Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2024, 10:46 am

Programs: UA MM, BA Executive Club, Bonvoy Gold, Avis President's Club
I finally received my lucite this week, three months after crossing 1 million. It is nice! I particularly like the customized data points--1MM flight number, dates, etc. I had almost given up hope after noticing that some of you received it a few weeks after your MM flights. It mostly made up for the relative lack of recognition on the actual flight.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I received my lucite plaque today, 4 weeks after crossing 1 million miles. Like @S4VT, I like having the data points. It took me only 34 years, 7 months to hit the goal!

Last edited by linsj; Apr 3, 2024 at 4:39 am Reason: correction
Old Apr 3, 2024, 9:39 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
ok.....I passed my 1MM threshold in Dec 2023... and got nothing and shared some of my thoughts on the overall experience here and while I was not looking for a huge fanfare...something other than a text from UA via the app would have been nice.
since then, a UA pilot and I have been chatting about "stuff" - including this... and he apparently passed my name onto the flight crew for my DEN-OGG flight today.
As I was boarding (pre-board as a 1k) the GA told me to stop and give my name to the FA once I got on board - sensing something was up, I just went to my seat as I didnt want to get in the way of boarded.... but the Captain came up to me, congratulated me and asked me if I wanted to sit in the cockpit....ok, I'm in my mid-50's not exactly an adenaline junky or expecting much - but holy buckets - wow.... sitting in the left handed seat and actually getting to "touch" the controls was really freakin cool...and I got the picture to prove it! It was like I was a kid again on my first trips (with UA, of course) and when we got to actually go up to the cockpit. He introduced me to his junior colleague and we shared some 747 stories (he flew the Queen)

and I thanked them for everything they do and have done - and mainly just for getting us home safely!

oh - and I got "the coin" and he made the announcement after boarding - I instantly turned red as everyone around me was jealous about going up to the cockpit (and yes, I was probably the youngest around) and we chatted about 1MM BIS on UA over the years....

yeah was expecting much - and I'm not one of attention - but it was really cool....

thank you UA!

....probably another 37 years for my next M.

-m
Old Apr 5, 2024, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1MM & *A Gold
Here's my one million miler story:

I've been tracking this goal for a few years now. I was close, then COVID/job changes, and I didn't fly a single United flight for 4 years. Then new job and now I commute RDU-EWR-JNB-LUN every month, so the goal came back into focus.

I knew I would cross 1 million miles on somewhere over the Atlantic on Friday. I bought a normal economy ticket thanks to US government procurement rules, but I did buy an upgrade to Premium Plus, which was only offered to me via miles vs. cash. Big difference: cash clears immediately, miles is nearer to flight.

I felt confident that United would clear my upgrade as they had in the past, or best case, see that I was about to be 1 million miler and that Friday was also my birthday, and upgrade me to Polaris. HAHAHAHAHA!

Thursday night, I'm in Economy Plus, sans upgrade, but at least in Exit Row, which is survivable. During boarding, I came out of the bathroom to see someone in my seat and the FA asking them, "Are you Wayan?" I quickly counter that I am Wayan, not this imposter, who is quickly directed back into the bowels of Economy.

The FA then says, "You're gonna make 1 million miles on this trip!", and hands me janky plastic wings and a bottle of water. Yes, I was very, very disappointed that after 1 million butt-in-seat miles, all I got was a generic plastic pin, which probably retails for $1.99. She then said, "Its not like Up in the Air, eh?" To which I commented that had Scott Kirby magically appeared at that moment - Pow! Right in the kisser! The FA laughed and agreed.

A bit later, she invited me to go into the cockpit before door close. I sat in the captain's chair, met pilots, and talked routes (I know this one by heart). They gave me an actual Million Miller Coin. I don't know if they knew I was on the flight, or hand one handy, or if that was actually the pilot's coin. Regardless, it is metal and hefty. Not sure what I'll do with it - any ideas?

I then went back to my E+ seat, noting that all Polaris and Premium Plus seats were taken, so I couldn't complain too loudly, though I was 1st on the wait list. Ugh.

The flight itself was meh. Premium Plus does have larger TVs, better food, and free drinks vs E+. Before I could feel sorry for myself, flying E+ on my birthday, the FA hooked me up and I flew toasted for 14 hours.

The FA was the best part of United's craptastic treatment of million milers. If this milestone is coming up for you, be sure to befriend the FA. They will make all the difference in your flight. United itself doesn't care.

At least I now get Star Alliance Gold for life (or until United screws us again), which means good lounges overseas.
SPN Lifer, UA_Flyer, uanj and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by wayan

I felt confident that United would clear my upgrade as they had in the past, or best case, see that I was about to be 1 million miler and that Friday was also my birthday, and upgrade me to Polaris. HAHAHAHAHA!

The FA was the best part of United's craptastic treatment of million milers. If this milestone is coming up for you, be sure to befriend the FA. They will make all the difference in your flight. United itself doesn't care.

