Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS 2025 Qualifications …. planning, insights and guesses?

Old May 16, 2024, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA_Flyer
Copied and Pasted over from the 2024 GS Qualification Thread.

2024 GS Qualification spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Please enter as much data as you have available for prior years too.

Originally Posted by sgopal2
Here are links to spreadsheets from years past. Unfortunately I was not able to find the links for 2019, 2021 and 2022. If anyone has them, please post. This might be useful to look back at historical spends needed to qualify for GS:
Originally Posted by IAHMCI
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Moved the links plus 2019 to the wiki

Believe as 2021 and 2022 were blank extensions, not spreadsheets were created for those years
Print Wikipost

GS 2025 Qualifications …. planning, insights and guesses?

Old May 28, 2024, 10:21 am
  #76  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: IAH & CMH
Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Posts: 801
Originally Posted by ytjk
there’s tons of examples in the qualifying thread. I had 8 transatlantic round trips — mostly P/Z but a couple D/C Probably 20 little inter Europe segments that give close to $0 credit. 35 more domestic segments all booked in Econ.

lots of people did double what I did on OPM and are 1ks today.
Inter Europe isn't on United metal so as you say $0 credit for that.

Lots of ppl with opposing experience of requalifying with $50K.

Result: conflicting data points so essentially unable to conclude / support the theory that United is 'throwing out' OPM if the fares have a corporate discount.

Originally Posted by Rock214
Over 200 people at my company, most of whom had been GS for several years, lost their GS status this year. My personal spend was over $130k all on United metal. I wasn’t the high spender. There were lots of examples of that this year discussed on the 2024 GS status thread. The common theme was people whose tickets were purchased via a corporate vendor. A couple weeks ago, the people at my company were returned to GS status. No explanation. Simply a “welcome to GS” email from United.
Right, so as I said in my original post - lots of examples (200 at just one company) that would suggest more of a (now corrected) IT glitch than targeting corporate discounted OPM
Dyce is offline  
Old May 28, 2024, 10:25 am
  #77  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 125
Originally Posted by Dyce
Right, so as I said in my original post - lots of examples (200 at just one company) that would suggest more of a (now corrected) IT glitch than targeting corporate discounted OPM
I’m guessing you didn’t go back and read the 2024 GS qualification thread. Start on page 20 and read to the end. It wasn’t a glitch.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Rock214 is offline  
Old May 28, 2024, 10:40 am
  #78  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster, GameStop, several library cards
Posts: 799
So whether it's $50K or $60K, are we saying you need to spend on biz seats? I fly a lot (and I mean a lot) behind the curtain, which would reduce my spend dramatically.
lessthanzero is offline  
Old May 28, 2024, 10:42 am
  #79  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: IAH & CMH
Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Posts: 801
Originally Posted by Rock214
I’m guessing you didn’t go back and read the 2024 GS qualification thread. Start on page 20 and read to the end. It wasn’t a glitch.
You didn't get GS. Blamed corporate discounts (without any official explanation). Got GS back with no official explanation. Yet don't think it was a glitch. OK.

Originally Posted by lessthanzero
So whether it's $50K or $60K, are we saying you need to spend on biz seats? I fly a lot (and I mean a lot) behind the curtain, which would reduce my spend dramatically.
Traditionally consensus has been ~$50K to make GS. Perhaps higher for first time invites and for hubs. Last year there were abnormalities of higher spend not qualifying which some speculated was United penalizing OPM when it was corporate discounts. Other data points contradict this.

I've not heard a suggestion that all the spend has to be on business, just total spend. In fact if I stripped out my personal 2023 spend on Y then I'm guessing my total real business spend PQP was ~$45K.... so I don't think fare class matters, at least not J vs Y
Dyce is offline  
Old May 28, 2024, 10:53 am
  #80  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Posts: 4,192
Originally Posted by Dyce
You didn't get GS. Blamed corporate discounts (without any official explanation). Got GS back with no official explanation. Yet don't think it was a glitch. OK.
I'm not going to go back & reassess, but my recollection of that discussion--which I read comprehensively and in detail at the time--was that the preponderance of the evidence was in favor of the conclusion that it was specifically very high spenders whose spend was via corporate contract that didn't get renewed for GS. There were also reports that when such fliers asked GS what was going on, they were told that it was not a "mistake". It thus seems pretty unlikely that this occurred due to an "IT glitch".
SPN Lifer likes this.
physioprof is offline  
Old May 28, 2024, 11:07 am
  #81  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 125
Originally Posted by Dyce
You didn't get GS. Blamed corporate discounts (without any official explanation). Got GS back with no official explanation. Yet don't think it was a glitch. OK.



Traditionally consensus has been ~$50K to make GS. Perhaps higher for first time invites and for hubs. Last year there were abnormalities of higher spend not qualifying which some speculated was United penalizing OPM when it was corporate discounts. Other data points contradict this.

