Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS 2025 Qualifications …. planning, insights and guesses?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 16, 2024, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA_Flyer
Copied and Pasted over from the 2024 GS Qualification Thread.

2024 GS Qualification spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Please enter as much data as you have available for prior years too.

Originally Posted by sgopal2
Here are links to spreadsheets from years past. Unfortunately I was not able to find the links for 2019, 2021 and 2022. If anyone has them, please post. This might be useful to look back at historical spends needed to qualify for GS:
Originally Posted by IAHMCI
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Moved the links plus 2019 to the wiki

Believe as 2021 and 2022 were blank extensions, not spreadsheets were created for those years
Print Wikipost

GS 2025 Qualifications …. planning, insights and guesses?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2024, 4:31 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
On a flight in February, an FA asked a 1k “what are you doing back here?” He explained that despite spending about $100k, the CEO wasn’t invited back to GS. He retaliated by mandating that all company flights on United are only reimbursed if flying in Basic Economy. Of the 40 to 50 people impacted, fewer than ten remained with United. Most deserted to Delta, some to American. Others are buying United tickets through a *A partner, but he expects that route will be shut down too.

I wonder does that sort of information filter its way back to the people who matter?
punishing your own employees travel because you didn’t get your ice cream? CEOs like this provide a good supply of employees for other businesses.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old May 23, 2024, 11:20 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by cmhua777
I am based in a UA hub, but am far from captive.

All of UA’s hubs, except DEN, have a lot of international carriers. Almost everywhere I fly - 90% international - requires a connection. Being GS keeps me on UA. If I wasn’t, I would hit 1K and the other $45k would go elsewhere. So it would be shortsighted to assume “hub-dwellers” are stuck. It’s true domestically but not so much internationally.

It’s hard to know what UA is planning this year. On one hand, having more GSs is a good thing for them. It improves loyalty without a lot of added cost. Very few benefits cost UA incrementally:
  • GS lobbies are built and staffed
  • GS phone agents aren’t dedicated
  • Upgrade space is handled through Revenue Management, and only offered if needed
  • Miles and Plus Points are awarded at exactly the same rate as 1Ks

The only benefit that has a potential cost, that I can think of, is the forced segment upgrade. It’s not an advertised benefit, most GSs likely don’t know it exists, and now that it’s limited to a single segment the risk/use is lower.

My takeaway is UA should welcome a manageable-sized GS population. It’s a powerful tool that generates loyalty. Reducing the ranks to create more exclusivity would be foolish, in my opinion.

If you assume the lowest qualification threshold, $50k, it means $26k ($50k-$24k 1K threshold) would be at risk from everyone being cut. That’s nowhere near the spend they put against the GS program.
What would be foolish is for those of us without any access to United's internal data to conclude on the basis of wild speculation that United is making a poor business decision in how it manages the GS population.
SPN Lifer and LaserSailor like this.
Old May 25, 2024, 4:33 pm

I have chased and achieved GS for over 10 years now. I must say though that I think this going to be my last year of the "chase" for many reasons:

1) United's flight cancellations, crew delays, equipment issues at non-United hubs has been staggering for me this year (ATL and DFW).
2) Aging fleet is substandard compared to many even on premium routes. The 777s with the 2-4-2 config are simply a joke.
3) SFO is my hub, however the maintenance issues here for United are way above normal. Its a mess here.
4) Fighting thru the multiple 1K folks at the gate because they have no other place to line up is just not what I feel like doing on every flight.
5) I do 65-75 of spend each year on J Fares but the per flight cost in comparison to Delta and American for the J Fares is just getting out of hand.

Anyone else feeling this way or am I just being unreasonable?
Old May 25, 2024, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ping191504
...4) Fighting thru the multiple 1K folks at the gate because they have no other place to line up is just not what I feel like doing on every flight...
Be a 1K. Problem solved.

I've flown UA 20 times so far this year. Only one extended delay. Experiences may vary, obviously.
Old May 25, 2024, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Be a 1K. Problem solved.

I've flown UA 20 times so far this year. Only one extended delay. Experiences may vary, obviously.
Yeah that's the problem -- I've had five flights this year and three went sideways -- all international.... One's individual experience always colors your opinion.....
Old May 27, 2024, 5:26 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Yeah that's the problem -- I've had five flights this year and three went sideways -- all international.... One's individual experience always colors your opinion.....

im just glad you made your GS challenge so that I am allowed to talk to you again.

Sushi in Sendai 2024!

after being axed from the GS program because most of my tickets were OPM
UA doesn’t care where the X= Yours or Others comes from in XPM
porciuscato and bmwe92fan like this.
Old May 27, 2024, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LaserSailor (Post # 66)
UA doesn’t care where the X= Yours or Others comes from in XPM
As set forth in this and similar threads:

If X = Corporation receiving a substantial negotiated discount, UA does not want to "pay" for their employees twice.

