Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

1K Threatened with Ban for Accepting First Class Meal In Coach

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1K Threatened with Ban for Accepting First Class Meal In Coach

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2023, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jxd
But she was rude, condescending and threatened to put him on the no fly list (which she has no authority to do so).
The Reddit post as expected has been removed - however, if I remember correctly she did not threaten to put him on a no fly list (since she obviously cannot do so) but said his actions could land him on a no fly list - I took that mean if things escalated further.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 6:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by jxd
What he did wasn't the problem. The problem was the way the purser handled it. If the purser came to him and told him nicely he couldn't have it, it wouldn't have been an issue at all. But she was rude, condescending and threatened to put him on the no fly list (which she has no authority to do so). I believe that is what ticks so many people off.
There's also the possibility that when someone is telling a person that they can't have something, that person is by default rude based on clouded judgement.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PTahCha
There's also the possibility that when someone is telling a person that they can't have something,.
well - they can’t have something that they were already served.
I think we can say this is a first where a passenger is ordered not to eat a meal served to them by airline employees.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mama
I don't think a manager is a good analogy to a pursuer. A manager in a typical corporate have the power to give raises to employees or discipline/fire employees. A pursur does not.
No. The majority of managers in corporate America do not set salaries and hire/fire. Smaller companies, yes, but not medium/large corporate America. Most corporate managers provide performance rating to upper management, who dole out the raises and set salaries throughout the company. A lot of hiring is at mid/high levels of management and new hires are doled out to lower-managed teams.

But, yes - pursers are not "managers" - they are more "team leads". They do have a bit of responsibility - making sure everyone's there, makes cabin assignments, makes sure everyone's aware of any pertinent new notices, and reporting any cabin maintenance/repair needs, staff/passenger issues at end of flight,etc. The purser, as the team lead, did have the authority to tell the FA not to provide a customer in coach w/ a F meal. The FA should have not taken the meal into coach once asked by purser. The situation would have been avoided if the FA complied. The OP actually posted he wasn't actually expecting to get the pasta.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 9:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Noanker1
well - they can’t have something that they were already served.
I think we can say this is a first where a passenger is ordered not to eat a meal served to them by airline employees.
Yes, far more common on UA is the passenger telling the FA "I can't eat this."
Old Aug 6, 2023, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by SWCPHX
I'm surprised that Reddit has left the real names in the post because at least one of the FAs named in the post has a very unique, easily Googleable name, and could reasonably be identified.

Another reason to avoid using sites liked Linkedin.
Pretty amazing amount of information in the public view, including previous complaints against the FA, lawsuits, and her PPP loan status, etc.
SWCPHX and nexus7556 like this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 6:09 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Pretty amazing amount of information in the public view, including previous complaints against the FA, lawsuits, and her PPP loan status, etc.
Parents, this is an easy lesson for you also. Don't give your child some unique unusual name that may bite them in the future.
iluv2fly and zombietooth like this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
The Reddit post as expected has been removed - however, if I remember correctly she did not threaten to put him on a no fly list (since she obviously cannot do so) but said his actions could land him on a no fly list - I took that mean if things escalated further.
Even without authority, the mere suggestion from the FA of adding someone to the no fly list (in this event) is the display of authoritarianism. The passenger did nothing wrong.
SPN Lifer and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 9:42 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The OP may have been removed from Reddit, but there is now a new thread on Reddit with updates...including follow up from corporate and what happened on a later flight when the FAs realized he was the pax involved in the manicotti incident.
https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedairli..._reporting_me/
Old Aug 7, 2023, 10:54 am

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aoumd
The OP may have been removed from Reddit, but there is now a new thread on Reddit with updates...including follow up from corporate and what happened on a later flight when the FAs realized he was the pax involved in the manicotti incident.
https://www.reddit.com/r/unitedairli..._reporting_me/
Judging by the comments and upvotes in that new post, the tide seems to be turning against the offended passenger.

