Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Tipping at United Clubs

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2023, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA: 1K. Hilton: Diamond. Marriot: Gold. AA: Gold
Tipping at United Clubs

I was flying this past weekend and decided to use the shower at the new EWR club. (As a side note, very much appreciate that there is a United (non-polaris) club that has showers). I was surprised that there was a tipping jar and that the attendant openly solicited for a tip when signing in to use the shower. It is rare to see this behavior (solicitation for a tip to shower) based off my experience at both Polaris lounges and international lounges. In general, our tipping culture here in America is out of control...tip for takeout food is the one that really gets me

I have a my lifelong habit of tipping a $1-2 per drink ordered (depending on the complexity/price of the beverage) and I have applied this to United Clubs as well. I am reevaluating though. My understanding is that United Club bartenders/servers are not paid like those in restaurants since their employment is at the airport. To remind everyone for those who question tipping waiters in normal setting restaurants and this is quoted from the department of labor:
"A tipped employee engages in an occupation in which he or she customarily and regularly receives more than $30 per month in tips. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 per hour in direct wages if that amount combined with the tips received at least equals the federal minimum wage. If the employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 per hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. Many states, however, require higher direct wage amounts for tipped employees."

I am just so fed up with the tipping culture and OUR perpetuation of it (realize this is a very AMERICAN thing) that maybe I'll stop tipping at United Club bars...curious to hear thoughts and what people's habits are? And do people actually tip shower attendants?? I saw some money in the jar..

Last edited by stayinalive; May 31, 2023 at 11:11 am
Old May 31, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
This thread comes up every month or so; don't know if it will get merged in somewhere.

To keep it short, I find tipping extremely distasteful and avoid it wherever possible, including in United lounges.
curt, Spiff, mlbcard and 12 others like this.
Old May 31, 2023, 11:26 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Agreed, this will probably get merged. But I do tip the bartenders in the UC. As a nearly lifelong hospitality employee, it's in my bones to do so. That said, you are correct that they don't get paid the same way as a restaurant bartender would, but you also don't get the bartending skills that you would get in a restaurant when you're in the lounge. My last moonlighting bartending gig I had, I averaged probably $55/hr. I'm sure the bartenders at the UCs are making $20 at most. Anything outside of a vodka tonic is often too complicated for the lounge bartenders, so when I actually find one that knows how to bartend, I'm inclined to tip more than a simple $1/$2 per drink.

I wouldn't tip someone that merely points the way to the shower, however.
ContinentalFan and doug091363 like this.
Old May 31, 2023, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by stayinalive
I was flying this past weekend and decided to use the shower at the new EWR club. (As a side note, very much appreciate that there is a United (non-polaris) club that has showers). I was surprised that there was a tipping jar and that the attendant openly solicited for a tip when signing in to use the shower. It is rare to see this behavior (solicitation for a tip to shower) based off my experience at both Polaris lounges and international lounges. In general, our tipping culture here in America is out of control...tip for takeout food is the one that really gets me
I can't speak for the new generation of showers, but when the pmUA ORD C club opened the showers to UC members (it used to only be available for the "arrivals" program). There was an AWESOME attendant in there, usually had extra/specific toiletries.... I'd usually throw him a 5 (I threw him a 20 once, because he pressed my shirt and pants). But it was NEVER solicited.
Old May 31, 2023, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If I see a tip jar anywhere, I will refuse to tip. It's just tacky.
Old May 31, 2023, 11:51 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by stayinalive
If the employee's tips combined with the employer's direct wages of at least $2.13 per hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference.
And, in the real world, that person will be fired.
estrela likes this.

Last edited by mahasamatman; May 31, 2023 at 3:53 pm
Old May 31, 2023, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
My standard is $1 per beer/drink bartender hands me. An airport bartending job is a tough gig. It's not like you can park next to the back door of the bar and walk in to the job. It's a bit disappointing to me when I see cheapskates stiff ($0 tip) wage+tip people who are making their travel somewhat more pleasant. An airport bartender is different than an airport Starbucks employee. Starbucks employees are not depending on tips just to get to the "normal" wage. Yeah - when I see tip jars where employers are already paying $15/hr, I am a bit annoyed. There's no tip cups on UC bar counters, but that's where the tips ought to be tendered. I'll go an extra buck if bartender is genuinely friendly and displays some skill/knowledge. The LAS bartenders are usually the best I run into.

