Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS 2025 Qualifications …. planning, insights and guesses?

Old May 16, 2024, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA_Flyer
Copied and Pasted over from the 2024 GS Qualification Thread.

2024 GS Qualification spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Please enter as much data as you have available for prior years too.

Originally Posted by sgopal2
Here are links to spreadsheets from years past. Unfortunately I was not able to find the links for 2019, 2021 and 2022. If anyone has them, please post. This might be useful to look back at historical spends needed to qualify for GS:
Originally Posted by IAHMCI
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Moved the links plus 2019 to the wiki

Believe as 2021 and 2022 were blank extensions, not spreadsheets were created for those years
Print Wikipost

GS 2025 Qualifications …. planning, insights and guesses?

Old May 15, 2024, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Current 1K here…I’m on course for my highest ever PQP year, probably will be close to 50k PQP by year-end if I had to guess here. That will include 3k or so earned from spend…would be curious if folks think that gets me over the hump as an EWR-based flyer.
Okay, but you're still relegated to flying ex-EWR, let's be realistic about service quality and delivery now ...

--

More on topic for the thread, with PassPlus jumping up to $75k (up from $50k) and the previous threshold being somewhere in the low 40s range, I figure at 15% discount from outright buying GS puts the new figure around $63k which is admittedly quite a steep increase year on year. Maybe UA will progressively raise it to this point over the course of a few years? Alternately, I'm paying about 25% more in airfare per segment compared to previous years, so by that metric, I'd guess the new figure ought to land somewhere around $55k for 2025.
Old May 15, 2024, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
With the 50% jump in PassPlus GS hurdle, higher airfares, and corporate culling this year, my guess is the notional $50k hurdle that’s been bandied about for years is history. The move of airport “GS agents” to “Premier Services agents” tells me the cull this year is just the start.

UA will have 10 months of data by December 1 to see how revenue from the culled GSs will compare to a similar period pre-cull - not just company spend, but personal spend, too. Loss of GS benefits might have resulted in overall increase in latter.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 15, 2024, 8:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
... The move of airport “GS agents” to “Premier Services agents” tells me the cull this year is just the start......
That occurred three years agao, not recent. UA Premium Service agents (GS, Polaris & UC agents) to wear gold banadana or ties
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 15, 2024, 10:29 pm

Programs: UA GS
After being GS since the beginning, I finally saw the light and spend my money with the airline that gives me the right value. My PQD with UA are just 9.4K YTD. With other airlines over 50k. Why? Because irrops handling at least for me was miserable last year. That was the main reason I maintained GS.
Dyce likes this.
Old May 15, 2024, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .58 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post # 1)
Last year's thread GS 2024 Qualifications …. Any guesses? had a lot of discussion with useful information in the wiki post. Please refer to last year's thread for background information. moderator Please consider moving the wiki posts to this year's thread.
Fortunately, anyone with 180 FlyerTalk (FT) posts and 180 days of FT membership can create or edit a wikipost.

That could include wholesale copying from last year, as a start.
Old May 16, 2024, 9:16 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by limey1K
The UA strategy makes sense for UA and has been in play now for a few years.
  • Reduce the benefits for GS
  • Reduce the number of GS
  • Reduce the amount of $ and time spent on the GS program
They do this while propagating the "exclusiveness" of the program and encouraging consumers to strive for the vaulted "GS" status. Its epitomized here by many others that want to be GS, KNOWING that the program is a shell of its former self. There is a portion of the population that will irrationally strive for something because its "the top". I include myself in this demographic so don't take offence :-)
If what "makes sense for UA" just means cutting costs, then sure.

As for people who just want the status--and I realize you're being somewhat tongue-in-cheek here--surely that's a tiny number. Most of the posters here who still strive for GS say they do so because they see still some residual value (besides status-seeking) in the program. For me, I still care because of PN. That's literally it. If that goes, so do I. There is a line for everyone where cost > benefit, and I wonder how far UA thinks it can push it. I personally think they are getting close to driving most strivers away, but who knows.

In the meantime, I'm aiming for 55K in 2024 and keeping my fingers crossed for 2025.
Chukiechz and benewr like this.

Last edited by st530; May 16, 2024 at 9:35 am
Old May 16, 2024, 11:24 am

Programs: AADULtArer
GS numbers have collapsed out of SFO post Covid, as corporations are questioning travel budgets.

