Wiki Posts
Search

United's Policy on Tipping FAs?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

United's Policy on Tipping FAs?

So I've seen this attempted now a few times on international long haul with one time the FA taking the money.

Is this something new? It's kind of weird but I guess if you tip taxi drivers, hair dressers and other service style workers why not FAs?
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
"Flight attendants are there for your safety." Do people tip police and firefighters?
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by inpd
It's kind of weird but I guess if you tip taxi drivers, hair dressers and other service style workers why not FAs?
Because taxi drivers and hairdressers are customarily tipped. Flight attendants are not customarily tipped. That's all there is to it; social customs can be arbitrary.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Believe United (and other airlines) has a written policy forbidding staff from accepting tips.

Some folks provide a small token gift, candy/chocolate are probably the most common.

[Moderator hat on]
This topic has gone badly before. There are strong opinions on the act of tipping or not. A general discussion of tipping is NOT appropriate for the UA forum. The OP asked a specific question on " United's Policy on Tipping FAs? " . Speak to that or find a discussion elsewhere on FT on tipping to make non-UA related comments.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

[Moderator hat off]
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I think I recall that all three US legacies have written employee policies prohibiting categories of employees, notably cabin crew, from accepting tips.

I also recall from my parents that at the relative dawn of international commercial air travel, despite the fact that stewardesses, as they were then known, were RN's, the tradition of tipping cabin stewards & stewards on transoceanic surface voyages briefly carried over to air travel and then fell off relatively immediately.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:24 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
One has to wonder if tipping would be an incentive to bettering the customer service on any carrier? Hmmmm
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JHIN
One has to wonder if tipping would be an incentive to bettering the customer service on any carrier? Hmmmm
First off, I don't condone tipping FA's. Now that I have that out of the way, when would you tip? At the end of the flight? When you board? The people who tend to bring candy give it when they board. If tipping was done the same I could see a FA giving that person excellent service and blowing off anyone who did not tip. That is not good. I really don't feel people should be giving them gifts either as in a way it is bribing them to give them better service than the other passengers.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by JHIN
How's that working out for Applebee's or Waffle House or any other mass establishment that has tipping?

If everybody does it, then it becomes expected, good service or not.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
On some United flights it would be nice if the FAs would tip me for enduring it!

Last edited by narvik; Oct 30, 2016 at 8:57 pm
Old Oct 30, 2016, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
First off, I don't condone tipping FA's. Now that I have that out of the way, when would you tip? At the end of the flight? When you board? The people who tend to bring candy give it when they board. If tipping was done the same I could see a FA giving that person excellent service and blowing off anyone who did not tip. That is not good. I really don't feel people should be giving them gifts either as in a way it is bribing them to give them better service than the other passengers.
I agree with all of this. Would one tip the FA after getting a drink in F?

I'd compare this to restaurants that use a ticket system. You pay in advance for your ticket, and the tip is included in that ticket price. No need to even have cash or a credit card at the restaurant.

I think the gift giving would be acceptable if someone has a regular route and knows the crew members. But I'm guessing that's not very common, so I agree it's just a little awkward.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 9:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Believe United (and other airlines) has a written policy forbidding staff from accepting tips.

Some folks provide a small token gift, candy/chocolate are probably the most common.

[Moderator hat on]
This topic has gone badly before. There are strong opinions on the act of tipping or not. A general discussion of tipping is NOT appropriate for the UA forum. The OP asked a specific question on " United's Policy on Tipping FAs? " . Speak to that or find a discussion elsewhere on FT on tipping to make non-UA related comments.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

[Moderator hat off]
Airfare watchdog says 27% of people have reportedly tipped a FA (see http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/1...attendant.html)

So perhaps United *does* have a policy against it since I've probably taken 200+ flights with them and only seen it a handful of times (far less than 27%).
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
I've never tipped a FA nor seen one tipped, however, I have bought the duty free chocolate on occasion and given it to the cabin crew on long international flights. Of course one Flyertalker is pretty famous for distributing tootsie pops! :-)
Old Oct 30, 2016, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the days of cash transactions on board, I have seen passengers telling the FAs to keep the change. Now, it is a little harder to do this.

On Friday, I had a MX and this guy was tipping the GA and the GA refused saying she was just doing her job ^

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 31, 2016 at 12:40 am Reason: OT content removed
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:43 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
My problem with tipping is similar what was mentioned above: Once it becomes a normal thing, it's expected and if you don't do it, you're a cheapskate.

Keeping this UA related, when you tip a server at a restaurant, tips are the bulk of their salary. While I don't know how much a UA FA makes per year, their salary is definitely not designed with them collecting tips as a supplemental source if income. They receive a good salary and don't need tips to survive. (Please leave the argument as to whether they receive enough for what they do or not for another time).
Old Oct 31, 2016, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by inpd
Airfare watchdog says 27% of people have reportedly tipped a FA.
It's important to note that poll results are meaningless without descriptions of methodology. Unless we know what group of people were asked about tipping, it's just a random percentage without context.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.