Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2023, 10:46 am

Programs: UA Gold
8/25 UA933 FRA-IAD on a 772: Sat down, plugged in, tuned to Channel 9 half expecting the usual silence. But wait...was I hearing some faint chatter? Turned up the volume on the entertainment system and couldn't believe my luck. It was on gate to gate! So much fun to listen to going across Europe, especially because lots of flights were asking for course / elevation changes due to T-storms.

Channel 9 continues to be one of my favorite features of flying UA, and I seem to have the most success with the old 772's. Thank you, Captain!
Old Sep 5, 2023, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Channel 9 on the 787s?

The United fleet site says "Not Yet" on Channel 9 for the 787s - does anyone know if this means we can expect C9 to be available at some point in the future? Given the new order, the 78 is going to be the default long haul bird in the future, so it will be great to have this on the dream-liner.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Has anyone had any experience with Channel 9 on the retrofitted Airbus planes. I heard reports that its installed again, and working properly. But on my 2 flights I've done on them I forgot to ask if it could be activated.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
I am wondering if the B737-800 with DirecTV will have Channel 9 reactivated as well?
Old Sep 14, 2023, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sapguy
I am wondering if the B737-800 with DirecTV will have Channel 9 reactivated as well?
I don't believe that aircraft ever had it but I think it might be added with UA Next reconfiguration.

Originally Posted by itripreport
Has anyone had any experience with Channel 9 on the retrofitted Airbus planes. I heard reports that its installed again, and working properly. But on my 2 flights I've done on them I forgot to ask if it could be activated.
I was just on one and didn't even think to check!

Last edited by Say Vandelay; Sep 14, 2023 at 11:14 am
Old Sep 14, 2023, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by sapguy
When the MAX 8s came out, they came with Channel 9 installed, but an issue arose in which when turned on, would tap in to all cockpit conversations, so its currently disabled on all the MAXs, I assume its the same deal with the retrofitted 737s.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 12:45 pm

Programs: AS, DL
I was just on one two weeks ago and can happily report channel 9 was on and working from gate to gate. I made sure to thank the crew on the way out! A319 DEN-DSM.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Midex
I was just on one two weeks ago and can happily report channel 9 was on and working from gate to gate. I made sure to thank the crew on the way out! A319 DEN-DSM.
Great news!!!
Old Sep 24, 2023, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
When the MAX 8s came out, they came with Channel 9 installed, but an issue arose in which when turned on, would tap in to all cockpit conversations, so its currently disabled on all the MAXs, I assume its the same deal with the retrofitted 737s.
Seems like some flight crews didn't get the memo. Listening to the approach briefing sure makes you feel like you're part of the cockpit.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VWang1111
Seems like some flight crews didn't get the memo. Listening to the approach briefing sure makes you feel like you're part of the cockpit.
Lucky you!! Now I'm going to be checking every time.
itripreport likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 12:43 pm

Its a shame to report that Channel 9 was not installed on the A321neo, or at least I could not find the option to tune in to it on the IFE.
zspitzer and UAFAM like this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
12/7/2023 — UA884 IAD-FCO B764 —

I asked one of the FAs who said he’d send a message up front through their group chat. The FA came back to me a short time later and said the FO was going to ask the Captain and he seemed uncertain…Lo and behold, I just checked and it’s actually on! I can’t remember the last time I heard Channel 9, so this makes me super happy.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
12/10/2023 UA885 FCO-IAD B763 a great trip to Italy made even better having Channel 9 on both flights! I asked the Captain prior to departure and he mentioned how it’s not installed on all aircraft, etc, etc. I figured he was just trying to brush off not wanting to turn it on. As others have suggested, I turned up the IFE almost all the way and could hear it from departure until approximately 45 minutes later. Channel 9 returned about an hour ago (after we were already over far northern Maine).

Also, I noticed a ton of feedback on the 763 and 764 when listening. Have others experienced the same on other aircraft? It’s kind of like a high pitched whine.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 1:02 pm

I plugged in to from the Flight Deck on a 7M8 last week and was pleasantly surprised to hear chatter.... then realized it was internal cockpit comms only.
I was quite entertained but there is no way UA wants that broadcasting to their customers.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2023, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
12/10/2023 UA885 FCO-IAD B763 a great trip to Italy made even better having Channel 9 on both flights! I asked the Captain prior to departure and he mentioned how it’s not installed on all aircraft, etc, etc. I figured he was just trying to brush off not wanting to turn it on. As others have suggested, I turned up the IFE almost all the way and could hear it from departure until approximately 45 minutes later. Channel 9 returned about an hour ago (after we were already over far northern Maine).

Also, I noticed a ton of feedback on the 763 and 764 when listening. Have others experienced the same on other aircraft? It’s kind of like a high pitched whine.
The 767 Ch 9 whine has been there since day one. Literally, decades!
SPN Lifer and higher_flyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.