Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best *G IAD Lounge for UA flyers {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best *G IAD Lounge for UA flyers {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2020, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by chrisny2
They had 2 reds and 2 whites and Prosecco when I visited. I had a Bordeaux and ALSO some Turkish Raki Liqueur. The wine was nice enough, though, as shown below, only available in plastic cups. The Turkish liqueur was a fun treat and went well with the cookie. (and yes, at the hour I stopped at the LH lounge, it was dry.)

Cookie says "Enjoy by 9/19/20" and your post is dated 10/15/20. I'm hoping that you just waited a month to post this?

EDIT: Ah, I see your photo was taken on 9/18/20
Old Oct 22, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Limited ? Have you been to the UA Lounge lately ?
Looks like you haven't been reading the United Club thread... I've made the exact same comments about United Clubs and the lack of anything.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 1:59 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
best Star Alliance lounge

Right. So I transit IAD 4/x year. I know all about the UCCs. This thread is about the best Star Alliance lounge. Previously, I said the TK loiunge is one of the best. So complaining its limited w/o mentioning the alternatives is a tad misleadling IMO.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 2:25 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Right. So I transit IAD 4/x year. I know all about the UCCs. This thread is about the best Star Alliance lounge. Previously, I said the TK loiunge is one of the best. So complaining its limited w/o mentioning the alternatives is a tad misleading IMO.
They're all very limited. I'm not trying to make any comparison, just saying what I saw at TK today.

And yeah, before covid the TK lounge had excellent food&beverage, I have also wrote that here before.
Old Oct 22, 2020, 4:26 pm

read it. Cut & paste here :

Best IAD Lounge

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 8, 20, 9:06 pm - Wikipost

TomMM, what is your point ?
Let it go...
Old Oct 22, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
For those with Priority Pass, right now then AF lounge is unquestionably the best option in IAD. They have a full bar - including Champagne - and the highest quality prepackaged food options I've seen in the COVID-era. Also, as of now there are no access restrictions for PP members (previously, the peak evening hour was off-limits for PP).

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 23, 2020, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Before it gets mentioned that it is not a *A lounge, I would point out that it is the closest lounge to the A gates, when UA is flying out of there. That is why I used to visit them and Virgin Atlantic (still closed), I don't know if many UA flights are flying out of there these days.
Old Oct 23, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Artpen100
Before it gets mentioned that it is not a *A lounge, I would point out that it is the closest lounge to the A gates, when UA is flying out of there. That is why I used to visit them and Virgin Atlantic (still closed), I don't know if many UA flights are flying out of there these days.
I was flying from Philadelphia to IAD the other day I was scheduled into A6 until the last moment we arrived at D36. I was totally bummed because I really wanted to go to AF with PP

Last edited by Flying Machine; Oct 23, 2020 at 8:43 pm
Old Oct 24, 2020, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was at the AF, LH and TK lounges earlier this week.
AF overall is the best, especially re Champagne and wine selection. Food variety is also the most diverse. (Details reported above)

LH has a very nice salad, wrap & sandwich selection: good-sized portions, very fresh & great tasting (tried the Cesars salad & the chicken wrap). The big drawback here: no beer, wine, drinks whatsoever.

TK midday offered: Hard-boiled eggs, Garbanzo bean salad, Eggplant salad, Turkey sandwich. All those items were packed in transparent plastic containers. Plus Cheeezit crakers, prepacked chocolate chip cookies. The turkey sandwich was filled with very tasty smoked turkey breast (better than AF).
There is a bar (manned, no self-service) in the back offering standard liqueurs and raki, and a selection of 3 red and 3 white wines, but no sparkling wine. I found the red Zinfandel quite pleasing. Due to few visitors the bar was not permanently staffed, requiring to ask upfront for a drink. A staff would then come back to the bar to pour. A refill required the same procedure.

TK lounge white wines

TK lounge red wines

TK lounge food spread
Old Oct 24, 2020, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
For a lifetime United Club member, it sounds like LH for food and TK for wine is the way to go.
Old Oct 27, 2020, 11:42 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by eng3
Cookie says "Enjoy by 9/19/20" and your post is dated 10/15/20. I'm hoping that you just waited a month to post this?

EDIT: Ah, I see your photo was taken on 9/18/20
Yup, I was responding to someone's inquiry about the offerings, so I went back and grabbed a picture I had taken a few weeks prior
Old Oct 28, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Stopped by all the lounges today quickly.
AF was most crowded, LH and TK were nearly empty.
I agree on the food assessment mostly. AF has the best overall selection and quality. TK worst. TK has better cookies than AF. AF has brownies but they were dry. AF sandwiches look like they are on better bread but teeth had trouble getting through it. I liked LH more. AF has fresh fruit. TK has some turkish style salads but I did not find them to be off his quality. Great to be different but quality matters too

AF has a new procedure where you need to put on provided disposable gloves to grab the packages foods. LH and TK don't require this. Seems a bit pointless but I'm sure it's good PR. I went to The Club in SEA this morning and there was an attendant that would hand you whatever you requested. So everyone seems to be making up something.

AF is certainly most convenient if you are doing out of A. If you are at A and have more than 20min, you can get some exercise and stop by the *G lounges. There is just some risk that the hours are different. My flights always arrive around 4-430. That's the most annoying thing about these lounges.

Last edited by eng3; Oct 28, 2020 at 3:56 pm
Old Feb 16, 2021, 10:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
There was an ice storm when I was flying out last Saturday, so I left my apartment in DC very early to get to the airport before the roads got too bad. Here are IAD updates:

LH - Pretty sparse buffet still - individually packaged wraps and chicken caeser salad. No alcohol. A few cans of soft drinks.

LH IAD Chicken Parmesan Mayo wrap

TK - Friendly service as always, most of the bar was available - but no Turkish liqueur this time. The buffet had packaged fresh items like turkey sandwich, tabbouleh salad, cookies.

TK IAD Buffet with COVID precautions

TK IAD Sandwich, salad, cookie

Air France - Nicest, most pleasant lounge for relaxing. Buffet has prepacked fresh items, as well as a variety of finger snacks, crisps, etc. Full bar including French wines and champagne (of course.) One strange thing, the orange cheese, typically cheddar in that box, was replaced with a Kraft-Singles type cheese food. This lounge is still, in my opinion, the best option at IAD.

AF IAD charcuterie box, ham, cheese and butter on baguette, champagne.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Gold
I will be flying from IAD on ET501 in business class in May. Is there a UA lounge at Dulles I can use before boarding ET 501 at 11:00am on May 6? Should I have breakfast at the hotel before I leave for thee airport or will there be something to eat in the lounge? Is the IAD lounge a Polaris one or UC?
Old Feb 20, 2021, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by susiesan
I will be flying from IAD on ET501 in business class in May. Is there a UA lounge at Dulles I can use before boarding ET 501 at 11:00am on May 6? Should I have breakfast at the hotel before I leave for thee airport or will there be something to eat in the lounge? Is the IAD lounge a Polaris one or UC?
You can use the United Club. Rather than do that, though, I would advise going to the TK lounge. It will be both closer and better in its limited selection. The Polaris lounge is not yet open.

However, if you'd like a proper breakfast you'll need to eat at the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.