Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS 2025 Qualifications …. planning, insights and guesses?

Old May 16, 2024, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA_Flyer
Copied and Pasted over from the 2024 GS Qualification Thread.

2024 GS Qualification spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Please enter as much data as you have available for prior years too.

Originally Posted by sgopal2
Here are links to spreadsheets from years past. Unfortunately I was not able to find the links for 2019, 2021 and 2022. If anyone has them, please post. This might be useful to look back at historical spends needed to qualify for GS:
Originally Posted by IAHMCI
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Moved the links plus 2019 to the wiki

Believe as 2021 and 2022 were blank extensions, not spreadsheets were created for those years
Print Wikipost

GS 2025 Qualifications …. planning, insights and guesses?

Old May 29, 2024, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .58 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer (Post # 88)
[ W]e can never know for sure, beyond a reasonable doubt, because this is UA proprietary information. But we can indeed form reliable conclusions based upon a preponderance of the available evidence. [Emphasis added.]
Originally Posted by LaserSailor (Post # 89)
false. Evidence here is not random, and does not constitute a preponderance of GS activity.
The evidence is indeed a preponderance of the "available" evidence, that is, what we have here on FlyerTalk.

It is quite true that FlyerTalkers are a self-selected sample, not representative of the GS population at large. Yet what is the purpose of FlyerTalk, if not to share and obtain information, draw conclusions therefrom, and act accordingly?

The conclusions to be drawn are not for a criminal conviction or scientific study, but to help in deciding our behavior. For example, newly demoted Premier 1K members need to figure out what, if anything, they can do about it. Whether to just accept it, collectively contact UA through their employer, seek a challenge, move spend to another carrier or carriers, etc.

This conclusion about UA being averse to "double discounts" through both GS membership and corporate discounts does indeed seem reliable enough to inform one's actions.

Yet we do all have different certainty requirements in deciding things.
jonisflying and physioprof like this.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; May 29, 2024 at 4:37 am
Old May 29, 2024, 4:39 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
The evidence is indeed a preponderance of the "available" evidence, that is, what we have here on FlyerTalk.

It is quite true that FlyerTalkers are a self-selected sample, not representative of the GS population at large. Yet what is the purpose of FlyerTalk, if not to share and obtain information, draw conclusions therefrom, and act accordingly?

The conclusions to be drawn are not for a criminal conviction or scientific study, but to help in deciding our behavior. For example, newly demoted Premier 1K members need to figure out what, if anything, they can do about it. Whether to just accept it, collectively contact UA through their employer, seek a challenge, move spend to another carrier or carriers, etc.

This conclusion about UA being averse to "double discounts" through both GS membership and corporate discounts does indeed seem reliable enough to inform one's actions.

Yet we do all have different certainly requirements in deciding things.
drawing conclusions is fine, it’s the best we can do. Calling them reliable based on data here, no.

Corporate travel is still down as companies struggle with the zoom teams video era. It will come back. We ran this experiment in the 90s, people forget.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 29, 2024, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .58 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LaserSailor (Post # 92)
drawing conclusions is fine, it’s the best we can do. Calling them reliable based on data here, no.
"Reliable" is a subjective term. The data and evidence, including the available sample, speak for themselves.
Old May 29, 2024, 5:07 am

Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster, GameStop, several library cards
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Quite so. The burden of proof on speculation that the abrupt reduction in 2024 Global Services (GS) membership was due to a mere information technology (IT) "glitch" rests with the proponent.

There is ample evidence to the contrary in the 2024 Qualification thread, which many FlyerTalkers perused carefully as it was being created, and in other United Forum threads.

*** 2024 GS Notification Thread*** (including first time qualifiers & challenges)

As set forth therein, the use of other people's money (OPM) combined with corporate discounts appeared to be a negative factor for 2024 GS membership.
I did read the other thread (and this one), and I find it plausible that UA has indeed ratcheted back on biz travelers, but I think we may conflating two things: OPM & Discounts. I'm not sure UA cares whether it is OPM or personal funds, and while they probably (and correctly) surmise that they need not offer as much extra inducement to a sale when using OPM, this is a harder argument. Both because GS not something that works in the moment, but instead directs an entire year of spend, and also because a lot of the time they simply won't know the source of the funds.

My bet is that they are simply trying to avoid "stacking" of sales incentives, and are wanting to protect their margins. Much like they only let UA metal flights qualify for GS since there is more margin than when booking partner flights, they don't want to also give out GS status in situations where they have already discounted the fares. Depending on how deep this discount is, this makes a ton of sense from a margin management perspective, and they are company, not just a flying collective.

