Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

1K Threatened with Ban for Accepting First Class Meal In Coach

1K Threatened with Ban for Accepting First Class Meal In Coach

Old Aug 6, 2023, 8:04 am

But then what qualifies someone as a "purser"? Just the most senior cabin crew member?
Old Aug 6, 2023, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by pampa
Seriously, this is a domestic first class meal. This is not a Michelin star restaurant.

And if someone gets a first class meal in coach and I don't I would think it was a nice gesture from the FA for a reason. Maybe they got downgraded from first class, or they missed their connection and it wasn't their fault, or they're the FA's friend. Whatever. Let them be.

If I had to choose between those two FA for a flight, I'd definitely pick the generous one even if I'm not the one to get the meal. The other one sounds tiresome.
exactly. was downgraded from J to Y on a LHR-ORD flight, and ended up getting all the services from J from the inflight crew.
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 9:10 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
I thought there were no power tripping FAs on UA?
Well, somehow they found one. But this almost sound personal between the FAs and the passenger was just the excuse for the one to go after the other.

Originally Posted by mahzor
the purser who wrote up the first FA is a legacy holdover from continental with a gigantic amount of seniority, she won't be fired.
I can't see how any FA is authorized to threaten a passenger with a flight ban because of what is essentially another FAs actions. The "purser" needs counselling.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Again - the purser was well within her duties to say "no", and the FA should have acquiesced. The FA disobeyed and took a F meal back, anyway. That is the whole problem here.
Genuine question, on a US airline can a purser or lead tell another FA what to do? I have heard the lead FA or purser gets a minimal amount of additional pay to take care of paperwork as we all as execute normal FA duties.
SPN Lifer and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by flyMu
But then what qualifies someone as a "purser"? Just the most senior cabin crew member?
domestically you can bid for any position to work. some avoid purser or fc like the plague & some only do coach or only do Y if the purser position is in open time, no quals needed for a $1 or $2 extra per hour. Theres no paperwork involved unless there is a deviation of service or irregular situation<manicotti scandal be damned!>
Old Aug 6, 2023, 10:26 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by uanj

Genuine question, on a US airline can a purser or lead tell another FA what to do? I have heard the lead FA or purser gets a minimal amount of additional pay to take care of paperwork as we all as execute normal FA duties.
Unlike non-US airlines, the purser position does not have a supervisory role. Rather, it's more like a coordinator, but the purser has no authority to reprimand.

On domestic flights, sometimes it may be the most junior FA, as it's more work in F + all the announcement duties.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PTahCha
On domestic flights, sometimes it may be the most junior FA, as it's more work in F + all the announcement duties.
Sometimes very literally! Flying SJC-IAH a few weeks back we had a training crew on board. The lady that introduced herself as the purser, and made all of the standard announcements, was a trainee FA who who was probably in her early 20's, and who (based on what we were told on the flight) was still a few flights off graduating as an FA. The nerves and inexperience were clearly showing as she did the announcements, but she did a great job regardless!

In fairness, after she'd done all the initial announcements a second FA introduced herself as the "2nd purser" and explained about the trainee crew (they had an additional FA on board for each of the trainees, although they did spend most of the flight doing nothing which I'm guessing was the intent).
Old Aug 6, 2023, 10:54 am
Suspended

If they have gone through the Amtrak onboard employee training program, there would be.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Unlike non-US airlines, the purser position does not have a supervisory role. Rather, it's more like a coordinator, but the purser has no authority to reprimand.

I assume this means that the purser had no authority to override or attempt to override the Manicotti serving FA in the first place. And to then not only give contradictory instructions but also unwarranted threats to a 1k. Purser continues to sound like a nightmare and its a title without power apparently.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyMu
Not every FA wants to be a purser - you have to apply and get additional training - you get paid a little more money.

Originally Posted by Noanker1
I assume this means that the purser had no authority to override or attempt to override the Manicotti serving FA in the first place.
A purser certainly has the authority - but that was ignored by the FA. It isn't much different than if your manager tells you not to do something - and you do it anyway. Happens all the time.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 1:16 pm

youre confusing international purser (trained etc) & dom purser.
SPN Lifer, nnn, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Time for the Meme from Star Wars? Take your pick from ROTJ or ROTS (rebel fighter faced with too many TIE fighters or young Jedi child facing Anakin before he kills all the young Jedi).

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Old Aug 6, 2023, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
A purser certainly has the authority - but that was ignored by the FA. It isn't much different than if your manager tells you not to do something - and you do it anyway. Happens all the time.
I don't think a manager is a good analogy to a pursuer. A manager in a typical corporate have the power to give raises to employees or discipline/fire employees. A pursur does not.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by cyborg
Time for the Meme from Star Wars? Take your pick from ROTJ or ROTS (rebel fighter faced with too many TIE fighters or young Jedi child facing Anakin before he kills all the young Jedi).

Cheers,

-Cyborg
Naw - some folks is just cranky.

Back to topic - some FAs are nice, some FAs aren't.

David
Old Aug 6, 2023, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CALMSP
exactly. was downgraded from J to Y on a LHR-ORD flight, and ended up getting all the services from J from the inflight crew.
That is IMO a very different scenario.
Santander likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 6:23 pm
jxd

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
It's a good thing to talk to FAs to show them they're regarded as real live people and not just servants.

The Reddit OP, who seems like a nice enough fellow, did say something that struck me as going a little too far. He reminded the FA that she said on the first flight she would try to get him an F meal on the second flight. If the FA remembered on her own during the second flight, fine, but making the first move to remind her implies some kind of expectation for service that goes beyond the flight itself. That's starting to venture into unreasonable or inappropriate territory.
What he did wasn't the problem. The problem was the way the purser handled it. If the purser came to him and told him nicely he couldn't have it, it wouldn't have been an issue at all. But she was rude, condescending and threatened to put him on the no fly list (which she has no authority to do so). I believe that is what ticks so many people off.
Mama, Noanker1 and wrp96 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.