FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [Merged] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/935900-consolidated-access-lufthansa-lounge-iad-thread-merged.html)

rankourabu Mar 24, 2009 5:02 pm

Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [Merged]

yesterday I had nearly 5 hours to kill at IAD connecting from LHR to YYZ

Getting off from LHR around noon, I went to the first RCC I came across, near the C gates.
Me: Can I get a couple drinks since I am flying international to YYZ
Dragon: No sir, Toronto is domestic. (ok, i knew i wasnt entitled to them anyway, since i was in coach)
Me: Can I standby for an earlier departure then...
Dragon: No sir, not on international flights....

After an encounter with a mouse (I will from now on belive everything I read here :D), we decided to make the trek to the brand new LH lounge.

Its a bit of a journey, one has to take the shuttle, and then walk all the way down to B51 from the A gates shuttle stop.
But the lounge is superb, and one truly realizes how much the RCCs suck when you get there.

As a star gold (traveling on a "domestic" coach ticket), I was directed to the Senator part of the lounge by a friendly desk lady.

The lounge itself has lots of hot and cold snacks. Fresh salad, potato salad, cheeses, wraps, hot potatoes, various cakes, and candy. Very close if not better than any FRA Senator lounge. A german beer tap is in the process of being installed. There are 2 computers with free internet, tons of space, a great view of the gate, superb bathrooms.

I left a bit too early, walked back, took the shuttle directly to D, the whole process took maybe 8 minutes. Still had 20 minutes to kill, went to the very crowded D RCC... and had a couple carrot sticks....

The lounge is only open from 2pm until LH leaves, but if you have time to kill at IAD, the long journey to B51 is well worth it!

Lutz Mar 24, 2009 5:04 pm

When did this lounge open? I would've loved to visit it instead of the RCC on my way to LHR last Sunday!

rch4u Mar 24, 2009 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 11468322)
yesterday I had nearly 5 hours to kill at IAD connecting from LHR to YYZ

Getting off from LHR around noon, I went to the first RCC I came across, near the C gates.
Me: Can I get a couple drinks since I am flying international to YYZ
Dragon: No sir, Toronto is domestic. (ok, i knew i wasnt entitled to them anyway, since i was in coach)
Me: Can I standby for an earlier departure then...
Dragon: No sir, not on international flights....

Those are the rules - what makes them dragons for following them? :rolleyes:

rankourabu Mar 24, 2009 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by rch4u (Post 11468507)
Those are the rules - what makes them dragons for following them? :rolleyes:

umm..the fact that they designate the flight to YYZ domestic in once sentence and international in the next whichever is more convenient in what seems like an attempt to get rid of you..... The whole drink chit system makes one feel like a beggar sometimes

I think the lounge opened very very recently, perhaps just this past weekend, it still has that new furniture smell in some places :)

retsef Mar 24, 2009 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Lutz (Post 11468340)
When did this lounge open? I would've loved to visit it instead of the RCC on my way to LHR last Sunday!

Opened on Saturday, March 21, 2009.

mobilebucky Mar 24, 2009 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by retsef (Post 11468575)
Opened on Saturday, March 21, 2009.

Might need to pay a visit in May when I have 6hr layover at IAD on my way to FCO.^

DGellman Mar 24, 2009 7:20 pm

Can A *Gold arriving on a UA TATL flight connecting to a UA domestic flight use the LH lounge? I am betting not, because the departure leg is not international. How about the RCC lounges?

Dave

Clarkcc1 Mar 24, 2009 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by DGellman (Post 11469015)
Can A *Gold arriving on a UA TATL flight connecting to a UA domestic flight use the LH lounge? I am betting not, because the departure leg is not international. How about the RCC lounges?

Dave

RCC yes, LH unsure.

Similar to how UA *golds can access senator lounges in MUC/FRA when connecting to domestic LH flights.

emcampbe Mar 24, 2009 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 11468572)
umm..the fact that they designate the flight to YYZ domestic in once sentence and international in the next whichever is more convenient in what seems like an attempt to get rid of you

Actually, the dragon was wrong, you are certainly eligible to standby for flights to YYZ. I've lost count of how many times I've done this ORD-YYZ. Perhaps they didn't want to deal with checked baggage if you had it. If it were me, I would have gone to Mr. Chicken (even they can handle this) or another agent to get onto standby.

heffa Mar 24, 2009 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 11468322)

If you're flying to a "real" international destination it does NOT matter if you're in coach/business/first. As a *Gold you're always eligible to get drink chits, regardless booking class.

LAX Mar 24, 2009 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by heffa (Post 11469437)
If you're flying to a "real" international destination it does NOT matter if you're in coach/business/first. As a *Gold you're always eligible to get drink chits, regardless booking class.

I thought drink chits are only given out at departure gateway, not arrival. I admittedly have never asked for drink chits on arrival, so I don't know for sure.

LAX

onepassaddict Mar 24, 2009 9:52 pm

Showers?

Are there showers at the new LH lounge? Or does the main international airport for the capital of the free world remain one of the few global hubs without shower facilities?

SFflyer123 Mar 24, 2009 10:04 pm

Thanks for the OP's posting of this. I love LH lounges. i'll definitely check this out at IAD. ^

lucky9876coins Mar 24, 2009 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by onepassaddict (Post 11469793)
Are there showers at the new LH lounge? Or does the main international airport for the capital of the free world remain one of the few global hubs without shower facilities?

Yes, the new lounge has shower facilities.

Originally Posted by LAX (Post 11469605)
I thought drink chits are only given out at departure gateway, not arrival.

You're correct.

Originally Posted by DGellman (Post 11469015)

Dave

Yes, they could use either the RCC or the SEN lounge.

zrudeboyz Mar 24, 2009 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins (Post 11469854)
Yes, they could use either the RCC or the SEN lounge.

This is what I thought. Glad to see it confirmed as I will be going and coming from SYD and then to ROM in April.