Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

1K Threatened with Ban for Accepting First Class Meal In Coach

1K Threatened with Ban for Accepting First Class Meal In Coach

Old Aug 9, 2023, 12:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
As others have predicted, OP of the Reddit post had enough: 2nd post and user now gone:

"Posted by u/[deleted] 2 days ago"
and
"Sorry, this post was deleted by the person who originally posted it."
Old Aug 9, 2023, 1:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by narvik
As others have predicted, OP of the Reddit post had enough: 2nd post and user now gone:

and
Oddly, they haven't deleted any of the response posts yet which have the name of the FA in them. FWIW, a last name isn't necessary to find this FA, and I never saw one listed, having been reading the reddit since the first day. There are still plenty of posts from OP in his first reddit, just as responses. Some of them are quite detailed.
SPN Lifer, narvik, chavala and 1 others like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Aug 9, 2023 at 1:41 am
Old Aug 9, 2023, 4:01 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by djmp
Not a lawyer, but if the passenger was truthful in their statements about the purser then then suit would not succeed. Doesn't seem like the facts are much in question here.
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
We dont even know if its even a true story let alone if its factual - we have no other eyewitness accounts
First, the pax opens themselves to liability by disclosing private sourced information . Second, the pax has to prove their story with evidence and show harm/damages. Third if the fa can show defamation and or harassment then the burden shifts to the pax. Unless there are witnesses to the event the pax will have a difficult time with their timeline/version of events. The other side of divulging names has been established. Either way not sure there is much of a legal angle here as the damages are not obvious to any party.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Why does feel like a Seinfeld episode? It’s an event about nothing.
Mama and m.y like this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by elmira56925
Why does feel like a Seinfeld episode? Its an event about nothing.
It's an event about manicotti, or manigott, as they said in the Sopranos.
zombietooth likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Just to add my 2 cents to the mix…
As a 1k who is often (like many of us) left stranded as #1 on the UG list, if I saw my seatmate feasting on a hot plated meal while I was struggling to open my free snackbox full of junk food, I’d be pretty annoyed.
For SURE I would write in and complain.
Both FAs should be seriously reprimanded for this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

and
It would not shock me if UA legal reached out again to that poster and told him to delete the post - or else........

Since he doubled down on his initial post - something prompted him to delete it. I don't believe it happened out of doing the right thing.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Since he doubled down on his initial post - something prompted him to delete it. I don't believe it happened out of doing the right thing.
I think it was simply a progression of the 'story' that became too much to handle.
I.e. initially he posted what he thought was a cute travel story about how he got 'mistreated' on a United flight.
Then that story became very popular and got the attention of the media. Bolstered by all that he doubled down, likely 'smitten' by the attention it was getting.
But as it progressed, there was a shift away from being in support of his side, to accusations directed toward him, and a general dislike of the whole fiasco.
Pretty sure he just ended up having enough of it all.

From what I can tell, United never really got that involved in this, did they? Doesn't seem to be any real backlash against UA here, or did I miss something?
Old Aug 9, 2023, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

From what I can tell, United never really got that involved in this, did they?
If you take the second Reddit post at face value and if accurate - the poster claimed an Executive from Customer Care reached out to him. He named her first name. He was not satisfied what she told him (no compensation, it is an internal matter, no he won't get results of any investigation, and as far as UA was concerned, the case is closed except for internal investigation, etc). Seemingly miffed by that - he stated he had other sources to get info, knew other UA personnel he'd be talking to - and then claimed he knew the pilot of the plane he was on and would be reaching to him also.
SPN Lifer, narvik and DiamondMile like this.

Last edited by HNLbasedFlyer; Aug 9, 2023 at 3:55 pm
Old Aug 9, 2023, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by sannmann
It's an event about manicotti, or manigott, as they said in the Sopranos.
The Manicotti is the MacGuffin. The important issue here is an FA threatening a passenger with a lifetime ban for a passive behavior, i.e. accepting a meal. I've met FAs that were this capricious and vindictive and am sympathetic to the OP. I've seen multiple FAs become almost insane with rage over improper mask wearing back during the COVID restrictions, when I was flying every week, and who threatened pax with ejection or lifetime bans. My wife got extremely upset once when the purser kept announcing, "you must replace your mask between bites and sips", and that, if you didn't, you would be physically removed from the plane. Remembering what happened to Dr. Dao, my wife got so incensed with the purser that I had to restrain her from saying something because I know that an FA has the power to ruin your day, or worse, with no recourse. I am also realistic enough to realize that complaining about a union-protected FA will get you nowhere. OP should've made his post and then moved on.
SPN Lifer, DJ_Iceman, Mama and 5 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.