Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles

Old Dec 16, 2013, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
SQ awards can be booked online but SQ generally does does not release to its *A partners all routes or all cabins -- especially the more premium cases


Archive: Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Singapore Airlines (SQ) award booking experiences using United miles

Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:42 pm
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NC
Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 12,002
When does SQ release first class space to partners? two weeks out? I recognize that it may only be on non-US routes like EU-SIN or SIN-South Pacific. But, just wondering when to start looking.
SkyTeam777 is online now  
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:20 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,355
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
When does SQ release first class space to partners? two weeks out? I recognize that it may only be on non-US routes like EU-SIN or SIN-South Pacific. But, just wondering when to start looking.
Sorry to break it to you that SQ bookings via Mileage Plus are kaput. See:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...g-sq-gone.html
transportprof is offline  
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:29 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Posts: 2,349
Originally Posted by transportprof
Sorry to break it to you that SQ bookings via Mileage Plus are kaput. See:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...g-sq-gone.html
Even if that wasn't happening, I still don't think SQ F would be (has been) bookable by the vast majority of *A partners except perhaps their special friends at LH?
wheresmybagba is offline  
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:36 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 21,632
Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
Even if that wasn't happening, I still don't think SQ F would be (has been) bookable by the vast majority of *A partners except perhaps their special friends at LH?
Correct, and I dont think theres an exception for LH, either. There was a brief period about two months ago where Suites awards were available on SIN-AKL but, other than that, the only F awards Ive seen for partner bookings are the old regional F product, which I think theyre still offering on SIN-CGK.
jsloan is offline  
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:26 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: LAX
Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Posts: 656
I was actually able to book one of the SIN-AKL suite awards, and am traveling on that ticket two weeks from today. I also scored a return AKL-SIN-TPE in J on SQ with 777-300ER and 787-10 service respectively.

Last year, I was also able to use United miles for J class on SQ with their best product on intra-Asia routes.
FoxFlyer is offline  
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:29 am
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 56,708
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
just wondering when to start looking.
Don't bother. Not going to happen.
Kacee is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:43 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 878
What happens when a partner segment is in economy, but your ticket is charged as business?

I need CAI-ATH-FRA, but the CAI-ATH is economy at this point, while ATH-FRA is in J.

The trip is still a few few months out, so I am hopeful space will open up.

Is it possible to upgrade the CAI-ATH economy segment to business if space opens up w/o fees and without requiring space for the ATH-FRA to also available?

Aeroplan, AA, UA and others allow you without an issue. I cannot find datapoints on SQ.

I cannot firn any datapoints on SQ.
coltonatx is offline  
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:53 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 21,632
Originally Posted by coltonatx
What happens when a partner segment is in economy, but your ticket is charged as business?

I need CAI-ATH-FRA, but the CAI-ATH is economy at this point, while ATH-FRA is in J.

The trip is still a few few months out, so I am hopeful space will open up.

Is it possible to upgrade the CAI-ATH economy segment to business if space opens up w/o fees and without requiring space for the ATH-FRA to also available?

Aeroplan, AA, UA and others allow you without an issue. I cannot find datapoints on SQ.

I cannot firn any datapoints on SQ.
Is this question about SQ (belongs in the SQ forum)? Or about UA?

Despite your statement, UA wouldn't allow you to do this without the appropriate change fee, and generally ATH-FRA would need to be available as well (this part is more hit-or-miss).
jsloan is offline  
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:56 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Posts: 410
Is booking an award itinerary on SQ risky?

I have inquired over phone about an itinerary on SQ. The first agent gave me available flights (in June) - I wasn't ready to book. I called back next day (yesterday) and the agent told me they have an order not to book any awards on SQ until further notice. Assuming I can get an agent like the first, would I risk booking a reservation that may ultimately be cancelled by SQ or is it worth a shot?
nycflyer222 is offline  
Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:07 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC (Primarily EWR)
Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Posts: 9,045
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
I have inquired over phone about an itinerary on SQ. The first agent gave me available flights (in June) - I wasn't ready to book. I called back next day (yesterday) and the agent told me they have an order not to book any awards on SQ until further notice. Assuming I can get an agent like the first, would I risk booking a reservation that may ultimately be cancelled by SQ or is it worth a shot?
Why not? Worst thing that happens is you get miles redepositied. I think its unlikely you show up at the airport to find your ticket was canceled.
PsiFighter37 is online now  
Old Apr 19, 2019, 7:28 pm
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 56,708
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
Assuming I can get an agent like the first, would I risk booking a reservation that may ultimately be cancelled by SQ or is it worth a shot?
If it tickets, it will likely stick.

Note that there are many other ways to book SQ awards. AV Lifemiles is generally cheaper than UA.
Kacee is offline  
Old Apr 20, 2019, 6:18 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Posts: 410
After several attempts, was able to book an award on SQ by phone - ticketed! Only J was available, of note..
nycflyer222 is offline  
Old Apr 20, 2019, 6:26 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 12
Did you call UA to book SQ? When I called, the rep cannot see any SQ flights. BTW, I don't have any status with UA so I call the general phone line
AirMike is offline  
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:44 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Posts: 410
Originally Posted by AirMike
Did you call UA to book SQ? When I called, the rep cannot see any SQ flights. BTW, I don't have any status with UA so I call the general phone line
Yes - I had to call and reached Premier desk. I find calling late at night helps with wait times, with or without status. You have to keep calling until you can find an agent who can figure it out - I went through three who couldnt do it, but the last one could!
nycflyer222 is offline  
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:51 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NYC
Programs: UA: GS, MM; Marriott: PP
Posts: 18
Originally Posted by nycflyer222


Yes - I had to call and reached Premier desk. I find calling late at night helps with wait times, with or without status. You have to keep calling until you can find an agent who can figure it out - I went through three who couldnt do it, but the last one could!
Thanks for sharing. Please let us know which route you were able to book on SQ.
StephenSamuel1234 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.