At least I now get Star Alliance Gold for life (or until United screws us again), which means good lounges overseas.
Well, UA GOLD for life isn’t that bad and frankly overall one of the best things to have…3, 2 free bags, E+ and Exit row selection at time of purchase.. Lane 1 boarding, at this point in the world’s history that’s about all we can expect and frankly it DOES make flying a bit more manageable and predictable. Based on your historical travel and uncertainties, NOT having the do MR or run the gauntlet when purchasing tickets has a LOT of hard and soft value..

The days of decent upgrades, and ir-ops priority are LONG gone. Since $10-$50 upgrades, etc., and lower premium cabin pricing I haven’t really been upgraded in over four years. I’m just thankful to get the seat I want, have some legroom, get on early and get my bag up.. it’s the little things.

I’m currently ~ 365K away from 2MM, but I’m not rushing to get there..frankly I don’t think it would offer me much if anything else from value other than MAYBE a 5% chance of some random upgrade on a flight I don’t really care about.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 9:42 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
merged consecutive posts by same member

I got my MM appreciation kit/box/package/whatever from UA yesterday
I am not sure if it because their system actually triggered creating a label for a box or because of some of the proactive comments that I made

but, still havent opened it - will probably just put on the shelf next to the Bonvoy box from the MGM (a deck of cards? really?) so that I wont be too disappointed when I open it

although - I did get (of course, needed to ask) my 2024 1K luggage tags.... it must be hard work coming up with different colors and patterns each year?

nmenaker- you are right. I think part of the problem (at least for me) is that we are so use to the perks of status, especially for those of you who fly F all the time (not me, ha) or have been GS for years (I am just a lowly 1k for the past 5-6 years and unlikely to ever make it again due to work) - that reaching MM doesnt add anything "now" to the experience (sure we can debate the partner benefits...but that is different and some of us dont have a partner who needs it) - but the LT Gold will sure be nice when I am retired and at that age, dont want to fight with the travel world

-m
uanj likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 5, 2024 at 8:21 pm
Old Apr 5, 2024, 9:55 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by wayan

I've been tracking this goal for a few years now. I was close, then COVID/job changes, and I didn't fly a single United flight for 4 years. Then new job and now I commute RDU-EWR-JNB-LUN every month, so the goal came back into focus.

I knew I would cross 1 million miles on somewhere over the Atlantic on Friday. I bought a normal economy ticket thanks to US government procurement rules, but I did buy an upgrade to Premium Plus, which was only offered to me via miles vs. cash. Big difference: cash clears immediately, miles is nearer to flight.

Thursday night, I'm in Economy Plus, sans upgrade, but at least in Exit Row, which is survivable. During boarding, I came out of the bathroom to see someone in my seat and the FA asking them, "Are you Wayan?" I quickly counter that I am Wayan, not this imposter, who is quickly directed back into the bowels of Economy.

The FA then says, "You're gonna make 1 million miles on this trip!", and hands me janky plastic wings and a bottle of water. Yes, I was very, very disappointed that after 1 million butt-in-seat miles, all I got was a generic plastic pin, which probably retails for $1.99. She then said, "Its not like Up in the Air, eh?" To which I commented that had Scott Kirby magically appeared at that moment - Pow! Right in the kisser! The FA laughed and agreed.

A bit later, she invited me to go into the cockpit before door close. I sat in the captain's chair, met pilots, and talked routes (I know this one by heart). They gave me an actual Million Miller Coin. I don't know if they knew I was on the flight, or hand one handy, or if that was actually the pilot's coin. Regardless, it is metal and hefty. Not sure what I'll do with it - any ideas?

I then went back to my E+ seat, noting that all Polaris and Premium Plus seats were taken, so I couldn't complain too loudly, though I was 1st on the wait list. Ugh.

The flight itself was meh. Premium Plus does have larger TVs, better food, and free drinks vs E+. Before I could feel sorry for myself, flying E+ on my birthday, the FA hooked me up and I flew toasted for 14 hours.

Congratulations! Welcome to the MMer club.

It seems that you requested for Premium Plus and Polaris upgrades with miles and copay, which was waitlisted. You did not get upgrade to either cabin, but died at No. 1 on premium plus.

For you next trip, if buy-up offer to Premium Plus cabin is reasonable, you may take the offer and then request for upgrade to Polaris cabin with miles+copay. This will enhance your upgrade chance, but may still die at No. 1-10, instead of 10-30, if all Polaris seats are sold. Nevertheless, just a suggestion.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Please—amid of the coin!!

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Congratulations! Welcome to the MMer club.

It seems that you requested for Premium Plus and Polaris upgrades with miles and copay, which was waitlisted. You did not get upgrade to either cabin, but died at No. 1 on premium plus.

