FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread isTo split or not to split PNR
Print Wikipost

To split or not to split PNR {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I've also had experience clicking no to being added to upgrade list at check in to avoid a split. My experience with this is that you stay on the same PNR, but for the return, you will clear CPU per the way it's supposed to be done - together, based on status. However, if you don't clear by check in, you will not have an option to be added to the upgrade list, as their will be a do not upgrade notation on your record from the outbound. You'll have to find a really good agent, and have a bit of time to have this happen. In addition, youll only be allowed to be added at the airport of departure for each flight, meaning for any connection, you'll only be able to do this once you arrive at that connection point.
Wow, am I reading this right?? So if I had clicked No at check-in (and No only shows up if we didn't clear CPU which means we do actually want to be added to the upgrade standby list) then for the outbound my partner and I would be SOL until we get to the airport because not only did we not clear CPU, we are also not on the standby upgrade list because we opted out in order to keep our PNR together.

If I clicked Yes (which I did), our PNR gets split but we both get added to the standby upgrade list for the outbound flight, which is a good thing. But then we're screwed for the return flight, because my partner will no longer clear via CPU since she's on a different PNR now, AND won't get added to the standby upgrade list until we get to the airport.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, clicking No screws you for the outbound, clicking Yes screws you for the inbound? This then can only either be a strange bug in the system due to the merger, or more likely, someone at United/Continental figured out this loophole to reduce the number of complimentary upgrades offered (I call it a loophole because it's in direct contradiction/circumvents what United says their upgrade policy is for companions)...
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Welcome to the club: you've been SHAREd

Originally Posted by mike0822

So if I'm understanding this correctly, clicking No screws you for the outbound, clicking Yes screws you for the inbound? This then can only either be a strange bug in the system due to the merger, or more likely, someone at United/Continental figured out this loophole to reduce the number of complimentary upgrades offered (I call it a loophole because it's in direct contradiction/circumvents what United says their upgrade policy is for companions)...
You now understand what being SHAREd means. I think this might change for the better next year, but it's going to take a major reprogramming effort - unless you're correct that this is an intentional program benefit downgrade hiding behind a computer reservation smokescreen,
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mike0822
Wow, am I reading this right?? So if I had clicked No at check-in (and No only shows up if we didn't clear CPU which means we do actually want to be added to the upgrade standby list) then for the outbound my partner and I would be SOL until we get to the airport because not only did we not clear CPU, we are also not on the standby upgrade list because we opted out in order to keep our PNR together.

If I clicked Yes (which I did), our PNR gets split but we both get added to the standby upgrade list for the outbound flight, which is a good thing. But then we're screwed for the return flight, because my partner will no longer clear via CPU since she's on a different PNR now, AND won't get added to the standby upgrade list until we get to the airport.

Sort of. Clicking no, at least IME, can also screw you on the return, as when I did this, and didn't clear one segment on CPU, I did not get added to the list at check in, and had to take about 15 minutes at my connection point to be added (and didn't end up clearing).

Also, be careful about assuming that if you clear CPU on the outbound, you won't be asked the question about whether you want to be added to the upgrade standby list at the airport. I did get asked once (this was late March), after me and my wife already cleared. Being 4:30 in the morning, and not thinking, I clicked yes. PNR split, of course. And on the return, on one segment, we nearly got split up - I cleared CPU at window, while my wife was the last person upgraded at the gate (and only because I added her as my companion).
Old Aug 11, 2012, 9:30 am

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Expert Advice

Flying on an Award Ticket with 2 in a PNR to IAH/SJD using a card the gives upgrades to X and XN. I know the card works since I have booked many mileage tickets for others that clear.

Both of us are 1K.

Should I split?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
Did you tell the gate agent and get her listed that way as your companion?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Should I split this reservation?

Hi,

Thanks in advance for your comments. We are travelling DEN CLE MCO October 27th. Both legs are same flight no. 1279.

I am platinum and I have three silvers travelling with me on the same reservation.

Return flight is on Nivember 1st direct from MCO DEN flight 809.

Two questions:
1. For upgrade reasons should I split the PNR? If yes, is better to do 2 + 2 or 1 + 3?
2. If I do split, do the silvers loose their economy plus seat assignments?

Thanks again.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
To split or not to split? That is the question.

Hi, Both wife and I are 1K waitlisted for upgrades with GPUs on an upcoming EWR-AMS flight this week. We made the reservation back in April in V class, so I'm assuming that we should be at the top two on the upgrade wait list. Presently, we're on the same PNR and there are several seats left.

The question is should we should we split the PNR to improve chances for BOTH of us to be upgraded? In all likelihood, if just one gets upgraded, we'll downgrade to sit together for such a long flight. But my concern is that if we don;t split, CO could release one seat initially which gets grabbed by the following passenger, and then the second seat later. So better to wait it out and hope for the release of two seats at once, or split and hope for two seats at once or singly?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by denuaflier
Hi,

Thanks in advance for your comments. We are travelling DEN CLE MCO October 27th. Both legs are same flight no. 1279.

