Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning UA MileagePlus Status in 2023 for 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2022, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
2023 Program changes communicated to MileagePlus members

As travel resumes to pre-pandemic levels, we are updating our qualification requirements to ensure that the Premier program is best situated to deliver for our most loyal customers. Our 2023 Premier program gives members even more opportunities to achieve and upgrade Premier status and is designed to provide valuable benefits for all Premier members. And remember — the MileagePlus® Premier® program, unlike some other loyalty programs, has no distance requirement to reach status. You might not know how far you’ll fly in 2023, so rest easy knowing you can qualify for Premier status with just Premier qualifying points (PQP), or a combination of Premier qualifying flights (PQF) and PQP. Also, your eligible United℠ MileagePlus credit card can help get you there.

Here are some of the key changes we’re making for 2023:
  • We’re changing our standard requirements for every Premier level back to January 2020 levels.
  • We’re automatically depositing Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on the 2023 Premier status you hold at the end of 2022, giving eligible Premiers a head start towards hitting the PQP requirement for their status level.
  • We are providing a new path to earn towards Premier status by giving qualifying credit when you use MileagePlus miles for award flights operated by United or United Express.
  • The United MileagePlus Quest and Club Infinite cards are getting anincrease to the maximum PQP that may be earned in a calendar year, and the total PQP members can earn across their cobranded cards is also increasing.
  • Premier 1K members will earn incremental PlusPoints for every 3K PQP earned beyond 18K PQP once they meet the published requirements for 1K status.
  • All redeposit fees associated with cancelling award travel have been removed.
For more information on these changes, and to learn more about our MileagePlus program, visit www.united.com/mpnews.
Originally Posted by PTahCha
The email was just dropped. Here's the summary:
  • Increased PQP qualification levels

• Jump start PQP based on status level - 500/1000/1500/2500 for Silver/Gold/Plat/1K
  • PQP for Award travel, at 1 PQP per 100 miles redeemed + PQF
  • Increased credit card PQP earning cap
  • Removal of award ticket redeposit fees
​​​​​​​
MileagePlus # XXXXX010
Updates to the 2023
MileagePlus Premier Program

For the past two years, we adjusted our MileagePlus® Premier® program requirements to reflect the frequency of travel during uncertain times. With travel now in full swing, our standard qualification requirements are returning. But we are giving you a boost and adding new qualifying activities to our 2023 MileagePlus Premier program to make achieving your status goals even easier.

Jumpstart your PQP balance: We're giving you a head start on your status goals to make retaining or upgrading status easier. In early 2023, we'll automatically deposit PQP into your MileagePlus account based on the 2023 Premier status you reached at the end of 2022. Eligible members will enjoy this head start toward status in 2024 as well.

Qualifying with award tickets: An exciting change we are making in 2023 is that when you use MileagePlus miles for award flights operated by United or United Express you will now earn Premier qualifying credits. Eligible award flights will help you achieve status with 1 PQP per 100 miles redeemed, as well as 1 PQF per United or United Express flight.

Increased credit card PQP caps: For 2023, the maximum PQP able to be earned will double for the United Quest card from 3,000 to 6,000 PQP and for the United Club Infinite card from 4,000 to 8,000 PQP. Eligible United MileagePlus Chase Cardmembers will continue to earn 500 PQP per $12,000 spent. The maximum number of PQP that can be earned on eligible card spend in a calendar year across multiple credit cards has increased from 5,000 PQP to 15,000 PQP, making it even easier to reach Premier status goals through card spend.*

Award ticket redeposit fee removal: All redeposit fees associated with canceling award travel have been removed so you have more choice and control over managing plans.

Earn more PlusPoints: United is the only U.S. global airline that allows you to earn unlimited extra upgrade points after reaching the highest published status level. Eligible members will enjoy earning incremental PlusPoints with 20 additional PlusPoints for every 3,000 PQP earned beyond 18,000 PQP (starting at 21,000 PQP) once they have met the published Premier 1K requirements in 2023.
Print Wikipost

Earning UA MileagePlus Status in 2023 for 2024

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Glad I gave up trying to make 3MM and became a free agent.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by ty97
General reaction: No real surprise in the requirements. This is what the requirements were going to be pre-pandemic (though never previously implemented due to the pandemic).

I only made 1K this year due to reduced requirements and the PQP boost. My travel patterns don't lend themselves to the higher 1K requirements, and I'm fine with that. As long as I reach at least Gold for *A benefits, I'll be okay.
I'm in the same boat. Made 1K for the first time last year, unexpectedly.

I spent approximately half of the new 1K required spend. No way I'm spending $24k, even with the bonus PQP.

In fact, before the pandemic, when they announced these requirements, I might not have spent up to Gold either, which is my target. I remember checking out AC flights, because they earned more.

