Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2023 Let’s Eat — United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2023 Let’s Eat — United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2023, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM, HH Diamond
UA 764 DEN-BOS
14Jan23 1815 Departure
B738 Dinner

No PDB (Caterer was late)
Chicken w/ rice (the only meal catered on this flight, same picture as the chicken rice dish posted up tread )
Side grain bowl with " the incredibly inedible bowl of awful stuff"
Square multigrain roll
Pie in the sky
Old Jan 15, 2023, 8:27 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by BlackBear05
UA 764 DEN-BOS
14Jan23 1815 Departure
B738 Dinner

No PDB (Caterer was late)
Chicken w/ rice (the only meal catered on this flight, same picture as the chicken rice dish posted up tread )
Side grain bowl with " the incredibly inedible bowl of awful stuff"
Square multigrain roll
Pie in the sky
DITTO!
UA2087
DEN-IAD Lunch

Same chicken, etc. as above, and equally unattractively plated. Tasted better than it looked. No lemons or limes catered either. Other entree option was "vegetarian plate".
(And not related to food but flew with no electricity for passengers. No entertainment, lights for reading, power for charging, or ability to recline seats in F.)
Old Jan 15, 2023, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
That's actually a different one - the green chile one I've only seen on the pre-order menu. There was one example in last year's thread, but it looked absolutely horrible.
Ah, sorry, you are right, I mixed up my frittatas. 😵 Honestly I had thought it was variation on the same dish from different catering stations, but I see they had it as different options in the pre-order. Well good luck if you do order the green one! 😬
Old Jan 15, 2023, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Good to see all the same people ive been seeing for so many years still here and happy new years to everyone!

I saw Brian Kelly's IG story that UA very upper management is apparently aware of the poor food quality and is working on a revamped menu. MatthewLAX is this valid and/or what does this look like as far as what changes we could see, if any.
Nobody knows, it could be something small like changing out the side dish or it could be bigger like an actual improvement to the food quality.

A friend of mine is a GM of an inflight kitchen and while his kitchen doesn't presently cater UA, he said he has heard from other GMs that UA is currently ordering large amounts of premade frozen meals and shipping said meals to each station to be placed on the tray and boarded on the aircraft.

The only fresh parts are the side dish which if true is pretty sad and going back to fresh prepared meals would be a big upgrade, but again nobody knows.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 3:33 pm

Programs: United Global Services
United's newish frittata would be fine if they didn't add that awful American cheese. On one trip, the dish was swimming in the murky yellow stuff and infected all the other items - I didn't eat it. Much like their previous frittatat with the tomato sauce: the fritta was fine but why smear it with that vague red sauce? I would often ask for the sauce on the side. Invariably, it came with the fritta covered in the sauce. I smiled, didn't bother eating it, and reached into my bag for the ever-present back-up supply of an apple or banana and nuts. For the remainder of the flight, I hoped that my tea would arrive searing hot (which, of couse, is never does ).

Get rid of the American cheese!!!
Old Jan 15, 2023, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by DELee
Was your pie in the sky actually chocolate chip or another flavor? David
No, it was the newer other flavor (pumpkin, I believe?). I think I actually prefer it to the chocolate one, although perhaps just for the novelty.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 15, 2023, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
1/13 SFO-EWR UA2321 11:45pm departure

The exact same menu options as the last 2 years. Even though the Thai chicken noodle dish isn't too bad but it's definitely starting to get repetitive.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Opted for that tofu bowl: no smoked, no spicyness detected. bland, flavorless overcooked veggies with a few tofu pieces over rice. I left it after a couple of bites.
Aweful!
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 11:54 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Opted for that tofu bowl: no smoked, no spicyness detected. bland, flavorless overcooked veggies with a few tofu pieces over rice. I left it after a couple of bites.
Aweful!
As mentioned above
Old Jan 16, 2023, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
ORD-SEA pre ordered the burger after generally having good luck with them in the past. The other options i could pre order were all the vegetarian options.

The taste was fine (the bbq bacon burger was better). The problem with the burgers is the bun can quickly get over cooked. I really do wish that they had a fresh salad for it, few pickles, slice of tomato, onions, and lettuce leaf. It would help tremendously. The cheese would be better if it wasn't cooked with the burger too, since it tends to melt and get very very messy.

The mini cake was served heated (and brought to me after this photo was taken.) I'm still not sure what the flavor is. It almost tasted like peanut butter, which almost seems like a dangerous choice. There's no indication that its peanut, and peanut allergies is seemingly common.

Given the state of the cauliflower bowl, I'm almost wishing the impossible meatballs would return.

Old Jan 16, 2023, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
1/14/23 EWR - SFO UA1209 6:15pm departure

Usual choices of chicken with polenta and broccolini or pasta. Asked FA to hold the entree from being heated which they graciously did. About halfway through the flight, asked them to heat it up and serve it. Seriously cannot wait for sundaes to return. Long overdue.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by VWang1111
Seriously cannot wait for sundaes to return. Long overdue.
You could just fly AA transcon. Sundaes came back a while ago.

When UA served packaged ice cream in 2021 on this route, most FAs couldn't get them right, either rock hard or melted.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Platinum, BA Gold
1/16/2023 CUN-IAH UA1058 6:30pm departure

I've always thought the catering out of Cancun was pretty bad for an outstation however because UA's hub catering is now even worse this was at least different (not that it was that good). I had the vegetarian pasta which was bland and needed more sauce but was a nice portion size. Was nice to finally have a regular salad with vinegarette for a change instead of the grain salad. Roll seemed stale and bland so didnt eat much. Wrapped brownie was moist but had a weird flavor so didnt finish it. Travel companion had the chicken with cilantro rice and said it was "ok".
​​​​​​​

Last edited by elbombo; Jan 16, 2023 at 8:54 pm
Old Jan 17, 2023, 12:49 am

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DELee
Oh, forgot to add the pre-meal drinks but no nuts (nor pretzels):

01/10 IAD-DEN: Old Fashioned (blurry but good)

01/10 DEN-LAX: Wanted a Coke to go with the burger

01/08 EWR-IAD: Old Fashioned - no meal, just drinks

David
Are they serving old fashioned on the plane now, or have I been missing out all these years??
Old Jan 17, 2023, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
Are they serving old fashioned on the plane now, or have I been missing out all these years??
At least 4 years as of now: 2018 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service

David

p.s. ETA: UA's Old Fashioned mix

Last edited by DELee; Jan 17, 2023 at 1:12 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.