FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - To split or not to split PNR {Archive}
View Single Post
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:10 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mike0822
Wow, am I reading this right?? So if I had clicked No at check-in (and No only shows up if we didn't clear CPU which means we do actually want to be added to the upgrade standby list) then for the outbound my partner and I would be SOL until we get to the airport because not only did we not clear CPU, we are also not on the standby upgrade list because we opted out in order to keep our PNR together.

If I clicked Yes (which I did), our PNR gets split but we both get added to the standby upgrade list for the outbound flight, which is a good thing. But then we're screwed for the return flight, because my partner will no longer clear via CPU since she's on a different PNR now, AND won't get added to the standby upgrade list until we get to the airport.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, clicking No screws you for the outbound, clicking Yes screws you for the inbound? This then can only either be a strange bug in the system due to the merger, or more likely, someone at United/Continental figured out this loophole to reduce the number of complimentary upgrades offered (I call it a loophole because it's in direct contradiction/circumvents what United says their upgrade policy is for companions)...
Sort of. Clicking no, at least IME, can also screw you on the return, as when I did this, and didn't clear one segment on CPU, I did not get added to the list at check in, and had to take about 15 minutes at my connection point to be added (and didn't end up clearing).

Also, be careful about assuming that if you clear CPU on the outbound, you won't be asked the question about whether you want to be added to the upgrade standby list at the airport. I did get asked once (this was late March), after me and my wife already cleared. Being 4:30 in the morning, and not thinking, I clicked yes. PNR split, of course. And on the return, on one segment, we nearly got split up - I cleared CPU at window, while my wife was the last person upgraded at the gate (and only because I added her as my companion).