to people from the bar. Basically working non-stop.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 11:18 am

Ok lounge gods, I have one for you.

I'm flying

IAD - JFK UA Y (no more F on this route unless you take the 10pm flight)
JFK - ZUR LX F
ZUR - LHR LX C

Will I have access to this LH lounge in IAD? Will I have access to the RCC? I had RCC access (in IAD) the last time I did this routing (and type of class) but the UA flight had F (which I was in).

Another issue, I probably won't have my LX boarding pass until I'm in JFK. That further complicate matters?

TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.