That said, they one factor they may have overlooked is that even with special fare codes for companies, the decision making is distributed, and flyers optimize on what's good for them and not necessarily their employers. You may rthink that you have locked flyers in because they have a corporate rate, but only if those companies force their employees to use UA (which is often achieved by using an in-house travel office).

I just hope that my non-J spend will qualify me for 2025...
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by lessthanzero; May 29, 2024 at 9:40 am
Old May 29, 2024, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lessthanzero (Post # 94)
I think we may conflating t[w]o things: OPM & Discounts. I'm not sure UA cares whether it is OPM or personal funds, and while they probably (and correctly) surmise that they need not offer as much extra inducement to a sale when using OPM, this is a harder argument. . . .
Agreed. The discussion has been focused on discount-receivers as a subset of OPM, and not on OPM standing alone.
lessthanzero likes this.
Old May 29, 2024, 6:22 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Originally Posted by lessthanzero
I did read the other thread (and this one), and I find it plausible that UA has indeed ratcheted back on biz travelers, but I think we may conflating to things: OPM & Discounts. I'm not sure UA cares whether it is OPM or personal funds, and while they probably (and correctly) surmise that they need not offer as much extra inducement to a sale when using OPM, this is a harder argument. Both because GS not something that works in the moment, but instead directs an entire year of spend, and also because a lot of the time they simply won't know the source of the funds.

I just hope that my non-J spend will qualify me for 2025...
Great point on conflating these two things.

I might change the bolded line above (my bolding) to:

"...also because they might not always know the source of the funds."

If the travel is booked using a corporate travel site, like Concur, they certainly know the source of the funds.

And my guess is some (large) percentage of the people in question with GS have some large (ish) portion of their spend through one of these sites.

My spend comes from three sources:
  1. Work - booked through Concur, OPM, probably discounted fares
  2. My personal CC - booked direct with UA, not discounted
  3. My side business CC - booked direct through UA, OPM, (they don't know where that money is coming from), not discounted.
2 and 3 look the same to them.

I think, but have no idea, that more often than not they do know the source of the funds. But I could be totally wrong. There are a lot businesses out there that people book direct and get reimbursed. It is OPM but looks like personal spend.
SPN Lifer and lessthanzero like this.
Old May 29, 2024, 7:12 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by jonisflying
Great point on conflating these two things.

I might change the bolded line above (my bolding) to:

"...also because they might not always know the source of the funds."

If the travel is booked using a corporate travel site, like Concur, they certainly know the source of the funds.

And my guess is some (large) percentage of the people in question with GS have some large (ish) portion of their spend through one of these sites.

My spend comes from three sources:
  1. Work - booked through Concur, OPM, probably discounted fares
  2. My personal CC - booked direct with UA, not discounted
  3. My side business CC - booked direct through UA, OPM, (they don't know where that money is coming from), not discounted.
2 and 3 look the same to them.

I think, but have no idea, that more often than not they do know the source of the funds. But I could be totally wrong. There are a lot businesses out there that people book direct and get reimbursed. It is OPM but looks like personal spend.
Depends on the company configuration. I book through Concur for business and personal travel. Concur (AmEx) can be more or less than published fares on United.com. (Obv. I book personal travel on United.com when it's cheaper than Concur. Business travel has to be booked on Concur no matter that - makes no sense but that's corporate life for ya - may be bulk discounts applied at the corporate account level??).

I find it amusing that some ppl are adamant that United is penalizing discounted OPM without any proof other than someone on a phone said not renewing their GS wasn't a mistake. Even if it was true, that doesn't equate to United considering OPM discounted fares - there could be many other non published reasons. And if you believe everything Joe who's been a United customer service rep for two months says then I have a bridge to sell you... Some ppl are GUESSING this is the reason.

Many colleagues and myself did get GS on traditional amounts of spend, who most certainly get discounted fares. I'm just not buying (without real evidence - and yes, highly doubtful we're going to get that) that United is intentionally penalizing someone that spends over $100K because the fares are discounted. Makes zero sense. And conflicts with many ppl's actual experience.

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
This condition has been necessary, but not sufficient, to make GS.
Selective editing as my original quote was "Traditionally consensus has been ~$50K to make GS. Perhaps higher for first time invites and for hubs."
The tilda means approximate... which means can be higher or lower. There are reports of ppl getting GS on < than $50K spend, which isn't the norm.

