Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Abandoned by United in SFO

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2023, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by jsloan
Well, the alternative -- especially in Europe with its EC.261 rules -- is to pad schedules further and also to increase the minimum connection time, ensuring that everyone is inconvenienced every time, instead of some passengers being inconvenienced occasionally.
Cleaning the birds beforehand and actually boarding and departing on time isn't an option in your view?
Old May 9, 2023, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weero
Cleaning the birds beforehand and actually boarding and departing on time isn't an option in your view?
The thread was about UA holding departures to account for delayed passengers. There will always be delays, whether due to congested airspace or weather or technical issues or whatever. Saying "just be on time" is not a realistic option, no.
Old May 12, 2023, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
.. Saying "just be on time" is not a realistic option, no.
It absolutely is. No airline ever waited for my connection, they easily not wait for anyone else .
Old May 12, 2023, 6:52 am

Programs: UA MM
It absolutely is. No airline ever waited for my connection, they easily not wait for anyone else .
UA has waited for me a couple times and for others many more. I've never seen anyone onboard grumble because of it. If anything, I've seen people be appreciative because they know they might be in the reversed role next time.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 12, 2023, 9:27 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA does

In 2022, over 650,000 passenger connections were saved with ConnectionSaver, resulting in United achieving the lowest misconnect rate ever for the fourth quarter and full year (excluding 2020/2021).
United Airlines Makes Connecting the World Easier Than Ever with ConnectionSaver
jsloan, SPN Lifer, Boraxo and 1 others like this.
Old May 13, 2023, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
any chance that these flights are waiting for a GS / equivalent passenger? We all know that it can happen for the top tier elite pax. Maybe especially those who spend more within that GS category?
Old May 13, 2023, 10:39 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gaobest
any chance that these flights are waiting for a GS / equivalent passenger? We all know that it can happen for the top tier elite pax. Maybe especially those who spend more within that GS category?
See the post prior to yours for a link explaining ConnectionSaver -- it is not an explicitly elite benefit.
SPN Lifer, Boraxo and wrp96 like this.
Old May 13, 2023, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
United has definitely held SFO-HNL several times for me (and other connecting passengers). And I've been seated on planes SFO-HNL when pilot/GA/or FA announced a hold for connecting passengers. Extrapolating personal experience to be proof of worldwide airline policy is a bit of a stretch
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 13, 2023, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
United has definitely held SFO-HNL several times for me (and other connecting passengers). And I've been seated on planes SFO-HNL when pilot/GA/or FA announced a hold for connecting passengers. Extrapolating personal experience to be proof of worldwide airline policy is a bit of a stretch
Ive had flights to HNL held for me. I’m not a fan of connection saver though. I’d prefer flights leave on time. I’d be fine grabbing the next flight.
Old May 13, 2023, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Ive had flights to HNL held for me. I’m not a fan of connection saver though. I’d prefer flights leave on time. I’d be fine grabbing the next flight.
WIth the fluff UA's been adding into block times, a 15-20 minute hold generally doesn't affect arrival times too much. And several of the HNL-bound flight were the last of the day.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 13, 2023 at 1:04 pm
Old May 13, 2023, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I’ve had planes held for me before (though not sure if it is just me…), and I’ve run from late inbounds to watch the planes pull out. So it goes both ways.

Lots of factors involved - where is the plane going next and in how long, crew status (will holding cause someone to timeout), connections at destination (will holding connection let more passengers get onboard than people who it will affect at destination), flight time (if tailwinds, will holding for a few minutes even make aircraft arrive late), weather, slot use, is it holding for 1 pax, or two dozen, etc., etc. more too, I’m sure. GA isn’t even the one making the call - ops is, I’m pretty sure.

it’s never going to be perfect, obviously. UA is trying to do the best it can to help out the most pax, while also making sure it can keep operations on track as much as possible. This stuff is not completely objective all the time - sometimes helping out a few pax here might affect a couple there, or other times it might not affect anyone (which makes the decision easier).
jsloan, SPN Lifer and wrp96 like this.
Old May 19, 2023, 4:10 pm

It wasn't an extrpolation, it was a poorly worded recommendation: don't delay everyone to fix your (i.e. the airline's) screw ups.

WIth the fluff UA's been adding into block times, a 15-20 minute hold generally doesn't affect arrival times too much. And several of the HNL-bound flight were the last of the day.
Now that is an extrapolation for a world without public ground transport .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.