As for the showers - I don't think the attendants are on a wage/tip scheme - they're probably getting more than minimum wage and just taking advantage of the expanding tip culture. I'm not helping the expansion.
JayhawkCO and SharkyTheArchae like this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 31, 2023 at 12:27 pm
Old May 31, 2023, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Here's a thread about the subject, at least for the Polaris lounges:
Tipping in Polaris lounge

I often (but not always) tip, but it depends on the service and attitude. If I tip outside of an airport lounge, then why wouldn't I tip inside, especially when the drink or service is free to me? (I don't like the tipping culture either, but it is what it is, unfortunately.)
Old May 31, 2023, 12:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's always personal choice. But there's certainly a better case for tipping a Polaris barkeep or shower attendant than for tipping the cashier at an airport gift store or takeout location.
FLYMSY and ContinentalFan like this.
Old May 31, 2023, 1:21 pm

How do I tip the United aircraft cleaners and bag loaders? Why is United not asking for a 22% tip on checkout?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 31, 2023 at 2:08 pm Reason: stick to UA related topics, please
Old May 31, 2023, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
I was at the EWR UC last weekend. I overheard the bartenders say that they will provide poor service to any repeat customers who don’t leave a tip. I alway fell off my chair when I heard that.
Old May 31, 2023, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's always personal choice. But there's certainly a better case for tipping a Polaris barkeep or shower attendant than for tipping the cashier at an airport gift store or takeout location.
Or an OTG self-check-out machine.
FLYMSY, lincolnjkc, rch4u and 3 others like this.
Old May 31, 2023, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
I can't speak for the new generation of showers, but when the pmUA ORD C club opened the showers to UC members (it used to only be available for the "arrivals" program). There was an AWESOME attendant in there, usually had extra/specific toiletries.... I'd usually throw him a 5 (I threw him a 20 once, because he pressed my shirt and pants). But it was NEVER solicited.
Many of the old showers in UC locations offered a shirt pressing service. I've yet to find one that is still active, even in the Polaris Lounges, and would love to know if there are any!

I never considered tipping the shower attendants, though. I nominally tip the bartenders, but I have to say, I haven't seen the same face twice in years (didn't use to be that way), and the service hasn't been tip-inspiring. Pre-merger, I got to know a few of the bartenders in the PCs. But there's so much turnover now in the staff that tipping after the fact won't get you better service the next trip.
SPN Lifer and Warriorconcept like this.

Last edited by jpezaris; May 31, 2023 at 3:22 pm Reason: bring back on topic
Old May 31, 2023, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I wouldn't be inclined to tip the receptionist at the shower suites, I don't think it's crazy to tip the person cleaning the suites, just as you would tip the housekeeper at a hotel. (Assuming it's not the same person! ) So it's easiest just to leave the $ on the sink.
FLYMSY, SPN Lifer, uanj and 4 others like this.
Old May 31, 2023, 2:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As has been noted in other UA tipping threads

This thread is about what you do concerning tipping at United Clubs (which are primarily located in the USA). It is fine to say you think tipping is appropriate and it is fine to say you do not tip or feel there should be no need in a membership club. It's fine to say some international travelers will find it odd as tipping is not a common practice for much of the world. But let's not get into a discussion of if tipping should be practiced in the USA. Or wages structure issues other the UCs. Or that others should not make the choice to tip because then you feel it reflects badly on you if you don't. Those are discussions bigger than UA. For better or worse tipping practices in the USA are different than other countries (which may have mandatory service fees included or different wage structures).

Also as there are other tipping threads, let focus on just the UCs in this thread.

There is plenty to discuss, and in the UA forum, no need to wander into either of the above areas. Many come to this thread for information (the primary purpose of FT and the reason this thread was started) on the common practice at the PL, not a lecture on right or right. There are other FT forums for those debates / lectures.

If you can not say within these bounds please do not post in this thread.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Other tipping
Tipping in Polaris lounge
United's Policy on Tipping FAs?
seanp7, ARR72 and Warriorconcept like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 31, 2023 at 3:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.