Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2024, 10:51 am

UA 1732 BOS ORD. CA promoted via welcome PA. Blast from the past for me. Haven't listened to channel 9 in 20 years. 👏

EDIT- This on 320 with refurbished NEXT.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by purdue1015 (Post # 361)
UA 1732 BOS ORD. CA promoted via welcome PA. Blast from the past for me. Haven't listened to channel 9 in 20 years. 👏

EDIT- This on 320 with refurbished NEXT.
PA = public address
CA = ?
Old Feb 9, 2024, 5:51 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
PA = public address
CA = ?
Captain?
SPN Lifer and purdue1015 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 4:27 am

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
UA7 02/09: asked the FA, she said the pilot told her it wasn’t installed on this 772 👎🏻

UA160 02/16: asked the FA, pilot told her “we don’t do that anymore” 👎🏻
Old Feb 16, 2024, 5:24 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by plc44
UA7 02/09: asked the FA, she said the pilot told her it wasn’t installed on this 772 👎🏻

My reply would have been, "Oh that's strange! It's advertised in this month's Hemisphere's magazine and there's an option on the IFE for 'From the Flight Deck.' Plus, I had it working on a 772 just the day before yesterday, even with the Captain's PA invitation to listen in."
SPN Lifer and bocastephen like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 6:59 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
God I miss Ch9. To get my fix I downloaded the LiveATC app and connect to the inflight Wi-Fi but that is in itself hit and miss…
Old Feb 16, 2024, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Originally Posted by plc44

I love when pilots make up the most unnecessary lies when it comes to Channel 9... all they have to do is say "I don't want to turn it on"
Old Feb 16, 2024, 12:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wxguy
My reply would have been, "Oh that's strange! It's advertised in this month's Hemisphere's magazine and there's an option on the IFE for 'From the Flight Deck.' Plus, I had it working on a 772 just the day before yesterday, even with the Captain's PA invitation to listen in."
And would that have changed anything?
What is the FA going to do with that info?
Old Feb 16, 2024, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And would that have changed anything?
What is the FA going to do with that info?
Sometimes I get a "Yeah, I know, the pilot just doesn't like it"; sometimes I get "Oh really? That's good to know!"

I'm fine if a Captain doesn't want it on -- it's at their discretion. I just don't like made up stories.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by itripreport
I love when pilots make up the most unnecessary lies when it comes to Channel 9... all they have to do is say "I don't want to turn it on"
Which is ridiculous when we can just listen via the ATC app and wifi (at least when UA wifi is working) and hear the same content. Although I'm sure some pilots would flip out if they knew people onboard were listening on the app, or even if the app existed.
SPN Lifer and Say Vandelay like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 3:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... I'm fine if a Captain doesn't want it on -- it's at their discretion. I just don't like made up stories.
I hope you don't expect a FA to deliver that message to the pilot(s).
Old Feb 16, 2024, 5:07 pm

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
I thoroughly enjoy listening to it, but haven’t had it on a flight in years.

A United captain friend of mine refuses to turn it on. His fear is that someone onboard hears ‘ordinary’ communication and misinterprets it and it causes a headache. (He used the specific example saying min fuel in discussions with ATC).

My opinion is that LiveATC archives all these comms anyway, and people make YouTube videos about interesting ATC exchanges. Having channel 9 on or off doesn’t increase any real risk to the pilot.

I do wish United would encourage pilots to turn it on or reduce their fear of some sort of repercussions.
wxguy, choch345 and Say Vandelay like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 7:03 pm

Folklore has it that one of the first situations to cause pilot angst was when a passenger reported to the FAA the pilots had alcohol in the cockpit. The ATC transmission was, "Ground, United xxx, we have Whiskey." Of course, that's short for having received ATIS W, where the ICAO spelling alphabet is used (alpha, bravo, charlie... whiskey... zulu).
SPN Lifer, nnn, choch345 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 12:11 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Folklore has it that one of the first situations to cause pilot angst was when a passenger reported to the FAA the pilots had alcohol in the cockpit. The ATC transmission was, "Ground, United xxx, we have Whiskey." Of course, that's short for having received ATIS W, where the ICAO spelling alphabet is used (alpha, bravo, charlie... whiskey... zulu).
Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!
choch345 and plc44 like this.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 8:41 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by 757FO
In the past, I have had PAXs actually criticize our interaction with ATC, and often times the CA will not turn on channel 9 for that reason. One time in particular, going into SFO, we had a passenger actually argue with us over the decision to accept an approach he felt we should not have accepted, for various reasons. Mind you, he was not an ATP or type rated for the Boeing, but marched into the flightdeck after the flight, and proceeded to criticize the last 40 minutes of our flight. It was downright bizarre. Making it even more ironic, it was during a line check, and the line check airman and he got into a pretty heated argument. People are very strange sometimes...
just a reminder for those who (carelessly) speculate about a pilot’s knowledge and emotion re: ch 9
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.