Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Million Miler/Multi-Million Miler Roll Call Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2022, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I should hit 1MM in the first quarter of 22. Realizing, I will cross it on ORD-MKE, I did some re-arranging and award bookings to ensure it will be on an intl polaris flight at least.
ANYWAYS, I've read a few posts from people reporting they received (or asked for) a flight chart from the pilot(s) indicating the MM point on the route. How does this work? Don't the pilots need this during the flight? I know there are electronic charts but don't they carry paper too as a backup? Or do they have a printer up in the cockpit to make another copy? How do they know the MM point, is your exact lifetime mileage available to them?
Old Jan 1, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by eng3
I should hit 1MM in the first quarter of 22. Realizing, I will cross it on ORD-MKE, I did some re-arranging and award bookings to ensure it will be on an intl polaris flight at least.
ANYWAYS, I've read a few posts from people reporting they received (or asked for) a flight chart from the pilot(s) indicating the MM point on the route. How does this work? Don't the pilots need this during the flight? I know there are electronic charts but don't they carry paper too as a backup? Or do they have a printer up in the cockpit to make another copy? How do they know the MM point, is your exact lifetime mileage available to them?
My MM flight was on UA 1 SFO-SIN. I typed up a brief memo for the flight deck and gave them the exact mile I would be crossing. For example I have 999,500 miles therefore 500 miles into the flight I will pass my millionth mile on UA . When I boarded I asked the FA if I can approach the flight deck, mentioned to the captain my milestone and presented the note to him. He congratulated me, said please have a seat in my chair and we took photos. If you really want it recognition, I think you have to do a little bit of legwork to obtain. Later in the flight a FA came by and gave my son and I a glass of champagne and gave me the printed flight plan with the denotation from the captain on the exact spot I crossed with a congratulatory note!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
My MM flight was on UA 1 SFO-SIN. I typed up a brief memo for the flight deck and gave them the exact mile I would be crossing. For example I have 999,500 miles therefore 500 miles into the flight I will pass my millionth mile on UA . When I boarded I asked the FA if I can approach the flight deck, mentioned to the captain my milestone and presented the note to him. He congratulated me, said please have a seat in my chair and we took photos. If you really want it recognition, I think you have to do a little bit of legwork to obtain. Later in the flight a FA came by and gave my son and I a glass of champagne and gave me the printed flight plan with the denotation from the captain on the exact spot I crossed with a congratulatory note!
hmm ok, It feels strange going up to the pilot and handing him a memo. I feel like if I was in his shoes, I'd be thinking "what do you expect me to do with this". But maybe it's not so uncommon. Maybe I just have bad luck with that sort of thing. On my last 747 flight, I approached the cockpit (prior to a delayed flight) and asked if I could get a photo. I got turned away, I guess maintenance was in the middle of fixing something and to come back at the end of the flight but we were so delayed, I barely had enough time to connect. Totally understandable.
I guess they have a printer up there as you said "printed flight plan"
But I do understand that if you want something, you pretty much have to specifically ask for it. I thought I might ask the purser to relay a message but maybe the direct approach safer in this situation. I just don't want to bother them or seem "over-entitled"

My original plan was to fly UA1 on my MM flight (maybe UA2 for 2MM ) but I think I'll have to pick another destination given the difficulties to go there currently.

Last edited by eng3; Jan 1, 2022 at 4:46 pm
Old Jan 1, 2022, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by eng3
hmm ok, It feels strange going up to the pilot and handing him a memo. I feel like if I was in his shoes, I'd be thinking "what do you expect me to do with this". But maybe it's not so uncommon. Maybe I just have bad luck with that sort of thing. On my last 747 flight, I approached the cockpit (prior to a delayed flight) and asked if I could get a photo. I got turned away, I guess maintenance was in the middle of fixing something and to come back at the end of the flight but we were so delayed, I barely had enough time to connect. Totally understandable.
I guess they have a printer up there as you said "printed flight plan"
But I do understand that if you want something, you pretty much have to specifically ask for it. I thought I might ask the purser to relay a message but maybe the direct approach safer in this situation. I just don't want to bother them or seem "over-entitled"
Attitude my friend! Walk in very happily go to the flight attendant hey this is my millionth mile flight do you mind if I approach the flight deck because I’d like to give them a memo to see if they can memorialize the point I pass…
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 12:58 am

Programs: UA 1k 1mil. Marriott Titanium
Loyalty after reaching MM

For those that reached MM and do not live near one of their hubs, do you plan of flying with UA or another airline?

