Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

1K Threatened with Ban for Accepting First Class Meal In Coach

1K Threatened with Ban for Accepting First Class Meal In Coach

Old Aug 5, 2023, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
It's a first hand account from the passenger on Reddit
That actually makes me believe it even less. I'd much rather hear it from an unbiased source.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Only some rules apply?
There are rules about bringing back leftovers from first? Even if there are its not something customers are privy to. And there certainly isnt a list of which customers are entitled to the leftover meals. Although maybe thats a good idea. Would be nice to know that if you end up at #1 on the upgrade list you would be eligible for a leftover first class meal.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 4:43 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That actually makes me believe it even less. I'd much rather hear it from an unbiased source.
That the reddit thread actually names the people makes me believe the story even more. The comments have a few anecdotes of incidents with the purser (who had a unique name that someone commented on reddit was easy to Google).

I actually think she is going to get a strong verbal reprimand since this is getting spread on the Internet but I still think there's no way she gets fired.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That is your choice but I believe an unwarranted concern. Never been mentioned by a poster for writing UA. At some point , perhaps complaints might be ignore.
Yes, on the plane there may have been some incidents, where the passenger (and/or FA) went too far, but most here are smart / sober enough to drop it before that stage. But writing into UA, nope.
This thread and unrelated stories in financial newsletters, etc. lead me to believe that UA is assigning desirability scores to their MP members:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...o-much-10.html

I think that it is better to assume the worst and be very cautious in one's interactions with UA personnel or CS. Many customers have recently been fired by UA, and OP's story is that he was threatened with such an action. I've read his entire reddit, and I think there is entirely too much confidence by many posters and the OP that he won't suffer any consequences for this incident. I'm not so sure.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 5:21 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
the FA crossed several lines in giving a F meal to someone in Coach.
Seriously?

I'm a DL Diamond over here in UA territory, but I've seen DL FAs distribute extra F meals in coach dozens of times at least.

It's not a big deal. I've sat in on DL FA training at least half a dozen times, it is an issue that is covered, not only is it not a big deal, it is what the FA should do in a variety of circumstances.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 5:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zombietooth
This thread and unrelated stories in financial newsletters, etc. lead me to believe that UA is assigning desirability scores to their MP members:
Sure lots of companies do this and given the number of FTer that regularly report complaining and submitting DOT reports, it does not seem the consequences that are worth worrying about,

Again your choice.
I think that it is better to assume the worst and be very cautious in one's interactions with UA personnel or CS. Many customers have recently been fired by UA, and OP's story is that he was threatened with such an action. I've read his entire reddit, and I think there is entirely too much confidence by many posters and the OP that he won't suffer any consequences for this incident. I'm not so sure.
I think we all realize the FA's threat was meaningless (as long as your do not get into a physical conformation).. The lack of such extreme consequences on any FTer (other than those that have sold their privileges) causes me to have little concern.
SPN Lifer, kthomas and JimInOhio like this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 5:31 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM

Oh c'mon. This customer can afford legal representation. It would be simply ludicrous of UA to attempt to ban any customer over such an incident, and they would deserve the litigation that would naturally follow.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
I'm surprised that Reddit has left the real names in the post because at least one of the FAs named in the post has a very unique, easily Googleable name, and could reasonably be identified.

Another reason to avoid using sites liked Linkedin.
northinsouth likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think we all realize the FA's threat was meaningless (as long as your do not get into a physical conformation).. The lack of such extreme consequences on any FTer (other than those that have sold their privileges) causes me to have little concern.
Matthew was kicked off a flight based on a UA FA's invented claims that he was taking pictures of FAs.

I think most of us who have been flying UA for a long time have had our share of run-ins with power tripping UA FAs who were completely in the wrong. (I'll add that some of my worst UA experiences involved legacy UA FAs, likely bitter over termination of the pension plan in BK.) The only other airline I've ever had a similar type issue on is AC. The airline's culture definitely has an impact, and UA's has been poison for a very a long time.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 6:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Matthew was kicked off a flight based on a UA FA's invented claims that he was taking pictures of FAs. ...
But he was banned or fired as a customer? (and that was some number of years 8-10? -- how many trips have FTers taken on UA in the meantime.

I am not justifying or denying a few power tripping FAs but FTers being banned or having your status removed, that I am not aware of (except for the selling or abusing elite privileges). I do not travel in fear of such outcomes.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 6:24 pm

I have no problem with FA 1 and her efforts to go the extra mile for a passenger. Its called Employee Empowerment. You want your line staff to be creative, provide excellent service and take those extra steps to make your customers feel special. Does it break the rules, I dont know nor do I care. I cant count the number of times that an FA took a drink, part of a meal, or a dessert to a family member or friend in Y or to me who was in Y when my wife was in front.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 7:00 pm

Programs: MP Silver
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Here is the issue though - while you might not care if someone gets a F meal in Coach - certainly others will.

That is why you need guidelines. Sure some guidelines can be discretionary but giving a Coach passenger an F meal seems to cross the line - at least to me.

I've had FA's go above and beyond for me in Coach (usually extra drinks - and I assume they are doing the same for others) - but they are discreet in what they do. Plopping down a F meal isn't exactly discreet.

who cares dude, if it doesn't apply let it fly
Noanker1, DELee and TPACjv like this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 7:20 pm

I viewed the meal as making up for the mis-cater on flight #1, as if the passenger was getting a deserved meal a flight too late. I wonder if the situation would have occurred had UA247 been appropriately catered.
jordyn, HNL1K, Noanker1 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by mahzor
the purser who wrote up the first FA is a legacy holdover from continental with a gigantic amount of seniority, she won't be fired.
To bad!
Old Aug 5, 2023, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA MM
But he was banned or fired as a customer? (and that was some number of years 8-10? -- how many trips have FTers taken on UA in the meantime.

I am not justifying or denying a few power tripping FAs but FTers being banned or having your status removed, that I am not aware of (except for the selling or abusing elite privileges). I do not travel in fear of such outcomes.
It could have been worse. The purser could have forced the passenger to have a second serving of manicotti.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.