Last edited by Dyce; May 29, 2024 at 11:22 am
Old May 29, 2024, 9:44 am

Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster, GameStop, several library cards
Much violent agreement here. Thanks SPN, Jonis and Dyce!
SPN Lifer and jonisflying like this.
Old May 29, 2024, 12:47 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Selective editing as my original quote was "Traditionally consensus has been ~$50K to make GS. Perhaps higher for first time invites and for hubs."
My point was not in conflict with your statement. I would amend that traditional consensus is that ~50k plus high yield were necessary conditions for GS, not just the total spend.
Old Jul 11, 2024, 12:04 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Just received a very strage email from Unitied - never saw one like it before. Are they trying to tell me I need to do more?
Here's what you need to know about requalifying.

Hi xxxxxx,

As one of our most valued members, you are probably already thinking ahead to 2025 status! So, we wanted to reach out to share some insight on qualifying for United Global Services®, our exclusive, invitation‍-‍only status, reserved for top MileagePlus® members.

We extend a limited number of invitations annually to select Premier® members based on their outstanding United® and United Express flight activity over the past several years. Unlike Premier status qualification, eligibility for United Global Services is not measured by the number of Premier qualifying points earned, but instead on several other criteria. Members who receive United Global Services invitations tend to increase their flight activity each year, fly in premium cabins, and purchase fully refundable tickets ‑ all exclusively on United. MileagePlus members directly influence the annual criteria, as we compare activity amongst our top fliers. Achieving status is very competitive each year, and previously holding United Global Services status doesn't guarantee a future invitation.

Get reacquainted with your benefits as a United Global Services member below. We look forward to seeing you on board soon!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 11, 2024 at 10:43 pm Reason: removed personal info
Old Jul 11, 2024, 12:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Originally Posted by Quiglemm
Just received a very strage email from Unitied - never saw one like it before. Are they trying to tell me I need to do more?
Here's what you need to know about requalifying.

Hi xxxxxx,

As one of our most valued members, you are probably already thinking ahead to 2025 status! So, we wanted to reach out to share some insight on qualifying for United Global Services®, our exclusive, invitation‍-‍only status, reserved for top MileagePlus® members.

We extend a limited number of invitations annually to select Premier® members based on their outstanding United® and United Express flight activity over the past several years. Unlike Premier status qualification, eligibility for United Global Services is not measured by the number of Premier qualifying points earned, but instead on several other criteria. Members who receive United Global Services invitations tend to increase their flight activity each year, fly in premium cabins, and purchase fully refundable tickets ‑ all exclusively on United. MileagePlus members directly influence the annual criteria, as we compare activity amongst our top fliers. Achieving status is very competitive each year, and previously holding United Global Services status doesn't guarantee a future invitation.

Get reacquainted with your benefits as a United Global Services member below. We look forward to seeing you on board soon!
I just got the same email.

I'm pretty sure that they are telling me I'm going to need to do more in order to qualify. I'm at 31K PQP and am only back as a GS this year after I met the $18K challenge (roughly $40K last year). I'm pretty sure that I won't get it.

Just to add, I've been booking some Economy fares and upgrading with PP lately and just booked an Award trip to Asia using Miles (thank you bmwe92fan ) - and looking for an Award / PN space flight to Europe this fall as well... so while I'm still flying, and spending, I'm not buying refundable fares and probably won't hit even the old "magic number" of $50K (not that they know all that). As much as I would love to keep GS, it just doesn't seem like it's in the cards for me!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 11, 2024 at 10:42 pm Reason: removed personal info
Old Jul 11, 2024, 12:23 pm

I also got the email and I am pretty far behind where I normally am in spending around this time in the year. One interesting thing is that I was forced to use a *A partner for a portion of the flight because of airspace restrictions in Russia and Iran. I found the line about "exclusively on United" to be interesting, considering in that case, I had no choice, as United had no flights to that part of India and was only offering the flights I took or an alternate on Cathay Pacific.
Old Jul 11, 2024, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.7MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I have not received this, already around $80K spend. PQP not a valid metric since one can have unlimited bonus PQP these days.
Old Jul 11, 2024, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
While not a GS, I got a similar email telling me I need to do more to retain 1K. They are right, but not if they prorate over the year.

They said I already qualified for Gold! Despite the fact that I have already passed threshold for platinum. And am a 1MM, so qualifying for gold is, well, a non event.

The long story is to say I take whatever data they are using a suspect at best. Enjoy your out of date and out of touch marketing email....
Old Jul 11, 2024, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
I am currently at $72K in spend on UA ($78K by the end of tomorrow) with another $30K booked. I have not received an email.

UPDATE: Email received.

Last edited by limey1K; Jul 11, 2024 at 1:09 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.