Don't worry, they'll come back
Old May 16, 2024, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Fortunately, anyone with 180 FlyerTalk (FT) posts and 180 days of FT membership can create or edit a wikipost.

That could include wholesale copying from last year, as a start.
Thank you! Just did it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 16, 2024, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
GS numbers have collapsed out of SFO post Covid, as corporations are questioning travel budgets.

Don't worry, they'll come back
That kinda shocks me. Looking at SFO<>EWR flights a few weeks ago, I was amazed at how many flights were showing J9 and every other Business fare class bucket was 0'd out. I figured that meant that United was having no problem selling full-fare business tickets. I'm sure of those are EWR-based flyers, but certainly some were originating at SFO too.
LaserSailor likes this.
Old May 16, 2024, 4:36 pm

With the 50% jump in PassPlus GS hurdle, higher airfares, and corporate culling this year, my guess is the notional $50k hurdle that’s been bandied about for years is history. The move of airport “GS agents” to “Premier Services agents” tells me the cull this year is just the start.

UA will have 10 months of data by December 1 to see how revenue from the culled GSs will compare to a similar period pre-cull - not just company spend, but personal spend, too. Loss of GS benefits might have resulted in overall increase in latter.
Just anecdotally, but after being GS for 5 years and spending $130k on United tickets last year, and about the same on my United Chase Visa, after being axed from the GS program because most of my tickets were OPM, I have spent a total of $600 on United tickets and about $400 on my Chase Visa. At the same time, because I had accumulated so many frequent flyer miles on United, I’ve flown probably a dozen United flights using miles and have been upgraded to first on roughly half. Safe to say, United is losing a lot of money for dropping me from GS.

All that money went to One World carriers. I also switched all my credit card spending to an American Airlines card. I have found the quality of service and especially the food on One World carriers to be far superior to United’s and I’ve had no issues finding international flight substitutes to replace the United flights I used to take. In short, if United reversed course and offered to allow corporate travelers back into the GS program, I probably wouldn’t do it. I enjoy the service on One World as a 1k equivalent more than the service on United as a GS.
SPN Lifer, st530, Dyce and 3 others like this.
Old May 16, 2024, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Is “214” a reference to your location? A lot of UA flyers would make their work-related travel more difficult with a switch. UA (pre-merger) would never have worked for me while traveling heavily out of Houston.
Old May 16, 2024, 5:52 pm

Is “214” a reference to your location? A lot of UA flyers would make their work-related travel more difficult with a switch. UA (pre-merger) would never have worked for me while traveling heavily out of Houston.
No. I live near Denver. A major United hub. Most of my international flying required two legs to get to Denver. It still does. I just transit through different cities than I did on United. And because Denver is a major city, it’s served by every major airline and many smaller carriers.
United just built two new lounges in Denver and is building a third. But they are generally very crowded. American just built a new lounge as well. I prefer it to the United lounges. Much quieter and essentially the same food and drinks. Lesson learned is that flying out of a major hub can be a disadvantage because of the massive crowds transiting the airport. Flying on American out of Denver is like stepping into a refuge.
SPN Lifer and st530 like this.
Old May 17, 2024, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Rock214
after being axed from the GS program because most of my tickets were OPM.
May be I have not been following this trend, but it baffles me that flying on OPM has becoming a obstacle to make GS.

I made GS every year since inception on OPM, and made lifetime GS because of the work related travel.

Aren't high fare paying business travelers be the ones UA should be targeting regardless who pays for it?

Is it more to it than just OPM?
Old May 17, 2024, 8:52 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
May be I have not been following this trend, but it baffles me that flying on OPM has becoming a obstacle to make GS.

I made GS every year since inception on OPM, and made lifetime GS because of the work related travel.

Aren't high fare paying business travelers be the ones UA should be targeting regardless who pays for it?

Is it more to it than just OPM?
I've worked in Fortune 50 companies with contracts with UA -- and worked in PE with no contracts -- my take is that when UA signs a contract with big companies (i.e. Apple) and they get exclusive discounts -- UA now values those way less as the captive travelers have "no choice" from the perspective of UA -- so why give them GS status? Is this right -- depends I guess -- is this how Kirby runs an airline -- Yep...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .58 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Basically there were too many GS members after the Pandemic, and UA wanted to "cull the herd". So they decided to cut their corporate "captives" who get discounts and are "forced" to fly UA anyway.

But a few of those former GS members are not tied as closely by corporate policy as UA had imagined, and are transitioning to AA or DL.
ContinentalFan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.