In general, flying out of SFO, AC for Europe or for Asia and Oceania have some scheduling disadvantages and also you don't get to use the PL either. Some times the AC flights are priced less.

I went through an ordeal last week, making an AC award, SFO-YVR-BNE, because of severe IRROPS on the SFO-YVR flight.

So I'd probably be hesitant on relying too much on AC to earn more PQP than on other Star Alliance flights or even on United flights themselves to Europe or across the pacific.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 12:29 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Someone mentioned a Plus Points extension?
dorisrpas likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Have been 1k for >10 years now (and am MM)and have always juggled that with BA Silver. It’s unlikely I will make 1K again from next year so I will focus on BA Gold instead and simply fly UA when either it’s cheaper or there’s PZ availability. Shame as, bizarrely, I prefer UA to BA in nearly every respect.

Good timing on the announcement as I am just about to pull the trigger on my Q1 travel so I will divert it all to BA.
NYCUA2P and zombietooth like this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 12:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Noanker1
Do the PQP for presidential plus cc spend, count for 1k for 24k spend ?
If not where is this explained by United ?
On here: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...r/qualify.html

SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I'm really scratching my head at the segment to PQP ratios. A typical TCON economy RT runs anywhere from $200-500 with sufficient advance booking.

Assuming only nonstops with the worst possible fares, you're flying 27 roundtrips in economy at $13.5k in total spend. So you're still 5k short on PQP. The math gets even worse if you're just flying some regional route (e.g. DCA-EWR)

For you existing 1K flyers, are you paying through the nose for last minute fares? Are you buying up to first every flight? What gives? What am I missing?
Old Nov 8, 2022, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Polytonic
I'm really scratching my head at the segment to PQP ratios. A typical TCON economy RT runs anywhere from $200-500 with sufficient advance booking.

For you existing 1K flyers, are you paying through the nose for last minute fares? Are you buying up to first every flight? What gives? What am I missing?
Most probably aren't getting those $200-500 RT fares. CC spend bonuses also helps with some of the PQP gap, and the 2500 PQP head start.

And Tcon fares might not be the best to compare as those markets have some of the highest competition. Go look at the fares in the hundreds of markets with much smaller seat capacity, but still have people travelling to them.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifer, Hertz Prez
Oh well, it was nice to know you 1K for the last 7 or 8 years. I'll enjoy my last year in 2023 and then drop down to my LT PE...
mechteach likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

Assuming only nonstops with the worst possible fares, you're flying 27 roundtrips in economy at $13.5k in total spend. So you're still 5k short on PQP. The math gets even worse if you're just flying some regional route (e.g. DCA-EWR)

There are two ways to make 1K (in gross generlization) a few int'l biz tickets where you might need only 4-6 trips to hit $24k (or $15k this year). Or a bunch of non-hub trips involving 4+ segments with somewhat less spend to get to 18k (or add in credit cards)
ijgordon and jsloan like this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by frappant
Someone mentioned a Plus Points extension?
I think someone went to the link and saw the article below - dated 6/29/22 about extending plus points that were expiring 7/31/22 and reported that as part of this.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 1:13 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I'm buying F for every flight, all domestic at the moment, and it's still going to be a stretch. We'll see if they have to (or choose to) run any fall promos next year.

I canceled a few trips this year, or I'd have been over $15k and over 54 segments, but $18k even with the fares where they are right now would have been tough on entirely domestic travel for me. I'm looking forward to the starter PQM and a $3k+ early January trip to start the year off at least.

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by PTahCha
That doesn't answer the question. That states what the rules are for the 2022 program year, whereas this thread is about 2023. It's probably a good guess that the Presidential Plus special rule will remain in place, but we won't know for sure until we get specific confirmation from United.
chavala likes this.

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium

If you can hit the 54 segments, you only need $15.5K to make 1K after the kick start bonus.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll blow past the PQF numbers well before I'd get anywhere close to the PQP numbers. Everyone is different, though.
SPN Lifer, exerda, lsquare and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 1:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM & 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
The advantage to high-PQF fliers is honestly a bit annoying. If I'm buying domestic F and at least Premium Plus internationally, if not Polaris, and preferring to minimize connections, then realistically speaking I'll always reach the PQP threshold well before getting enough PQF to lower the PQP required. And then just to poke me in the eye a bit more, I can't get PQP from my credit card if I don't meet the PQF requirement for 1K. The program should be encouraging me to spend more, but instead what I see is I should try to be a less profitable customer and take more connections to minimize my PQP to PQF ratio. Anyway, not like this is a new thing. It just seems to bother me more now, likely because I'm buying more premium fares than in the past.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.