I've not heard a suggestion that all the spend has to be on business, just total spend. In fact if I stripped out my personal 2023 spend on Y then I'm guessing my total real business spend PQP was ~$45K.... so I don't think fare class matters, at least not J vs Y
If you think hundreds of very experienced travelers who had enjoyed GS status for years and far exceeded normal requirements for what had gained them that status in the past, simply shrugged and didn’t directly correspond with United at multiple levels to find out why they were denied in 2024, you’d be wrong. I certainly did. And I received specific confirmation from United that the denial of the status was intentional. Not a glitch. Not a mistake. Not random. As did many people both at my company and others who all asked the same questions and got the same answers. And no, I will not provide you copies of that correspondence. I’m kind of guessing nothing would shift your guesswork.
Rock214 is offline  
Old May 28, 2024, 1:49 pm
  #82  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: AADULtArer
Posts: 6,057
Traditionally consensus has been ~$50K to make GS.
This condition has been necessary, but not sufficient, to make GS.
LaserSailor is offline  
Old May 28, 2024, 2:29 pm
  #83  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Posts: 6,973
Originally Posted by Rock214
Over 200 people at my company, most of whom had been GS for several years, lost their GS status this year. My personal spend was over $130k all on United metal. I wasn’t the high spender. There were lots of examples of that this year discussed on the 2024 GS status thread. The common theme was people whose tickets were purchased via a corporate vendor. A couple weeks ago, the people at my company were returned to GS status. No explanation. Simply a “welcome to GS” email from United.
Sounds like UA may have under-estimated the lost business from stripping you and your fellow high-spending co-workers of your GS status. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall of the conversation between your company’s travel manager and the UA sales rep.
SPN Lifer and bmwe92fan like this.
SS255 is offline  
Old May 28, 2024, 3:22 pm
  #84  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC / TYO / Up in the Air
Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Posts: 6,749
Originally Posted by SS255
Sounds like UA may have under-estimated the lost business from stripping you and your fellow high-spending co-workers of your GS status. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall of the conversation between your company’s travel manager and the UA sales rep.
I had to LOL when I read this as I thought the exact same thing - and then I thought of the famous scene in the Hangover where Bradley Cooper is at the side of the road and has to make the call -- "Listen, Well, ........... We....."
SS255 and jonisflying like this.
bmwe92fan is offline  
Old May 28, 2024, 6:48 pm
  #85  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster, GameStop, several library cards
Posts: 799
From casual observation, it would seem there are more GS's around now compared to earlier in the year (on the same routes).
lessthanzero is offline  
Old May 28, 2024, 10:07 pm
  #86  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: أمريكا
Posts: 26,796
Is the consensus that LH operated transatlantic flights on UA code shares don't qualify?
Doppy is offline  
Old May 28, 2024, 10:37 pm
  #87  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 11,813
Originally Posted by Doppy
Is the consensus that LH operated transatlantic flights on UA code shares don't qualify?
If it doesn't say "United" on the plane it doesn't count.
Doppy and SPN Lifer like this.
fumje is offline  
Old May 29, 2024, 3:51 am
  #88  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .58 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Posts: 15,574
Originally Posted by physioprof (Post # 80)
I'm not going to go back & reassess, but my recollection of that discussion--which I read comprehensively and in detail at the time--was that the preponderance of the evidence was in favor of the conclusion that it was specifically very high spenders whose spend was via corporate contract that didn't get renewed for GS. There were also reports that when such fliers asked GS what was going on, they were told that it was not a "mistake". It thus seems pretty unlikely that this occurred due to an "IT glitch".
Originally Posted by Rock214 (Post # 81)
If you think hundreds of very experienced travelers who had enjoyed GS status for years and far exceeded normal requirements for what had gained them that status in the past, simply shrugged and didn’t directly correspond with United at multiple levels to find out why they were denied in 2024, you’d be wrong. I certainly did. And I received specific confirmation from United that the denial of the status was intentional. Not a glitch. Not a mistake. Not random. As did many people both at my company and others who all asked the same questions and got the same answers. And no, I will not provide you copies of that correspondence.
Quite so. The burden of proof on speculation that the abrupt reduction in 2024 Global Services (GS) membership was due to a mere information technology (IT) "glitch" rests with the proponent.

There is ample evidence to the contrary in the 2024 Qualification thread, which many FlyerTalkers perused carefully as it was being created, and in other United Forum threads.

*** 2024 GS Notification Thread*** (including first time qualifiers & challenges)

As set forth therein, the use of other people's money (OPM) combined with corporate discounts appeared to be a negative factor for 2024 GS membership.

Anyone asserting to the contrary would do well to read those comments. The proponent of an alternate theory is welcome to collect those comments and rebut them if possible.

Of course, it is true that we can never know for sure, beyond a reasonable doubt, because this is UA proprietary information. But we can indeed form reliable conclusions based upon a preponderance of the available evidence.
Rock214 and physioprof like this.
SPN Lifer is online now  
Old May 29, 2024, 4:03 am
  #89  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: AADULtArer
Posts: 6,057
Originally Posted by lessthanzero
From casual observation, it would seem there are more GS's around now compared to earlier in the year (on the same routes).
my conclusion is exactly opposite. I’ve been solo GS on many EWR originations based on boarding and confirmed onboard

But we can indeed form reliable conclusions based upon a preponderance of the available evidence.
false. Evidence here is not random, and does not constitute a preponderance of GS activity.
LaserSailor is offline  
Old May 29, 2024, 4:18 am
  #90  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster, GameStop, several library cards
Posts: 799
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
my conclusion is exactly opposite. I’ve been solo GS on many EWR originations based on boarding and confirmed onboard
Very possible, but with the evidence in this thread that many have been reinstated, I'd still go with the hypothesis that there are now more GS's than at the beginning of the year. YMMV. 😉
lessthanzero is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.