I am platinum and I have three silvers travelling with me on the same reservation.

Return flight is on Nivember 1st direct from MCO DEN flight 809.

Two questions:
1. For upgrade reasons should I split the PNR? If yes, is better to do 2 + 2 or 1 + 3?
2. If I do split, do the silvers loose their economy plus seat assignments?

Thanks again.
Hi,

I am unclear about the best way to split, as I am largely still confused about all the different scenarios.

But I CAN tell you that if you get your upgrade, any others in your party travelling with you that were originally seated with you in e+ will remain there at no charge. After you are upgraded, you can not add any companions into e+, but while you are still assigned to e+ (before upgrade clears) you can add anyone, I think up to 8 people, even if they are not on your PNR to sit with you. If and when you upgrade, they stay there for free.

One caveat is if there is a last minute equip change, if the e+ row/seat # they are in doesn't exist not on the new plane, they are randomly reassigned into regular economy (and likely not sitting anywhere near one another). Luckily, this is not terribly common.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 6:13 pm
FSU

Any risk in dividing a PNR?

Family of 4 currently booked ORD-EWR-IST-CPT-JNB-FRA-ORD,on United, Turkish, Lufthansa and South African on award tickets. I wanted to change the date on the CPT-JNB leg (South African) but there are only 3 available tickets on the flights we want. I though 2 of us could fly on one flight and the other two on the flight leaving 15mins later. In order to do this the United agent said we must split the PNR, 2 confirmation numbers.

I was about to go ahead, but thought I should check here if this might cause any problems with any of our existing flights.

Thanks
Old Nov 11, 2012, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by FSU
Family of 4 currently booked ORD-EWR-IST-CPT-JNB-FRA-ORD,on United, Turkish, Lufthansa and South African on award tickets. I wanted to change the date on the CPT-JNB leg (South African) but there are only 3 available tickets on the flights we want. I though 2 of us could fly on one flight and the other two on the flight leaving 15mins later. In order to do this the United agent said we must split the PNR, 2 confirmation numbers.

I was about to go ahead, but thought I should check here if this might cause any problems with any of our existing flights.

Thanks
I wouldn't do it if I were you unless you don't mind that the two smaller groups may end up flying on two completely different routes and time when there is an irrops! It looks like a very complex reservation with many airlines involved.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 8:55 pm

Very good chance the divide message will not reach the other carriers correctly and there will be some problem along the way.

Even changes to the original itinerary on partner awards can be risky but are better than dividing.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 6:23 am
FSU

Originally Posted by chuck1
Very good chance the divide message will not reach the other carriers correctly and there will be some problem along the way.

Even changes to the original itinerary on partner awards can be risky but are better than dividing.
I really wanted earlier flights so I decided to call back and have the PNR split. This time a reached a Premier agent (since I have no status, I reached an overseas agent on the earlier call when I was told to divide the reservation). She seemed very informed and warned me not to split. "With this complicated itinerary and 4 airlines you are almost guaranteed to have problems." I ended up taking her advice, kept us all together on a new less desirable time on a South Africa leg.

It was interesting following what she did online. First I saw the switched flight listed in the online itinerary with a warning that a change had been made and I needed to call United to re-ticket. She kept me on hold for about 10 minutes and said she had made sure the new tickets had gone through. Sure enough that warning disappeared from the itinerary.

Dealing with the Premier Desk is a great perk. Too bad these agents cant help all customers.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Splitting a PNR - any dangers?

I have (after some battling) got flights I want for me and the Mrs as follows:

NYC-IST-MLE-CMB-SIN-NRT-NYC

Unfortunately due to several equipment changes I lost my I class seats and am stuck in X. Flying on Turkish, Singapore and ANA for these.

I am waiting away for 2 seats to open up and I think in vain, but I think that 1 might, then another may or may not later. Therefore, if I confirm availability in X for this itinerary is in place and then call to split the booking into 2 separate tickets I think I might increase the chance of one or both of us getting into I class, the most desirable I being the NRT-NYC Leg.

If I split, are there any dangers - I guess I could lose the original seats I have (hence me wanting to confirm on Expert Flyer that there is a buffer first) but are there any other red flags or problems I could run into?

I have no status with UA, any fees to worry about? If the only fee is to change class from X-I (and that happens twice) then I would be happy with it.

Thanks!
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:08 am

Downsides to splitting a PNR?

I have an award reservation with 2 legs of what I'm hoping to be a 4 leg trip.

Due to availability, I'm waiting on the remaining flights. Unfortunately only 1seat has come available so far, so I need to split the PNR to book that one ticket.

Are there any downsides to splitting the PNR? FWIW the ticket is all premium cabin (business and first).
Old Feb 8, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Doom and gloom aside, it's just a little harder to rebook if/when IRROPs occur.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.