Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2023, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by wxguy
The 767 Ch 9 whine has been there since day one. Literally, decades!
I guess it’s been so long since I’ve had it on a 767 (probably during IPTE…!) that I’d forgot. I’ll still take it over no C9
SPN Lifer and wxguy like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:31 am

Flying on a MAX 9 with seat back IFE. If the pilots gave disabled channel 9, will the “from the flight deck” option be disabled? Or can it still be selected, but there won’t be an actual audio?
Old Dec 22, 2023, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by ASA_1
Flying on a MAX 9 with seat back IFE. If the pilots gave disabled channel 9, will the “from the flight deck” option be disabled? Or can it still be selected, but there won’t be an actual audio?
It can be selected - but there will not be any audio. Note that at this time the feature is disabled due to an issue with which audio feeds are sent through the system. Once corrected, it will be an option for the crew to enable again.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
UA1652 MCI-DEN A320 (N470UA) — / — today was my first flight on one of the refreshed Airbii and I was thrilled to hear the Captain announce Channel 9 would be on for the approach. Sadly, when clicking through to Channel 9 from the IFE menu, it remained music throughout the flight.

ETA: I thanked the Captain on the way out and mentioned the music. Sounds like a simple mistake, but he seemed appreciative and happy to have somebody mention Channel 9.
SCChris and Say Vandelay like this.

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Dec 23, 2023 at 12:11 pm
Old Dec 23, 2023, 3:06 pm

Programs: United 1K, Delta PLT, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
UA2058 IAD-IAH B767-400 (N66051) - - announced and available the whole way. Amazing captain and flight crew who I was able to quickly chat with and ask a couple of questions post-flight.

This was my first time all year where Ch. 9 was announced as available and was.

- no1racer
Old Dec 24, 2023, 10:46 pm

UA1141 HNL-SFO 772
On approach to SFO, heard absolutely nothing
Old Jan 25, 2024, 12:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
UA71 AMS-EWR

”captain said it’s illegal to do that on United flights after 9/11”. 😭
Old Jan 25, 2024, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by itripreport
UA71 AMS-EWR

geez.
Old Jan 25, 2024, 4:19 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
UA71 AMS-EWR

Then ask the Captain, "So why has UA continued to promote it in Hemispheres magazine, and make it available on audio menus (where it is often operational) for the past 23 years? If it was illegal, I'd expect that UA would remove all mention and capability."
Old Jan 25, 2024, 6:16 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
UA71 AMS-EWR

We have a thread for that! Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot, Flight Attendant, Gate or Ticket Agent?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2024, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
UA71 AMS-EWR

Little update on this, the FA who I asked and relayed the message came back to me later, saying she had talked to the captain about it, and it turned out the captain had lied to her, which she was not happy about, and that he simply didn't feel comfortable turning it on... oops
SPN Lifer and wxguy like this.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
How do you access channel 9 on the touch screen with relaxation mode (which recently got retitled to sleeper station)?

I got all excited when the pilot announced channel 9 is on for those interested...didn't see any option on the touch screen.

Aircraft: 772 (Polaris/PE)
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Repooc17
How do you access channel 9 on the touch screen with relaxation mode (which recently got retitled to sleeper station)?

I got all excited when the pilot announced channel 9 is on for those interested...didn't see any option on the touch screen.

Aircraft: 772 (Polaris/PE)
MAIN MENU > AUDIO > FROM THE FLIGHT DECK
Press the ">" button
Return to the previous menu; you can keep the map on while listening.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 6:16 pm

UA1483 SFO-EWR 1/31/24 77N(777-200ER):

Checked From the Flight Deck while we were waiting to close the doors in SFO and it was on. No announcement.

So great. It's been a long time since I've been on a flight with Chan 9 turned on.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 6:32 pm

UA 2408 DEN IAD 1/30/24 772 HD domestic

Captain reported that the a/c didn't have C9 and hadn't had it in years. Of course, it was in the IFE...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.