Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

1K Threatened with Ban for Accepting First Class Meal In Coach

1K Threatened with Ban for Accepting First Class Meal In Coach

Old Aug 5, 2023, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
...Thread would probably just be a complaint about a coach passenger getting special treatment and an F meal and some would probably speculate that a non Rev was getting special treatment....​​​
You just proved the point. Today's flying environment is fraught w/ passengers reacting badly to perceived wrongs. I think it was a UA plane that had to land because some bozo actually in F was having a hissy fit that he couldn't get his choice of mediocre UA food. UA already gives 1KS and GS in coach the benefit of free food and drink. Other passengers don't even know it nowadays, because the FAs see the status in their device. And that's a good thing. Status really plays out at boarding - no need to stratify openly in coach in the middle of the air.

Again - the purser was well within her duties to say "no", and the FA should have acquiesced. The FA disobeyed and took a F meal back, anyway. That is the whole problem here.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 5, 2023 at 1:10 pm
Old Aug 5, 2023, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flying_geek
I have no idea how many EXPs were on that flight - I doubt I was the only one - though was far back on the 2nd coach bulkhead - but not everyone gets an upgrade - I am OK if some of us (and not always me) is getting a little extra service.
Here is the issue though - while you might not care if someone gets a F meal in Coach - certainly others will.

That is why you need guidelines. Sure some guidelines can be discretionary but giving a Coach passenger an F meal seems to cross the line - at least to me.

I've had FA's go above and beyond for me in Coach (usually extra drinks - and I assume they are doing the same for others) - but they are discreet in what they do. Plopping down a F meal isn't exactly discreet.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
On the surface this seems less about the passenger and more about workplace issues between the two FAs.
Sounds like both FAs need some serious re-training. Both were wrong in their actions.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
And if the FA invited the schmoozer (excuse me - "decent enough customer") up front after the plane left w/ one seat open because GA forgot to clear upgrade list (and you were #1 on list)? That would be really "special", wouldn't it ? Would you write in and compliment UA for having such a thoughtful FA?
That is not the same. I would have been entitled to something and I didn't get it. A couple of weeks ago I was on a BA flight where the FA came and told they guy next to me that they had a seat open in F - they seemed friendly. Don't care if that guy was non-rev, the 4th cousin of the king or a boyfriend of an FA. I wasn't entitled to the F seat and I got everything I was entitled to.
jordyn, SPN Lifer, HNL1K and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 1:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Another instance where the story is only one sided. And written quite dramatically. The reddit post is written so dramatically it is hard to take at face value. I wish we could get the Pursers side of the story.

Besides the fact 1K's and GS aren't as special as they think they are - The FA had no business whatsoever giving a F meal to anyone in coach. As pointed out before, certainly other 1K's and possibly GS in coach would have observed this and the FA crossed several lines in giving a F meal to someone in Coach. The purser was absolutely correct in reprimanding the FA. I'm a bit skeptical of all the alleged "berating" but I do agree the coach passenger should have been told that is not allowed. The purser knows they don't control no fly lists and i''m skeptical of that interaction as well.
Assuming the story is remotely accurate, the only aspect I take issue with is the FA (purser?) allegedly threatening the passenger with with a "ban." An FA offers a passenger some food that she isn't supposed to, and the other FA berates the passenger for accepting it? Absolutely ridiculous.

I was on a TCON once with a supervisor. I got upgraded, she didn't. When the FA came by to take my drink and meal order, I explained the situation and asked if it would be possible for her to take the glass of wine I would be served and give it to my supervisor (sitting in the first row of coach - only if that would be OK. She said no problem, and she didn't get berated for doing it and I didn't get threatened for asking.
IndyHoosier and northinsouth like this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy gold
You just proved the point. Today's flying environment is fraught w/ passengers reacting badly to perceived wrongs. I think it was a UA plane that had to land because some bozo actually in F was having a hissy fit that he couldn't get his choice of mediocre UA food. UA already gives 1KS and GS in coach the benefit of free food and drink. Other passengers don't even know it nowadays, because the FAs see the status in their device. And that's a good thing. Status really plays out at boarding - no need to stratify openly in coach in the middle of the air.

Again - the purser was well within her duties to say "no", and the FA should have acquiesced. The FA disobeyed and took a F meal back, anyway. That is the whole problem here.
The FA should have been reamed out by the purser. Not the passenger.

Purser should be fired summarily. If Sara Nelson objects, tell the union to strike and then hire non union crew.

