Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 29, 2024, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles

SQ awards can be booked online but SQ generally does does not release to its *A partners all routes or all cabins -- especially the more premium cases

Old information
================================================== ===========
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

I wanted to give you an early heads up about an upcoming change to the Star partner award availability you see displayed online. Singapore Airlines and United have agreed to remove Singapore Airlines inventory from our award flight search results on united.com and on the United Mobile App. This will take effect starting tomorrow, December 13, You will still to be able to book and change award reservations involving Singapore Airlines by calling our reservations lines.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying questions, and Ill do my best to answer them.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
The fee for non-premier to book awards through the call center will NOT be waived as per:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
As most have you has suspected, unfortunately we're not waiving the booking fee. The simple reason--and this is a consistent policy across all airlines which are not yet online--is that there is substantial additional work required to price and ticket these awards in our contact centers.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
This is currently the policy

Update: SQ's statement on the recent change:

Originally Posted by SQ
Each Star Alliance member carrier may choose how to fulfill such redemptions differently, which we have no influence over.

For example, some Star carriers may choose to allow their respective frequent flier programme members access to redemption online or offline, depending on their respective platforms.
Print Wikipost

Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by johnmont
Classic.

Reading FlyerTalk prior to today, you'd think no one has ever have been able to book an SQ award flight on United's site. Yet remove the functionality and there's hell to pay.

And yes, I know I'm exagerrating...people have been able to book SQ award flights. Just find it all a bit amusing...
The past discussion about SQ has all but invariably been about getting F seats on newer gauge.

It has also been about award ticketing glitches, which is not something specific to SQ.

SQ on the old gauge is nothing special. However for Australia to Asia it is the about the only *A game in town, so combined with UA dropping BKK, this is a major devaluation of the program.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mre5765
However for Australia to Asia it is the about the only *A game in town, so combined with UA dropping BKK, this is a major devaluation of the program.
I believe TG, OZ, and CA all connect to Australia.

"Major" devaluation is thus perhaps something of an overstatement. Particularly since this is not (so far as we know, at least) a reduction in availability, but merely in ability to search and book online.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I believe TG, OZ, and CA all connect to Australia.

"Major" devaluation is thus perhaps something of an overstatement. Particularly since this is not (so far as we know, at least) a reduction in availability, but merely in ability to search and book online.
It is "major" for us who live in Japan. The local UA MP office is not available after hours and limited on Saturdays, unlike in the U.S. where it is a 24 hr operation. The only option to call is using Skype or Google Talk and dial the U.S. number. Since we can't see it on the website any longer, it sure is a major headache. I use them to NZ all the time and then connect to Oceania. NZ in J out of NRT has very limited availability.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 11:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
It is "major" for us who live in Japan. The local UA MP office is not available after hours and limited on Saturdays, unlike in the U.S. where it is a 24 hr operation. The only option to call is using Skype or Google Talk and dial the U.S. number. Since we can't see it on the website any longer, it sure is a major headache. I use them to NZ all the time and then connect to Oceania. NZ in J out of NRT has very limited availability.
It may be a "major" headache for you, but it is not a "devaluation."

How many award tickets per year do you book on SQ?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:08 am

Programs: United, SQ
I live in SIN and put my weekly SQ flights into my UA account...ouch. Was already bidding farewell to the 30k R/T intra-Asia awards, now this...
Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:11 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Seems like this is part of UA's plan to generate revenue from fees while doing their $2B in cuts. Wouldn't surprise me if UA takes LH off their website next year.

Definitely keeping your customers loyal, Jeffy
Old Dec 13, 2013, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by sbm12

We don't know all the details and they are not going to tell us all the details. Sucks, but that's the way businesses operate. We're just customers.
you forgot the quotes around "customers".

-David
Old Dec 13, 2013, 1:48 am

Programs: UA 1K
Anyway you slice it this is UA's fault. Either:
1) This originated with UA. Obviously UA's fault.
2) This originated with SQ. UA's fault for having a contract with SQ that allows SQ to dictate which distribution channels UA uses.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 1:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by unavaca
The quote was from before I learned to read and realized UA Insider's post was about other UA partners not bookable online, not OAL charging phone fees. Try and keep up with the thread
They (booking channel and booking fee) are married together in some cases and separated in other cases.

UA has decided to make more bookings cash and miles bookings and increase the cash cost charged to customers redeeming miles.

Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
They don't...it's gone there too.
LM shows SQ. I just booked 7 tickets there. And 1 with NH.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 13, 2013 at 5:58 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 13, 2013, 2:45 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Just realized my upcoming Singapore Airlines award was booked through SQ ... website couldn't find the flights I wanted (found them separately but not together). Called in, didn't get charged a phone fee, and even got the 15% mileage discount that is reserved for online bookings. Thank goodness for Krisflyer.

As for SQ awards available to UA ... I've booked many SQ awards with UA/US miles, some in economy, some in business, some in first (and all after the merger). None during the systems changeover in July 2012 (all those tickets were flown by July 2013 btw). This is an unfriendly move.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 3:15 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by GUWonder
LM shows SQ. I just booked 7 tickets there. And 1 with NH.
For when...and where (not intra Asia?) ...because I see flights into early Jan...then nothing.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 5:39 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by sbm12
All due respect, but if you give us no other options then it isn't really our fault that it costs you more to process the transaction. If I choose to use a rep when I have other options I can understand (sortof) penalizing me. But when your website no longer supports the valid and legitimate options permitted by your rules then than's not my fault. Making me pay in that case is pretty crappy.
Just as USDM (RIP) waives phone booking fees for *alliance redemptions since they do not offer that facility online!
Old Dec 13, 2013, 5:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

There was plenty of SQ availability for me when searching with LM the last weeks, even for the 2 seats I was looking for in C.... then 2 days ago nothing but economy.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 5:58 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Ugh. SQ's *g program stinks enough in terms of bonus miles I was thinking of just sticking with UA point depositing despite my move to SG.

Those intra-Asia and Asia to Europe flights were the ones I wanted. I should really just go to another quasi-functional 'alliance', as most of my travel could be well served by OW or Skyteam.

The award redemption might be crap with skyteam, but if I need to call the US and sit on hold to try to find something on SQ, forget it. Especially since as of Feb, I get to burn a lot more miles for the privilege.

How is it that in an increasingly technological world phone reservations only makes sense to anyone?!?!

Perhaps I make a bold move and collect on ANA?

Last edited by Singapore_Schwing; Dec 13, 2013 at 5:58 am Reason: Further ramblings...
Old Dec 13, 2013, 5:58 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life & Marriott lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by CelticIAH
I live in SIN and put my weekly SQ flights into my UA account...ouch. Was already bidding farewell to the 30k R/T intra-Asia awards, now this...
Fully agree - For any asian based UA elite, this is all about accumulation of targeted "friendly" news Beyond the award chart devaluation, one might also mention :
  • End of NRT to BKK and NRT to HKG routes
  • No more RPU for intra asian flights (they just vanished overnight, zero warning)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.