The response by UA does seem as expected. UA isn't going to reveal the punishment to the FA and we all are almost certain she won't be fired. All corporations seems to say something to the effect of "This is an internal matter and we can't reveal the results of any internal investigation but rest assured that we are addressing your concerns."

I am sort of surprised that the higher level customer service rep didn't seem to know the details of the incident but I guess the didn't take the time to actually read the whole narrative.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 11:10 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
Judging by the comments and upvotes in that new post, the tide seems to be turning against the offended passenger.

The response by UA does seem as expected. UA isn't going to reveal the punishment to the FA and we all are almost certain she won't be fired. All corporations seems to say something to the effect of "This is an internal matter and we can't reveal the results of any internal investigation but rest assured that we are addressing your concerns."

I am sort of surprised that the higher level customer service rep didn't seem to know the details of the incident but I guess the didn't take the time to actually read the whole narrative.
Hmmm - the reddit user seems to be doubling down naming people against the rule of reddit so that post will eventually come down.- pretty much every single comment to the reddit post is negative against the op - it is written like someone who had a few to many cocktails.

My personal opinion - the reddit user seems to be taking this to an obsession level/vendetta - the bolded below seems over the top and leave that out of the public domain and naming the Executive Care Contact probably isn't a great idea either.

no compensation and the outcome of the “investigation is private”. But I have some work arounds.

Nonetheless, I have a couple of colleagues and friends who work in various parts of the company and they have said they are bringing it up to their management teams and contacts.

One of my contacts knows the pilot in command of the aircraft and is reaching out to the PIC to get some more information and details but wanted to wait a few days before initiating contact.
HaleiwaFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 11:27 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Hmmm - the reddit user seems to be doubling down naming people against the rule of reddit so that post will eventually come down.- pretty much every single comment to the reddit post is negative against the op - it is written like someone who had a few to many cocktails.

My personal opinion - the reddit user seems to be taking this to an obsession level/vendetta - the bolded below seems over the top and leave that out of the public domain and naming the Executive Care Contact probably isn't a great idea either.

no compensation and the outcome of the “investigation is private”. But I have some work arounds.

Nonetheless, I have a couple of colleagues and friends who work in various parts of the company and they have said they are bringing it up to their management teams and contacts.

One of my contacts knows the pilot in command of the aircraft and is reaching out to the PIC to get some more information and details but wanted to wait a few days before initiating contact.
Moral of the story, quit while ahead, especially when you have the public opinion's positive view of your story. Being over the top/trying to get workarounds that the public doesn't have, quickly sours that positive public view point.
SPN Lifer, DJ_Iceman, Mama and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...My personal opinion - the reddit user seems to be taking this to an obsession level/vendetta - the bolded below seems over the top and leave that out of the public domain and naming the Executive Care Contact probably isn't a great idea either...
He's also exposing the FA who provided him w/ meal to probably some unwanted attention within UA. The FA acted against the instructions of the purser to create the situation, so she's open to counseling. Both of them will probably get some words from UA. The issue's public, he's made his displeasure known, and UA is aware of the situation. Probably just needs to move on and let UA handle as they see fit.

"I have a friend who knows the pilot" is a ridiculous addition to his argument. The flight's over - pilots are not wanting to have an FA-centric incident following them out of the plane. What does he expect the pilot to add to this??? Just tells me he's obsessed w/ this.
Old Aug 7, 2023, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SWCPHX
Parents, this is an easy lesson for you also. Don't give your child some unique unusual name that may bite them in the future.
tell me about it.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
"I have a friend who knows the pilot" is a ridiculous addition to his argument. The flight's over - pilots are not wanting to have an FA-centric incident following them out of the plane. What does he expect the pilot to add to this??? Just tells me he's obsessed w/ this.
He probably felt humiliated after begging for food and was given, then refused. I don't understand why a person of high self esteem would ask for leftover food in the public. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 7, 2023 at 2:18 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 7, 2023, 12:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb

Maybe the mom with the missing lacrosse equipment can use the help more than the manicotti guy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.