Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will UA Grant 2023 Elite Status if I am XXX PQP/PQFs Short of Qualifying in 2022?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2022, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA may proactively grant exceptions
Some have speculated your past history with UA may be a factor or an unusually high PQD or some life event reason or ....
To manually request an exception,
Contact MPSC
Quote:
Hours: 7 a.m. – 12 a.m. (CT), 7 days a week
Call from the U.S. or Canada 1-800-421-4655
or
Email MileagePlus
United may also offer you a buy-up
2022 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2021)
2021 Status Buy up (Now available)
2020 UA MP elite status buy-up offers(for higher status than earned in 2019)
2019 Elite Buy-Up Offers from United (for higher status than earned in 2018)
2018 UA MP elite status buy-up offers (for higher status than earned in 2017)

Previous threads
Will UA Grant 2020 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2019?

Will UA Grant 2019 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2018?

Will UA Grant 2018 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2017?

Will UA Grant 2017 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2016?

Will UA Grant 2016 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying in 2015?

Will UA Grant Me Elite Status if I am XXX PQM/PQS/{PQD} Short of Qualifying? (2011-2014)

Related threads
[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2019 for Elite Status in 2020"

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2018 for Elite Status in 2019"

[Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs/PQSs in 2017 for Elite Status in 2018

I need XXX UA PQD's/PQMs in 2016 for Elite Status in 2017

Granted 2017 MP Elite Status even though short of PQM/PQS/PDQ [actual cases only pls]

Granted 2016 MP Elite Status even though short of PQM/PQS/PDQ [actual cases only pls]

Granted 2015 MP Elite Status even though short of PQM/PQS/PDQ [actual cases only pls]

Granted 2020 MP Elite Status even though short of PQM/PQS/PDQ [actual cases only pls]

Print Wikipost

Will UA Grant 2023 Elite Status if I am XXX PQP/PQFs Short of Qualifying in 2022?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2022, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

I think I need something like eight PQP to make Gold if I complete my travel plans for 2022.

Does United ever look at situations like this and grant the status without actually making the mileage cutoff?
Old Nov 29, 2022, 12:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vhuang
I think I need something like eight PQP to make Gold if I complete my travel plans for 2022.

Does United ever look at situations like this and grant the status without actually making the mileage cutoff?
Perhaps, it has happened in the past but not always. Why is unclear.

The other issue is does the past apply to now?
Do you want to take that chance?
Finding the cheapest possible premier accelerator offer might be the safest thing to do

older threads
Will UA Grant 2020 EliteStatus if I am XXX PQM/PQS/PQD Short of Qualifying in 2019?

Granted 2020 MP Elite Status even though short of PQM/PQS/PDQ [actual cases only pls]

Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2022]
Note prices tend to increase significantly at the end of the year

Another option is to wait and see what happens. In later February if UA has not granted status, UA probably will make a buyup offer but likely more expensive than.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

I see a December day trip to Vegas in my future

Does the $5.99 to hold an itinerary for three days count as PQP?
ContinentalFan and nexus7556 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 29, 2022 at 3:41 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 29, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K; HA Pualani Gold, SWA A-List; Aloha Silver (RIP); HH Gold
Not in my experience
Boraxo likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
If you have another trip, can you buy E+? Or can you see if a slightly higher fare is available?
Old Nov 29, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

This is the first "normal" year where all that matters is spend (with a segment adjustment) - before this was usually people who were short a few miles flown and UA would sometimes make an expensive buy up offer in January. But now all there is is spend, and you can probably rest assured it will be cheaper to "buy up" now than it will be in January when if they do it at all you may be paying a lot for $500 or $1000 blocks of PQP.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
From what I am seeing/reading, I am wondering if over $700 out of pocket to get to 1k for 2023 on my last work trip to get enough PQP of this year is even worth it. Seems with the lack of plus points success (even domestic), this may not be worth it as even upgrades out of my IAH hub won't work too well even if I just try to burn them up. A later buy up offer will certainly be more than $700 I'd expect as mentioned above.

Last year, I put in a request to get from Gold to Plat as I was about 70 PQP short and was successful. So for OP, that might work for such a low amount.
cczzll likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I hope not. Enough easily granted elite status like all those non/little-flying elites this year. Fly like those of us that cross the actual thresholds. These 100+ elite upgrade lists are a joke.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 3:25 pm
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CApreppie
I hope not. Enough easily granted elite status like all those non/little-flying elites this year. Fly like those of us that cross the actual thresholds. These 100+ elite upgrade lists are a joke.
Amen!

It’s time for United to cut the cord and trim the herd. The mileage thresholds have been low enough for those who have been flying and there is no guarantee that business travel will return to pre-pandemic levels that soon. I think many companies will keep a watchful eye on travel expenses for the next few years. The pandemic has taught us many things can get done ( not all…) without jumping in a plane for a few day meeting.

I was glad to see United (and others) significantly raise thresholds for status in 2024. You want Elite status…… Fly!

DEN

Last edited by DEN; Nov 29, 2022 at 3:31 pm
Old Nov 29, 2022, 6:41 pm

Wi-Fi costs $8 on each trip ($6 for chase card holders)!
Old Nov 29, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
I am in a similar situation, currently 1K... prior to Covid, I was GS for 2 years and 1K for 3 years. Then covid hit and I was able to make 1K with that Fly to the Finish promo. This year travel has picked up significantly in Q4 and I expect lots more in 2023. However based on 2022, I will lose my 1K status. Is there a way to request a 'challenge' extension i.e. "I'll fly 12k PQD in the first half of 2023, can I retain my status for x days while I prove that?" Or if I follow the sticky, when's the best time to ask? Now or later?
WVmike likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 6:59 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by UAFAM
but ancillary charges such as Wi-Fi won’t count toward PQD
Old Nov 29, 2022, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UAFAM
does that count toward PQP?
Old Nov 29, 2022, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Don't believe it does. In reviewing historical PQP activity, I can see my buy-ups (day of departure upgrades) listed, but not wifi purchases.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 10:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
UA is quite explicit about what generate PQPs and wifi fees are not listed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.