Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
To split or not to split PNR {Archive}

Details:
Premier Gold
BOS-CLE tomorrow at 6PM.

Just hoping that somebody has a good feel for the odds of keeping my non Premier companion on the same PNR vs splitting for what looks to be a pretty open flight. Roll the dice and get both, or split and somewhat likely get just one?

Thank you,

SI
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1PP MM
Originally Posted by Surface Interval
Details:
Premier Gold
BOS-CLE tomorrow at 6PM.

Just hoping that somebody has a good feel for the odds of keeping my non Premier companion on the same PNR vs splitting for what looks to be a pretty open flight. Roll the dice and get both, or split and somewhat likely get just one?
Current Seats? Does F get dinner?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 15, 2012 at 5:13 pm Reason: fix html
Old Jul 15, 2012, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Data point: I decided to keep things together as there is no meal and it is a fairly short flight. Score! The Mrs will be happy - and so will I.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Data point: I decided to keep things together as there is no meal and it is a fairly short flight. Score! The Mrs will be happy - and so will I.
I think it was the right decision even if you don't score the upgrade. Good lucks!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
In general if you do not want to sit apart then I would not split the reservation; if you don't mind that only one of you gets the upgrade then split it; you always have a better chance of getting at least one upgrade.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Well, if your last name begins with "MIT" then it looks like both of you scored an upgrade!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold
UDU with 1 Plat and 2 Golds on PNR

Hey guys..

A friend of mine was told by united that he was skipped over for a UDU because he had 4 people on the same PNR.

Is this true? any luck? Should I just have them separate the pnr?

I am a plat and have two golds on my pnr for an upcoming trip
Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Im not the expert but I have had my girlfriend and myself on the same record before and about T-24 out, I split the record and *poof* my upgrade went through. I am 1K and she is gold.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:30 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

You need to separate the PNR if you want to get CPU. You can do it 1-1-1 or 1-2. For maximum odds 1-1-1 is best.

I would advise splitting the PNRs into three different PNRs, however, you will be at risk of getting split in IRROPs.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold
Originally Posted by golfingboy
You need to separate the PNR if you want to get CPU. You can do it 1-1-1 or 1-2. For maximum odds 1-1-1 is best.

I would advise splitting the PNRs into three different PNRs, however, you will be at risk of getting split in IRROPs.

IRROP?? Not sure i know what that is
Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by ericjkelly
Irregular Operations. Mechanical issues, weather, etc.

Hey guys..

A friend of mine was told by united that he was skipped over for a UDU because he had 4 people on the same PNR.

Is this true? any luck? Should I just have them separate the pnr?

I am a plat and have two golds on my pnr for an upcoming trip

Things have changed since the merger...

The way it works now, is that if you have ONE other person in your record (elite or non-elite), they will be upgraded at window of the highest ranking elite in the reservation if space is available. If you have more than two people, all elites, upgrades will start clearing based on the lowest elite in the reservation. If you have more than two people, at at least one is not elite, you will not clear for CPUs in advance -- you must split your PNRs for CPU to process. If you don't split beforehand (and I don't know why you wouldn't)...You'll automatically be split at check-in if you want to go for the battlefield upgrade.

Pre-merger, I used to book separate PNRs all the time. Now, it's a benefit for me to have the Mrs. on my reservation with me (she is a Gold) because she is effectively treated as a 1K for CPU purposes. But, if there is anyone else traveling with us they go on their own reservation.

In your example, you should split one Gold off of your PNR.

Last edited by TommyC80; Aug 3, 2012 at 1:53 pm
Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
irregular operations -- in this case, cancelled flights, changed aircraft, ...
Old Aug 4, 2012, 8:06 am

I'm Gold. My wife is General Member. Would make sense to upgrade only her using miles and take my chances on UDU? In that scenario would I still have to split the PNR?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:36 am

Did I just screw over my non-elite friend on the return flight: Split PNR at check-in

First time dealing with having a PNR that included both myself (premier gold) and my friend (non-elite) since the merger. During online check-in, there was this question about asking if I wanted to split the PNR to get an upgrade. Or something along those lines... in hindsight I wish I read it better. But essentially, I clicked OK and our PNR got split into two, and we both got put on the upgrade standby list, so I thought nothing of it.

I've since been confirmed for my upgrade, and my friend is still first on the upgrade standby list, so I'm not too worried about our outbound flight. What I am worried about though is the return flight. When the PNR was split, did it still assign her my gold status? I'm guessing not, since when I go into her PNR, economy plus seats cost $$. So what happens when the return flight comes around: is she now not eligible to be put on the upgrade list, since her PNR has been split off from mine? Or does the system know to still automatically add her to the upgrade list with premier gold status?

And as a sidenote: did I mess this up, or is the site just confusing as hell? Was I supposed to refuse the PNR split during online check-in? The way it was phrased made it seem like we would be turning down our UDU option if I opted out of splitting.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mike0822
What I am worried about though is the return flight. When the PNR was split, did it still assign her my gold status? I'm guessing not, since when I go into her PNR, economy plus seats cost $$. So what happens when the return flight comes around: is she now not eligible to be put on the upgrade list, since her PNR has been split off from mine? Or does the system know to still automatically add her to the upgrade list with premier gold status?
To answer your question, the way the benefit is described, it is supposed to assign her your status throughout the itin. In reality, including personal experience, it doesn't. Agents should be able to tell through the PNR that it was split but the computer, ie CPU system, can't.

You should be able to add her as your companion at the airport on your return, in which case, she'll be on the list right after you, or if you clear beforehand, based on your status.

I've also had experience clicking no to being added to upgrade list at check in to avoid a split. My experience with this is that you stay on the same PNR, but for the return, you will clear CPU per the way it's supposed to be done - together, based on status. However, if you don't clear by check in, you will not have an option to be added to the upgrade list, as their will be a do not upgrade notation on your record from the outbound. You'll have to find a really good agent, and have a bit of time to have this happen. In addition, youll only be allowed to be added at the airport of departure for each flight, meaning for any connection, you'll only be able to do this once you arrive at that connection point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.