Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by fumje
Does this mean they broadcast radio waves to transmit the audio from the cockpit to the cabin?

Some searching around gives me the impression that is the case, but I'm having trouble imagining why it's not wired.
No; it's hard-wired. The output of the #1VHF radio is routed by wire (when enabled) to the passenger entertainment system and comes up on "Channel 9" or "From the Flight Deck" in the legacy systems.

When the passenger entertainment systems were first removed from the A320 fleet and streaming entertainment installed, I asked a UA executive about the future of "From the Flight Deck." He explained they were exploring how to integrate the audio stream into the wireless system, but had no information on its progress nor confidence on it being feasible from both a technical and certification standpoint. That was many years ago, and I have had no update since then, so I can't even say if its still being considered for the future.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wxguy
No; it's hard-wired. The output of the #1VHF radio is routed by wire (when enabled) to the passenger entertainment system and comes up on "Channel 9" or "From the Flight Deck" in the legacy systems.

When the passenger entertainment systems were first removed from the A320 fleet and streaming entertainment installed, I asked a UA executive about the future of "From the Flight Deck." He explained they were exploring how to integrate the audio stream into the wireless system, but had no information on its progress nor confidence on it being feasible from both a technical and certification standpoint. That was many years ago, and I have had no update since then, so I can't even say if its still being considered for the future.
Thanks for the information. That makes more sense.

I would love to have Ch9 over wifi (presumably wrapped into the "Private Screening" offering). I suppose nothing else in Private Screening is live, though, so perhaps that is complicated to integrate.
wxguy likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
UA46 FRA-IAH flown by pmCO 772 on 12/31 had channel 9 turned on.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Austin787
UA46 FRA-IAH flown by pmCO 772 on 12/31 had channel 9 turned on.
Can you share how you found it on that plane? I flew on one recently and was not able to find it on the screen.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
UA71 EWR-NRT 12/20/18 77W: Asked the purser to ask the pilots if they could turn it on. Purser disappeared and never came back.
UA 838 NRT-SFO 12/22/18 77W: Asked the purser to ask the pilots if they could turn it on. Purser disappeared and never came back.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Can you share how you found it on that plane? I flew on one recently and was not able to find it on the screen.
Open the inflight map.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Austin787
Open the inflight map.
Thank you! I will try to remember that the next time I fly on the pmCO 772. It does not happen too frequently as ORD is the easiest airport to reach for my International Long Hauls.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA
UA1241 LAX-IAH , fa claimed it wasn't available on plane while I had the page open on ife
UA5 IAH-LHR
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:12 pm

UA862, HKG-SFO, 77W.
Asked FA about Channel 9, she came back saying the pilots said it should be on, and Channel 9 is indeed on. 👍

And yea, the FA on my flight also didn't know that it's available on the 77W (she thought that the new planes didn't have them), but I explained it was an option on the entertainment system.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: UA Gold
UA90, EWR-TLV, 77W
UA85, TLV-EWR, 772

Didn't bother asking on UA90, had a long weather delay so it was late, and people get weird heading to Israel.

On UA85 asked the purser, she told me they didn't have it. Decided explaining she was incorrect wasn't going to get anyone anywhere, least of all me.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Forgot to report a week ago:

IAD-IAH on Feb 8th, UA 762, B763 ^
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
2/13 UA110 EWR-LHR 763 👍🏻
Asked the FA who asked the captain, he looked over at me and said “yes just for you”. Had it on gate to gate.
wxguy likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by TexasAggie02
2/13 UA110 EWR-LHR 763 👍🏻
Asked the FA who asked the captain, he looked over at me and said “yes just for you”. Had it on gate to gate.
Always awesome when it works that easy, especially on the intl ones ^
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by zspitzer
UA90, EWR-TLV, 77W
UA85, TLV-EWR, 772

Didn't bother asking on UA90, had a long weather delay so it was late, and people get weird heading to Israel.

On UA85 asked the purser, she told me they didn't have it. Decided explaining she was incorrect wasn't going to get anyone anywhere, least of all me.
Posted too soon (posting from wifi on N78005 745nm from EWR). Checked again when we hit North America and found it on. Perhaps the purser asked and the crew flipped it on after all. Would have appreciated being told it was getting switched on since I might have gotten to hear the excitement of EuroControl. But better than nothing, and perhaps more FA's who learn that it's still a thing! So I'll revise my for todays UA85 into a .
wxguy likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
2/4 UA7 IAH NRT - PMCO777 so I don't think it was available

2/12 UA838 NRT SFO ^ - 777-300ER - on from boarding, so I assumed it was left on from the previous flight and the new Capt was unaware and didn't turn it off, or, possibly he was a major Ch9 fan and turned it on before boarding, but I call slim chance on that one. I will this give this crew a ^ - When I can listen to NRT controllers, they are usually very clear and concise with minimal accents, but our tower and departure controllers that day had such heavy accents and spoke in a monotone so that I could barely make out 5% of what they were saying, but our crew was able to pick up every detail without asking for a repeat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.