For you next trip, if buy-up offer to Premium Plus cabin is reasonable, you may take the offer and then request for upgrade to Polaris cabin with miles+copay. This will enhance your upgrade chance, but may still die at No. 1-10, instead of 10-30, if all Polaris seats are sold. Nevertheless, just a suggestion.
please show us a pic of the million miler coin!!
Old Apr 5, 2024, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
See Post # 2913, supra (photos of Million Miler challenge coin).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34074840-post2913.html
Old Apr 6, 2024, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Congratulations to the new Million-Milers!
It seems that many of us downplay the value of this achievement, but the day may come when you are no longer using other people's money to pay for your travel and you rely on this program lifetime status.
The companion status match can double the benefits as well (4 in E+ at reservation, 2 bags each, 2 *A Golds bringing guests into the UC on international travel, 2 eligible companion CPUs, etc.)
I have 2 relatives who are MMs who no longer get OPM travel and have come to rely on their MM status. Both have seen CPUs come their way on non-hub flights (not just them but companions as well). Both have told me that they really appreciate the value of this achievement.
Enjoy it.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 11:18 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Yes MM is best thought of as a retirement benefit (or a retirement from business travel due to a job change) for leisure travel. Few are able to reach 3MM or more and use it replace to replace status chasing. It provides a soft-landing from heavier business traveling life style for many. (Of course there may be some exception to this generalization, but generalizations are aimed at the more common situations)
Old Apr 10, 2024, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler.
In the last month or so I’ve received three emails from United “We’ve seen you on board a lot, and it looks like you’re about to reach one million miles with us”.

Crossed the one million miles mark yesterday on UA1837 PuertoPlata (POP) to EWR.
All flight miles were accumulated since retiring from the military in 2006.
All were leisure travel, and all were on my own dime.

IIRC, my first year I was gold. Then went to 1K for a few years when it was based solely on flight miles. Kept 1K when they put in the $10K spend requirement. Even made it the first year they upped the spend to $12K. But after that it was too rich for my blood. So Platinum for the past few years, and now lifetime gold, which is fine with me.

I’ve had a vacation condo in the Dominican Republic since retiring, and I’m guessing about half of those million miles were traveling there? EWR-POP-EWR. About 10 trips per year. Everything else was transatlantic or transpacific (with an occasional trip to LAS with my brothers for SuperBowl weekend.)

And thinking about it, I believe I was upgraded via CPU on every EWR-POP-EWR flight. (It’s an easy upgrade. No business travelers and it’s not considered a high class vacation destination. IMO most folks going there are looking for “value” and rarely splurge on $ upgrades.

Over the years, I’ve come to know many of the great folks who crew that route. But yesterday’s flight was all new faces.
After taking my meal order (I had the “Italian meatballs”) the flight attendant seemed a bit puzzled while looking at his screen. Then he said “oh, and congratulations on a million miles”.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by ErikStratton
In the last month or so I’ve received three emails from United “We’ve seen you on board a lot, and it looks like you’re about to reach one million miles with us”.

Crossed the one million miles mark yesterday on UA1837 PuertoPlata (POP) to EWR.
All flight miles were accumulated since retiring from the military in 2006.
All were leisure travel, and all were on my own dime.

IIRC, my first year I was gold. Then went to 1K for a few years when it was based solely on flight miles. Kept 1K when they put in the $10K spend requirement. Even made it the first year they upped the spend to $12K. But after that it was too rich for my blood. So Platinum for the past few years, and now lifetime gold, which is fine with me.

I’ve had a vacation condo in the Dominican Republic since retiring, and I’m guessing about half of those million miles were traveling there? EWR-POP-EWR. About 10 trips per year. Everything else was transatlantic or transpacific (with an occasional trip to LAS with my brothers for SuperBowl weekend.)

And thinking about it, I believe I was upgraded via CPU on every EWR-POP-EWR flight. (It’s an easy upgrade. No business travelers and it’s not considered a high class vacation destination. IMO most folks going there are looking for “value” and rarely splurge on $ upgrades.

Over the years, I’ve come to know many of the great folks who crew that route. But yesterday’s flight was all new faces.
After taking my meal order (I had the “Italian meatballs”) the flight attendant seemed a bit puzzled while looking at his screen. Then he said “oh, and congratulations on a million miles”.
Congrats! Bummer it wasn't a usual crew for you.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ErikStratton

Congrats! Welcome to the MMer Club.
Well, other than a single congratulation from a new-face FA, did you get any other recognitions from UA?
If you got the old face crews, you might get congratulations a few more times and a few minutes earlier, perhaps, on the jet bridge. haha.
Old Apr 11, 2024, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler.
Originally Posted by Kmxu
…………
Well, other than a single congratulation from a new-face FA, did you get any other recognitions from UA?
If you got the old face crews, you might get congratulations a few more times and a few minutes earlier, perhaps, on the jet bridge. haha.
Nope. And thanks, but I think “the moment” has passed. 😂
ContinentalFan and 8MiHi like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.