Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by noah
I just came here to say... I miss Ch 9. All I fly are 737s these days and I have no idea what is happening from the cockpit.
If you really want to know what's happening up front, you can try the LiveATC app. It isn't perfect but you can listen to ground/tower at many US airports, which is fun from the plane or even at a lounge with a nice view. If you buy the wifi on board you can listen in the air, but it takes some time to find the right frequencies. That said, on some planes the wifi is sporadic or isn't active the entire flight, and if you miss a transition, you might not know which channel to go to.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM & *A Gold
I miss channel 9

What is your record for finding channel 9 ground (and air) traffic control on United flights post merger. Where once I luxurated in LHR accents, today.. none.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by wayan
What is your record for finding channel 9 ground (and air) traffic control on United flights post merger. Where once I luxurated in LHR accents, today.. none.
Exhaustive thread going back to 2013 ... Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [Merged]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 23, 2018 at 9:23 am Reason: Moderator note: Thanks for the link and new thread merged with ongoing one.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Flew the 77W for the first time, and "from the flight deck" was an option in the audio list. I asked the captain personally to turn it on and saw him flip the switch, but no sound came through the whole flight. Is the 77W actually hooked up for Ch9 or did I just get a lemon?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:11 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by dfreeman02
Flew the 77W for the first time, and "from the flight deck" was an option in the audio list. I asked the captain personally to turn it on and saw him flip the switch, but no sound came through the whole flight. Is the 77W actually hooked up for Ch9 or did I just get a lemon?
He probably flipped the switch to "off".
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Did he turn up the jumpseat fader? Usually if ch9 is actually off, you get music on the channel.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by findark
Did he turn up the jumpseat fader? Usually if ch9 is actually off, you get music on the channel.
You are correct about the #1 jumpseat radio needing to have its #1 VHF radio faded up. However on the 777-300ER, music is not substituted if the switch is off. You just get silence. The music substitution was from 757s and 767s pre IPTE.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by NYTA
Does anyone know if the 777-300ER has this capability? Also, I understand the 737-800 and 787 don't. Are there any other types that don't have the capability at all?
It's all in the Wiki at the head of this thread.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Is there a reason why channel 9 hasn't been installed on the B787's?

Was suspecting that maybe they are planning of discontinuing CH9 (which would mean them losing 10k of my business), but I see that on the new B77W they have installed it.

Last edited by ELAL; Apr 22, 2018 at 9:58 am
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:21 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I honestly believe that Continental management's philosophy was to essentially tear out as much IFE as they could so people would be more likely to pay a fortune for their 0.01KB wifi
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by demkr
I honestly believe that Continental management's philosophy was to essentially tear out as much IFE as they could so people would be more likely to pay a fortune for their 0.01KB wifi
since it doesn’t put any money in UA’s pocket, it has to go. How dare they keep something customers like?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
They were mostly pmCO planes, which didn’t come with it. I do wonder if the 78Js will have it, and if there is any way for it to be added when the widebody birds go in for the Polaris retrofit.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
They were mostly pmCO planes, which didn’t come with it. I do wonder if the 78Js will have it, and if there is any way for it to be added when the widebody birds go in for the Polaris retrofit.
Is there a known reason why the current 78_s don't have it? I thought I'd read something, but I can't remember what it was or find it again.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
Is there a known reason why the current 78_s don't have it? I thought I'd read something, but I can't remember what it was or find it again.
The 787s were ordered pre-merger and predominately by pmCO which did not have the feature. Suspect the pmUA orders (a smaller number) were harmonized to be the same as the large pmCO order.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The 787s were ordered pre-merger and predominately by pmCO which did not have the feature. Suspect the pmUA orders (a smaller number) were harmonized to be the same as the large pmCO order.
I see, thanks. So I suppose that would not preclude the 78Js from having it. Hope they do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.