Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Abandoned by United in SFO

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by jsloan

There are many factors that go into making that decision,. Most of them we don't have any access to -- for example, where was that plane going next? Was there any incoming weather that could have caused problems along the way? etc.

It's possible -- no, not because it was planned that way. But suppose that they had originally scheduled a crew that was going to start their duty day with that flight, but someone called in sick, or they got stranded in Tulsa the day before and weren't able to get their required rest time in, or whatever. The replacement crew might have been toward the end of their duty day. And, yes, a 15-minute mechanical at the end of the day can cause a cancellation.

UA has an entire team of people dedicated to making a highly complicated system run so smoothly that most days we forget how complex it is. Blithely calling them incompetent, when we only have access to maybe 5% of the information that they do, just seems silly.
Among the thousands of flights I've taken, I can't recall one ever being canceled due to a 15 minutes delay causeing a time-out.

Nor have I declared UA's operations team "incompetent". I certainly wouldn't call them infallible, either.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Among the thousands of flights I've taken, I can't recall one ever being canceled due to a 15 minutes delay causing a time-out.
Ok. Does that mean it doesn't happen, especially in the FAR 117 era?
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
I feel ur pain. Sad thing is I’m willing to bet that gate agent is laughing under their breath. They probably feel it’s one of the joys of their job to be non empathic in these situations. That’s my biased opinion of course.

Last edited by elmira56925; Mar 28, 2023 at 2:32 pm
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
OP also reported a long wait for a gate, and docbert then confirmed the taxi time was over 30 minutes. All information that's easily available from various public sources.
As did I, 6 hours prior to docbert. Still doesn't mean it's impossible for someone else to have only read the OP and walk away with the impression that it was only an hour delay. Again that was my impression too until I had looked up the flights.

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Given the flight in question landed at about 10:10pm and didn't block in till close to 10:35pm, there was probably a gate availability issue accommodating an extra widebody at that time. .

Originally Posted by elmira56925
I feel ur pain. Sad thing is I’m willing to bet that gate agent is laughing under their breath. They probably feel it’s one of the joys of their job to be non empathic in these situations. That’s my biased opinion of course.
You're entitled to your biased opinion, but I'll just leave this here again because in my experience a gate agent exhibiting this behavior one moment isn't someone who then takes joy in having to tell someone their flight has left. If they wanted to do that they wouldn't bother trying to find out if they can wait in the first place.

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
FWIW, the gate agent in this situation did know about the people coming from the KOA-SFO flight, and even asked if there was any ability to wait for the connecting passengers coming from [gate] F11. Of course based on the account here we would assume the gate agent was indifferent to the OP's plight.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
I have flown in and out of KOA a number of times, particularly in the past few months. My take is that 777s only started really flying in for the spring break times so a bit unusual and I would give them a break on that. As for the cleaning crew and the United folks at KOA, they work their butts off….
Yeah, I was going to comment on that also. The KOA didn’t get its normal time to clean the plane due to its very late arrival. I wrote off OP’s comment about the cleaning crew’s performance to a desire to strike out at any available target.

I also concur w/ other posters who have suggested calling UA (or now scanning the QR code provided to chat) w/ an agent rather than stand in a customer service line. That’s a lesson I learned, like, a quarter century ago. I think it was so long ago I used a pay phone to call United There’s a far better chance you would have been put on the later flight in minutes. Maybe United needs an announcement that goes off automatically in the CS area that says you'll probably get faster service calling or chatting. The QR code responders are definitely experienced IRROPs problem solvers. On the other hand, if inexperienced travelers start calling/chatting instead of lining up, the rare instances I need a problem resolved might take longer…
8MiHi likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 28, 2023 at 3:14 pm
Old Mar 28, 2023, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
This blame the victim stuff is garbage. Delays are a part of air travel, but OP has a right to be upset at how UA handled this one. Particularly since departure of the EWR flight they were not allowed to board was delayed by 15 minutes.
Exactly. There are certainly times that people come to FT with ridiculous complaints but this is not one. While UA didn't necessarily do something wrong and "followed policy" - this is a frustrating one I'd expect UA to address and make whole; which they may have already done.
wrp96 and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
This seems all on the passenger to me. Kind of irresponsible to book a tight connection at SFO and expect it to go smoothly
Old Mar 28, 2023, 4:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
...Kind of irresponsible to book a tight connection at SFO and expect it to go smoothly
I would not consider 2:04 domestic connector at SFO tight, especially later night
Old Mar 28, 2023, 4:04 pm

Reminds me of AA experience from Kona to LAX to MCO. Delayed at Kona and proactively rebooked LAX to DFW to MCO. Arrive at LAX to find original flight LAX to MCO delayed.

Learned very quickly Kona to LAX and LAX to MCO were the same plane. Somehow AA didn’t know this but was able to get back on the original flight.
DJ_Iceman and EJRofChicago like this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 4:04 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by zombietooth
We scanned our BPs only to find that they'd already given our paid F seats away...
OP should consider whether the EWR flight they missed had any standby's who got cleared and took the empty seats at the last minute. And the reason for the standby doesn't really matter (IRROPS, missing a previous connection, weather, maintenance, non-rev, etc.). If you show up late after flight closing time (that's what they call "no show") and there are others waiting to get on, standby's can get cleared so the plane doesn't go out with empty seats.

This forum is full of stories of lucky flyers who got last-minute seats or upgrades simply because someone else was a no show.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I would not consider 2:04 domestic connector at SFO tight, especially later night
Personally, I would never try to connect to the last flight of the night
Old Mar 28, 2023, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Agreed. 2 hours is a breeze at SFO. I once connected from BOS to SFO to PEK (on the same ticket) well under an hour - F to G.

OP says UA wouldn't let them on the 11pm flight. There should be another one around midnight. There are also a lot of other connecting flights.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17

OP says UA wouldn't let them on the 11pm flight. There should be another one around midnight. There are also a lot of other connecting flights.
Then they should have booked that - that’s what I would’ve done.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 5:57 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
As a former counter dragon/Gate slayer, and airline manager - anytime someone says "don't worry, you'll make your connection" on a late or delayed flight - its a lie. We want to get you on the plane so we can go home, make you someone else's problem. (Not being a b... or anything, just being honest).
Old Mar 28, 2023, 6:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17

Then they should have booked that - that’s what I would’ve done.

personally, with a 2 hour connection to the 11PM flight and a back up with a later flight, seems a very reasonable choice. Unfortunately UA was unable to get them on the later flight.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 28, 2023 at 6:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.