Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2023, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The personal TV in my seat on a recent 737-MAX8 flight had a "From the flight deck" option under Audio, but the pilots said that it was not installed. Does anyone know if there are plans to expand channel 9 with the rollout of the new domestic interiors?
Old Feb 19, 2023, 1:21 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Enjoyed “Channel 9” today on our flight to Haneda from EWR - it was annoyingly only come from the right speaker in the headphones - but was still fun listening to the approach into Tokyo….
cfischer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 3:15 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Enjoyed “Channel 9” today on our flight to Haneda from EWR - it was annoyingly only come from the right speaker in the headphones - but was still fun listening to the approach into Tokyo….
This is common on al 777 aircraft, the solution is to slightly pull the earphones out of the socket and you will get both sides on, by having the pins all the way in you get CH9 only on one ear.
SPN Lifer, bmwe92fan and Milwaukee like this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 4:11 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by ELAL
This is common on al 777 aircraft, the solution is to slightly pull the earphones out of the socket and you will get both sides on, by having the pins all the way in you get CH9 only on one ear.
I didn’t think to mess with it since all the movies and everything else worked fine for both ears - thanks for the heads up!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 4:39 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I didn’t think to mess with it since all the movies and everything else worked fine for both ears - thanks for the heads up!
Is indeed weird, but is somehow the situation at least on all 777 aircraft I have flown.
SPN Lifer and bmwe92fan like this.

Last edited by ELAL; Feb 19, 2023 at 4:51 am
Old Feb 26, 2023, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by aindfan
The personal TV in my seat on a recent 737-MAX8 flight had a "From the flight deck" option under Audio, but the pilots said that it was not installed. Does anyone know if there are plans to expand channel 9 with the rollout of the new domestic interiors?
I thought that I was hallucinating when I read in this thread that Channel 9 is BACK ON!!!

This is the ONE FEATURE which I loved so much (and missed so much) about United.

How can I find out which aircraft will have Channel 9 turned on, both domestically and internationally? Thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sapguy
I thought that I was hallucinating when I read in this thread that Channel 9 is BACK ON!!!

This is the ONE FEATURE which I loved so much (and missed so much) about United.

How can I find out which aircraft will have Channel 9 turned on, both domestically and internationally? Thanks.
In terms of being turned on, it is totally dependent on the pilot of your flight. However, you can go to the fleet site https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...XAo/edit#gid=0 to see which aircraft have it installed. If you happen to be flying one of the widebodies, some of the 757s and hopefully in future one of the MAXes, you can check your particular aircraft against the spreadsheet once it gets assigned to your flight in the app. Knowing the plane has ch9/From the Flightdeck installed, you can then ask the FA or pilot if they would enable it.
wxguy likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
In terms of being turned on, it is totally dependent on the pilot of your flight. However, you can go to the fleet site https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...XAo/edit#gid=0 to see which aircraft have it installed. If you happen to be flying one of the widebodies, some of the 757s and hopefully in future one of the MAXes, you can check your particular aircraft against the spreadsheet once it gets assigned to your flight in the app. Knowing the plane has ch9/From the Flightdeck installed, you can then ask the FA or pilot if they would enable it.
Thanks for your spreadsheet!

Now how do I listen to Channel 9? I was on a United 787-10 last Wednesday and did not see anywhere or anyway that I can access Channel 9 or the Flightdeck. There was a Flight Map on the IFE but not much else
Old Feb 27, 2023, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sapguy
Thanks for your spreadsheet!

Now how do I listen to Channel 9? I was on a United 787-10 last Wednesday and did not see anywhere or anyway that I can access Channel 9 or the Flightdeck. There was a Flight Map on the IFE but not much else
In the entertainment menu, go to audio, then 'from the flight deck'. If it's not there, the aircraft doesn't have it. The 787's don't have it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2023, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
In the entertainment menu, go to audio, then 'from the flight deck'. If it's not there, the aircraft doesn't have it. The 787's don't have it.
Thanks for your reply. I perused more carefully the Excel sheet sent by Say Vandelayand I now see which aircraft has Channel 9. I will start looking more carefully in the UA app for the tail number now
Old Feb 27, 2023, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver
At least the nicer (screen) maxes have it, but I am 1 for 3 for it working this year.
aindfan likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Merolis
At least the nicer (screen) maxes have it, but I am 1 for 3 for it working this year.
So just to confirm: you've had channel 9 working on a 737-MAX8?
Old Feb 28, 2023, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
Channel 9 sighting on UA2058 (IAD-IAH 767-400) today..
Pilot even announced it during welcome message...
Old Mar 2, 2023, 12:00 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by aindfan
So just to confirm: you've had channel 9 working on a 737-MAX8?
It was a 7M9 into SFO during the storms last month, was fun hearing everyone complaining about ice, turbulence, and delay vectors.

The 2 of 3 with it not working were the 7M8s, but they were the screen ones with it as an option on the IFE.
Old Mar 2, 2023, 12:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Merolis
It was a 7M9 into SFO during the storms last month, was fun hearing everyone complaining about ice, turbulence, and delay vectors.

The 2 of 3 with it not working were the 7M8s, but they were the screen ones with it as an option on the IFE.
Good to know. I hadn't realized they were available on the Maxs. Are they accessed through a different method on the 7M8 vs. 7M9?
aindfan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.