So, yes, UA cares where the Other People's Money (OPM) comes from.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old May 27, 2024, 7:57 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
As set forth in this and similar threads:

If X = Corporation receiving a substantial negotiated discount, UA does not want to "pay" for their employees twice.

So, yes, UA cares where the Other People's Money (OPM) comes from.
please publish an actual source for this statement.

and I don’t mean referencing someone who spent $60K and didn’t get GS….

Nobody knows for sure… and there’s contradictory evidence such as the ppl suddenly getting GS after being demoted (theory = demotion was a glitch, nothing to do with source of $).

The company I work for gets a substantial corporate discount (I’m guessing in top 20 customers), and I got GS with $50K spend… (booked via AmEx travel services). The majority of my tickets are Z fares.

My guess is they tweak their formula every year, taking into account frequency, hub, fare type, spend, etc. but a $ is a $, even if it’s a discounted fare.

for the ppl that didn’t make it with spend on 016 metal (minus starter bonuses etc) of over $60K I’d be interested to know what the breakdown of all their tickets / fare class was…
Old May 27, 2024, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
​​​​​​Obviously UA is not going to disclose their algorithms. All we can go by are reports of those affected, including you.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old May 27, 2024, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA 1k Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Dyce

Nobody knows for sure… and there’s contradictory evidence such as the ppl suddenly getting GS after being demoted (theory = demotion was a glitch, nothing to do with source of $).

The company I work for gets a substantial corporate discount (I’m guessing in top 20 customers), and I got GS with $50K spend… (booked via AmEx travel services). The majority of my tickets are Z fares.

My guess is they tweak their formula every year, taking into account frequency, hub, fare type, spend, etc. but a $ is a $, even if it’s a discounted fare.

for the ppl that didn’t make it with spend on 016 metal (minus starter bonuses etc) of over $60K I’d be interested to know what the breakdown of all their tickets / fare class was…
there’s tons of examples in the qualifying thread. I had 8 transatlantic round trips — mostly P/Z but a couple D/C Probably 20 little inter Europe segments that give close to $0 credit. 35 more domestic segments all booked in Econ.

lots of people did double what I did on OPM and are 1ks today.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 27, 2024, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Dyce

Over 200 people at my company, most of whom had been GS for several years, lost their GS status this year. My personal spend was over $130k all on United metal. I wasn’t the high spender. There were lots of examples of that this year discussed on the 2024 GS status thread. The common theme was people whose tickets were purchased via a corporate vendor. A couple weeks ago, the people at my company were returned to GS status. No explanation. Simply a “welcome to GS” email from United.
SPN Lifer and ContinentalFan like this.
Old May 27, 2024, 9:19 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
im just glad you made your GS challenge so that I am allowed to talk to you again.
Same here. ;-). For my part, Ive said for 4 years "this will be my last year of GS." Well this one truly will be. I gamed the Pass Plus thing for a while so that I tended to milk 2 years of GS out of each $50K. But it looks like they closed that loophole. And 2 years for $75K is still too much to fly on United.

I'm 700K from 3MM on United, but I am unlikely to go for it.

People say that the domestic 3 are all the same, but I find that the Alaska-Qatar-BA combination works pretty well. Alaska is awesome!
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old May 28, 2024, 8:50 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Originally Posted by Rock214
Over 200 people at my company, most of whom had been GS for several years, lost their GS status this year. My personal spend was over $130k all on United metal. I wasn’t the high spender. There were lots of examples of that this year discussed on the 2024 GS status thread. The common theme was people whose tickets were purchased via a corporate vendor. A couple weeks ago, the people at my company were returned to GS status. No explanation. Simply a “welcome to GS” email from United.
All 200 people got GS back?

You were at $130K, didn't make it, but now back to GS without explanation (just the email) -- you were one of the ones who got it back?
Old May 28, 2024, 9:16 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by physioprof
What would be foolish is for those of us without any access to United's internal data to conclude on the basis of wild speculation that United is making a poor business decision in how it manages the GS population.
Not sure why you quoted my post to make such a qualified, unrelated statement. I certainly didn’t conclude with “wild speculation” that “United is making a poor business decision.”

I simply said, in my opinion, it would be foolish to reduce GS population to create more exclusivity. There doesn’t appear to be a lot of incremental cost to adding one more GS and there are plenty of data points - me being one - where the program has increased loyalty.

Your point about not having all the information is correct. But by that logic, we should not have this speculative thread around 2025 “qualification insights and guesses.” We should shut it down because none of us have “access to United’s internal data.” - no guesses allowed.
Old May 28, 2024, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by jonisflying
All 200 people got GS back?

You were at $130K, didn't make it, but now back to GS without explanation (just the email) -- you were one of the ones who got it back?
Yes and Yes.
SPN Lifer, jonisflying and benewr like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.