Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS 2025 Qualifications …. planning, insights and guesses?

Old May 16, 2024, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA_Flyer
Copied and Pasted over from the 2024 GS Qualification Thread.

2024 GS Qualification spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Please enter as much data as you have available for prior years too.

Originally Posted by sgopal2
Here are links to spreadsheets from years past. Unfortunately I was not able to find the links for 2019, 2021 and 2022. If anyone has them, please post. This might be useful to look back at historical spends needed to qualify for GS:
Originally Posted by IAHMCI
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Moved the links plus 2019 to the wiki

Believe as 2021 and 2022 were blank extensions, not spreadsheets were created for those years
Print Wikipost

GS 2025 Qualifications …. planning, insights and guesses?

Old May 15, 2024, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Lightbulb GS 2025 Qualifications …. planning, insights and guesses?

We are almost at half way mark in 2024 and it is time to start discussing the GS qualification for 2025.
Several have met the challenges of spending $18K to reclaim the GS status they lost for 2024. Congratulations!

Now the planning starts for qualifying and requalifying for the 2025 year. UA has in the past rewarded high-value passengers around the half way mark to early admit new GS members. Not sure what they will do this year.

Last year's thread GS 2024 Qualifications …. Any guesses? had a lot of discussion with useful information in the wiki post. I have copied and pasted the entire wiki post to this thread.

If you are lifetime GS members, good job and congratulations!! No need to re-announce it here.

Good luck everyone and hope GS is in the future (2025) for you.
wxguy and manstein58 like this.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; May 16, 2024 at 2:02 pm
Old May 15, 2024, 6:53 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I made 1K after my simple GS challenge run to ZRH became an eye opening experience on what UA really values -- IMHO UA went too far and will lower the bar for 2025 -- but perhaps not as much as people hope.... I doubt I'll ever be GS again -- but after my JL experience flying to HND I'm not sure I care lol.... For someone that lives in Japan and the US the Japanese carriers -- for the same price (and often less) -- absolutely crush UA -- both hard and soft (at least from NYC).... As we near retirement age there is no more need to maintain GS as there is no longer that much benefit -- but in full disclosure we would save $40k per year as GS flying UA for the past 10 years as we would do this monthly -- so for that I give UA credit -- a quality hard product that we could rely on....

TBH we are now tired of the status chasing -- we just want a quality product aligned with what we pay -- UA will never deliver on that given the current leadership / strategy... The thought of a Japanese airline trying to figure out how to charge more for a first row seat is so foreign it's almost a joke -- while UA tries to figure out how to get people to pay more for slippers and pajamas -- or even food...

When we travelled back and forth 10 times per year UA offered value -- at 4 times per year -- not so much....
Old May 15, 2024, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If you are hitting the $75k level total, it seems like PassPlus might fit your travel since you can fly NH metal with it. Not JL though
Old May 15, 2024, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Current 1K here…I’m on course for my highest ever PQP year, probably will be close to 50k PQP by year-end if I had to guess here. That will include 3k or so earned from spend…would be curious if folks think that gets me over the hump as an EWR-based flyer.
Old May 15, 2024, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by findark
If you are hitting the $75k level total, it seems like PassPlus might fit your travel since you can fly NH metal with it. Not JL though
PassPlus is rarely an option for a lot of OPM travelers as it requires the commitment $ to be deposited up front.

I also think UA is going to double down on making it harder for travelers working for companies w/ large discounts to qualify for GS. I think this year's challenges were a bit light. My prediction is at least a 50% increase in the same challenge period.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 15, 2024, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
TBH we are now tired of the status chasing -- we just want a quality product aligned with what we pay -- UA will never deliver on that given the current leadership / strategy... The thought of a Japanese airline trying to figure out how to charge more for a first row seat is so foreign it's almost a joke -- while UA tries to figure out how to get people to pay more for slippers and pajamas -- or even food....
This. The idea that United would consider charging for services in Polaris shows just how out of touch their senior management really is. They might be attracting frequent flyers who are flying on OPM, but for those of us who are spending our own money and can afford it, we are going to look for value elsewhere.
Dyce likes this.
Old May 15, 2024, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Current 1K here…I’m on course for my highest ever PQP year, probably will be close to 50k PQP by year-end if I had to guess here. That will include 3k or so earned from spend…would be curious if folks think that gets me over the hump as an EWR-based flyer.
There have been some past reports of first-timers with high 40s spend, but given EWR and presumed higher qualification for 2025 (i.e., now somewhere north of 50K but who really knows?), I would guess not likely.

To be honest, I don't understand UA's strategy -- let's make it harder to earn GS so it's more exclusive as we continuously cut the benefits anyway.
Old May 15, 2024, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
PassPlus is rarely an option for a lot of OPM travelers as it requires the commitment $ to be deposited up front.

I also think UA is going to double down on making it harder for travelers working for companies w/ large discounts to qualify for GS. I think this year's challenges were a bit light. My prediction is at least a 50% increase in the same challenge period.
Could be wrong, but I don't think bmwe92fan is doing this travel on OPM. Agreed in general though.
Old May 15, 2024, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by findark
Could be wrong, but I don't think bmwe92fan is doing this travel on OPM. Agreed in general though.
Yeah - my comment was in general, not towards specific traveler.

Expanding further on my other comment, I do think UA is continuing to assess what to do about OPM GSs. A lot of GSs I worked with were definitely OPM travelers w/ a company receiving good discounts in Houston. Their travel options outside of UA were limited, so UA thinks there's some revenue to be gained if they're not GS. Many of them were not extended invites this year. Their families were used traveling large via GS benefits and now the (former) GSs are having to cough up a bit more $ for them to travel in the style they're accustomed to.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old May 15, 2024, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Given what happened previously to GS members, I’d say “no” and hope I’m wrong.
Old May 15, 2024, 11:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
.... UA has in the past rewarded high-value passengers around the half way mark to early admit new GS members. Not sure what they will do this year. .....
Not a GS but believe it has been a number of years since UA has made it a practice to do mid-year invites, at least for the past 5-6 years, based on FT reports. It was more common a decade ago.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 15, 2024, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Does it really matter anymore?
st530 and Polytonic like this.
Old May 15, 2024, 12:40 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by Dyce
Does it really matter anymore?
Few words but right over target
halls120 and Dyce like this.
Old May 15, 2024, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by st530
There have been some past reports of first-timers with high 40s spend, but given EWR and presumed higher qualification for 2025 (i.e., now somewhere north of 50K but who really knows?), I would guess not likely.

To be honest, I don't understand UA's strategy -- let's make it harder to earn GS so it's more exclusive as we continuously cut the benefits anyway.
I figured it was a long shot, and it's not something I was intentionally shooting for anyway - just ended up with a paid J fare at the end of the year to Oz that put me in the ballpark. Imagine my only chance is if I get sent overseas on more business travel that I am (currently) not anticipating, but I won't be going out of my way to try and hit GS for the sake of it.
Old May 15, 2024, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by st530

The UA strategy makes sense for UA and has been in play now for a few years.
  • Reduce the benefits for GS
  • Reduce the number of GS
  • Reduce the amount of $ and time spent on the GS program
They do this while propagating the "exclusiveness" of the program and encouraging consumers to strive for the vaulted "GS" status. Its epitomized here by many others that want to be GS, KNOWING that the program is a shell of its former self. There is a portion of the population that will irrationally strive for something because its "the top". I include myself in this demographic so don't take offence :-)
SPN Lifer, kirkwoodj and Dyce like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.