Reaching MM status is cool milestone and if I live next to their hub still it would be a easy decision. But Since I do not live near a UA hub anymore I plan on finding the cheapest and shortest star alliance flights. UA flights add another 4+ hour to my routes since I need to fly to one of their hubs. AA has a hub where I live now but their ff program is not appealing and Oneworld does not fly my routes. More importantly, the US carriers these days are double or triple the cost of some
international carriers. The UA economy tickets are about the same as business class of the other carriers.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 1:46 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by JC1976
For those that reached MM and do not live near one of their hubs, do you plan of flying with UA or another airline?

Reaching MM status is cool milestone and if I live next to their hub still it would be a easy decision. But Since I do not live near a UA hub anymore I plan on finding the cheapest and shortest star alliance flights. UA flights add another 4+ hour to my routes since I need to fly to one of their hubs. AA has a hub where I live now but their ff program is not appealing and Oneworld does not fly my routes. More importantly, the US carriers these days are double or triple the cost of some
international carriers. The UA economy tickets are about the same as business class of the other carriers.
Yes, I flew other airlines after reaching 3M. Southwest, LH, BRUSSELS AIRLINES, AA, Latam, GOL, etc. Europe airlines treat passengers much better. AA handled Irregular op very well (15K miles proactively offered). UA did nothing to my son in the similar situation.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Got this very nice email today, a day before one of my 3 planned short vacations/mileage runs this year to get 1MM.

Is this new?
8MiHi likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by boat stuck
Got this very nice email today, a day before one of my 3 planned short vacations/mileage runs this year to get 1MM.

Is this new?
Is the email new acknowledging you're close to 1MM? Yes. In the before era, United only acknowledged that you accomplished a MM milestone afterwards.

Congratulations on the email and come back and post how the MM flight goes.

David
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium

Is this new?
Nice enhancement by UA IT. Gate agents and onboard staff struggled to consistently recognize accomplishments that took flyers decades to achieve. That hurt.

Good to see technology step in and bridge this gap!
Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:02 pm

Is this new?
Congratulations! Nice email, haven’t seen that before. Welcome to the club.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 4:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
I crossed the million-mile mark early Saturday morning on UA 989, 75 miles before landing at FRA. And I got to do so in style: My upgrade cleared Friday morning, allowing me to make my acquaintance with the Polaris Lounge at IAD and then reach this threshold with a lot more personal space than I had on the flight that began this journey--a seat in economy on CO from EWR to ORY in the spring of 1989.

I DMed United on Twitter in advance, mainly to say thanks for getting me out and then home so many times; it felt like me asking "can you make a big deal out of this on board?" would be getting into DYKWIA territory. I did mention the significance of the flight to the agents at the PL, who applauded and congratulated me, and the FAs, who also shared their congrats but didn't do more than that. (I thought afterwards that I could have asked them to sign my boarding pass, even if it wasn't on card stock.) But you know, the important point is reaching this point. And the really important point for me is bestowing MM companion status on Mrs. DCA Writer.
SPN Lifer, LAXOGG and 8MiHi like this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 4:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Congrats, DCA writer!

-FlyerBeek
DCA writer likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 5:01 am

Congratulations DCA writer !
DCA writer likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by DCA writer
I crossed the million-mile mark early Saturday morning on UA 989, 75 miles before landing at FRA. And I got to do so in style: My upgrade cleared Friday morning, allowing me to make my acquaintance with the Polaris Lounge at IAD and then reach this threshold with a lot more personal space than I had on the flight that began this journey--a seat in economy on CO from EWR to ORY in the spring of 1989.

I DMed United on Twitter in advance, mainly to say thanks for getting me out and then home so many times; it felt like me asking "can you make a big deal out of this on board?" would be getting into DYKWIA territory. I did mention the significance of the flight to the agents at the PL, who applauded and congratulated me, and the FAs, who also shared their congrats but didn't do more than that. (I thought afterwards that I could have asked them to sign my boarding pass, even if it wasn't on card stock.) But you know, the important point is reaching this point. And the really important point for me is bestowing MM companion status on Mrs. DCA Writer.
Heartiest Congratulations!

David
DCA writer likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Congrats DCA writer !!!
DCA writer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.