FA probably also should be fired, however
rhwbullhead likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flying_geek
That is not the same. I would have been entitled to something and I didn't get it. A couple of weeks ago I was on a BA flight where the FA came and told they guy next to me that they had a seat open in F - they seemed friendly. Don't care if that guy was non-rev, the 4th cousin of the king or a boyfriend of an FA. I wasn't entitled to the F seat and I got everything I was entitled to.
So, "doing something nice for a decent enough customer" doesn't count in the case of her upgrading him to F in front of you. Seems like "being nice" varies on how you are affected. It was OK for her to ignore the purser and be nice to the decent enough customer with the F meal, but it's not OK for her to ignore the upgrade list and be nice to the decent enough customer with an upgrade? Only some rules apply?
chavala and DiamondMile like this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by halls120
Assuming the story is remotely accurate, the only aspect I take issue with is the FA (purser?) allegedly threatening the passenger with with a "ban." An FA offers a passenger some food that she isn't supposed to, and the other FA berates the passenger for accepting it? Absolutely ridiculous.

I was on a TCON once with a supervisor. I got upgraded, she didn't. When the FA came by to take my drink and meal order, I explained the situation and asked if it would be possible for her to take the glass of wine I would be served and give it to my supervisor (sitting in the first row of coach - only if that would be OK. She said no problem, and she didn't get berated for doing it and I didn't get threatened for asking.
I had a CPU taken away after already sitting in my F seat at the gate. I don't remember the circumstances but it probably was the person with the paid F seat arriving a little before the flight closed out. One of the FAs offered me an F meal and brought it back to me. Don't think anyone was fired.
SPN Lifer and bocastephen like this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
So, "doing something nice for a decent enough customer" doesn't count in the case of her upgrading him to F in front of you. Seems like "being nice" varies on how you are affected. It was OK for her to ignore the purser and be nice to the decent enough customer with the F meal, but it's not OK for her to ignore the upgrade list and be nice to the decent enough customer with an upgrade? Only some rules apply?
No. One is a taking away something that a customer is entitled to - while the other case is providing something to someone in excess of what that person is entitled to. I would agree that FA1 needs to listen to the purser.
SPN Lifer and leftysauce like this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: $9 Fare Club
You're missing the bigger point here Houston Oil dude, the policy re F meals is something for the FAs to figure out between themselves.

That interaction with the 1K should absolutely result in that pursers dismissal.

If one of my employees acted in that manner to a client of ours, they're gone. Absolutely justifiable 'cause', and I'd be astounded if UA don't have something similar in their contracts.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 1:33 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
There are too many 1K's already. -1 entitled 1K means more upgrade space for the others who are 1K. Kissing up to FA has no place. To be nice -- sure. To kiss up and accept favors ..... the OP deserves to have their hand seriously slapped back to non-1K land IMO.

The FA who provided the favor should deserves to be written up. Quite sure UA has a rule somewhere that says F food cannot be served to non-F passenger.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 1:35 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by mahzor
with a gigantic amount of seniority, she won't be fired.
Seniority has absolutely no affect on disciplinary proceedings.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
1Ks can't get FA dismissed, only GS.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
There are too many 1K's already. -1 entitled 1K means more upgrade space for the others who are 1K. Kissing up to FA has no place. To be nice -- sure. To kiss up and accept favors ..... the OP deserves to have their hand seriously slapped back to non-1K land IMO.

The FA who provided the favor should deserves to be written up. Quite sure UA has a rule somewhere that says F food cannot be served to non-F passenger.
The OP should have their status taken off them? Is that your position?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 5, 2023 at 2:21 pm Reason: stick to the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Aug 5, 2023, 1:39 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
You're missing the bigger point here Houston Oil dude, the policy re F meals is something for the FAs to figure out between themselves.

That interaction with the 1K should absolutely result in that pursers dismissal.

If one of my employees acted in that manner to a client of ours, they're gone. Absolutely justifiable 'cause', and I'd be astounded if UA don't have something similar in their contracts.
While I agree with you, I think we'd all agree here that there's no way this purser gets fired by UA. I say that even if the interaction went exactly as the reddit post described it. I'm sure the purser is denying it and saying the passenger was exaggerating and it would be her word versus his.

I wonder if they will even bother with involving that department that was mentioned in the TPE passenger thread (someone reported they were contacted by special department of UA for their story about the SFO-TPE flight that diverted back to SFO bc of a disruptive passenger). I'm guessing they won't: management will just reprimand both FAs and that's all.

Only way I see a senior position FA getting fired is outright physical assault, maybe drunkenness like that UA pilot that got caught in France ready to fly drunk several times over the legal limit, or something actually caught on video that would publicly and virally make UA look bad.
jchiguy1 and flying_geek like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.