Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning UA MileagePlus Status in 2023 for 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2022, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
2023 Program changes communicated to MileagePlus members

As travel resumes to pre-pandemic levels, we are updating our qualification requirements to ensure that the Premier program is best situated to deliver for our most loyal customers. Our 2023 Premier program gives members even more opportunities to achieve and upgrade Premier status and is designed to provide valuable benefits for all Premier members. And remember — the MileagePlus® Premier® program, unlike some other loyalty programs, has no distance requirement to reach status. You might not know how far you’ll fly in 2023, so rest easy knowing you can qualify for Premier status with just Premier qualifying points (PQP), or a combination of Premier qualifying flights (PQF) and PQP. Also, your eligible United℠ MileagePlus credit card can help get you there.

Here are some of the key changes we’re making for 2023:
  • We’re changing our standard requirements for every Premier level back to January 2020 levels.
  • We’re automatically depositing Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on the 2023 Premier status you hold at the end of 2022, giving eligible Premiers a head start towards hitting the PQP requirement for their status level.
  • We are providing a new path to earn towards Premier status by giving qualifying credit when you use MileagePlus miles for award flights operated by United or United Express.
  • The United MileagePlus Quest and Club Infinite cards are getting anincrease to the maximum PQP that may be earned in a calendar year, and the total PQP members can earn across their cobranded cards is also increasing.
  • Premier 1K members will earn incremental PlusPoints for every 3K PQP earned beyond 18K PQP once they meet the published requirements for 1K status.
  • All redeposit fees associated with cancelling award travel have been removed.
For more information on these changes, and to learn more about our MileagePlus program, visit www.united.com/mpnews.
Originally Posted by PTahCha
The email was just dropped. Here's the summary:
  • Increased PQP qualification levels

• Jump start PQP based on status level - 500/1000/1500/2500 for Silver/Gold/Plat/1K
  • PQP for Award travel, at 1 PQP per 100 miles redeemed + PQF
  • Increased credit card PQP earning cap
  • Removal of award ticket redeposit fees
​​​​​​​
MileagePlus # XXXXX010
Updates to the 2023
MileagePlus Premier Program

For the past two years, we adjusted our MileagePlus® Premier® program requirements to reflect the frequency of travel during uncertain times. With travel now in full swing, our standard qualification requirements are returning. But we are giving you a boost and adding new qualifying activities to our 2023 MileagePlus Premier program to make achieving your status goals even easier.

Jumpstart your PQP balance: We're giving you a head start on your status goals to make retaining or upgrading status easier. In early 2023, we'll automatically deposit PQP into your MileagePlus account based on the 2023 Premier status you reached at the end of 2022. Eligible members will enjoy this head start toward status in 2024 as well.

Qualifying with award tickets: An exciting change we are making in 2023 is that when you use MileagePlus miles for award flights operated by United or United Express you will now earn Premier qualifying credits. Eligible award flights will help you achieve status with 1 PQP per 100 miles redeemed, as well as 1 PQF per United or United Express flight.

Increased credit card PQP caps: For 2023, the maximum PQP able to be earned will double for the United Quest card from 3,000 to 6,000 PQP and for the United Club Infinite card from 4,000 to 8,000 PQP. Eligible United MileagePlus Chase Cardmembers will continue to earn 500 PQP per $12,000 spent. The maximum number of PQP that can be earned on eligible card spend in a calendar year across multiple credit cards has increased from 5,000 PQP to 15,000 PQP, making it even easier to reach Premier status goals through card spend.*

Award ticket redeposit fee removal: All redeposit fees associated with canceling award travel have been removed so you have more choice and control over managing plans.

Earn more PlusPoints: United is the only U.S. global airline that allows you to earn unlimited extra upgrade points after reaching the highest published status level. Eligible members will enjoy earning incremental PlusPoints with 20 additional PlusPoints for every 3,000 PQP earned beyond 18,000 PQP (starting at 21,000 PQP) once they have met the published Premier 1K requirements in 2023.
Print Wikipost

Earning UA MileagePlus Status in 2023 for 2024

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2022, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Polytonic
I'm really scratching my head at the segment to PQP ratios. A typical TCON economy RT runs anywhere from $200-500 with sufficient advance booking.

Assuming only nonstops with the worst possible fares, you're flying 27 roundtrips in economy at $13.5k in total spend. So you're still 5k short on PQP. The math gets even worse if you're just flying some regional route (e.g. DCA-EWR)

For you existing 1K flyers, are you paying through the nose for last minute fares? Are you buying up to first every flight? What gives? What am I missing?
I am a typical transcon pax - e.g. EWR to SFO.

I am currently north of 60 PQF at an average PQP of $200 per. Of course, if I consolidate all of my flying to UA, I would probably achieve 1K. All in, I am over 120 flights for the year.
​year.
​​​​​​Me personally, I don't give a rats behind about status. No one in my close circle knows I have status because I don't talk about it, ever.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy
Awards tickets counting is pretty exciting news. That would make a big difference in my PQP.
I assume PQP for award flights credit to the passenger, not the person whose account redeemed the ticket using miles. Confirmed?
Old Nov 8, 2022, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
At some point, there will suddenly be alot less PP in the system if PP ever expire and earning rate goes down (2K to 3K per 20PP).

I don't understand the logic of awarding PQP for award miles. It's great for us, how does it help UA? Don't they "lose" money when we use our miles (instead of waiting for them to devalue more)
Old Nov 8, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by thesun
The advantage to high-PQF fliers is honestly a bit annoying. If I'm buying domestic F and at least Premium Plus internationally, if not Polaris, and preferring to minimize connections, then realistically speaking I'll always reach the PQP threshold well before getting enough PQF to lower the PQP required. And then just to poke me in the eye a bit more, I can't get PQP from my credit card if I don't meet the PQF requirement for 1K. The program should be encouraging me to spend more, but instead what I see is I should try to be a less profitable customer and take more connections to minimize my PQP to PQF ratio. Anyway, not like this is a new thing. It just seems to bother me more now, likely because I'm buying more premium fares than in the past.
Time is money, and I always buy the cheapest F ticket with the minimum total transit time, which is often on AA or DL. Segment runs are not worth your time or your money. As a 22+ year 1K, my UG rate has never been lower. Don't fall for the hype that, with fewer 1Ks, there will be more PZ space made available. It won't happen. UA's algorithms are much better at figuring out how to get pax to buy up and will only improve in the future. The one thing that I am sure of is that UA will extract more cash from its 1K and GS flyers in the future and will dish out fewer UGs.

Think about the ridiculous hypocrisy of UA here. They continually tout their ESG goals, and reducing the carbon footprint of air travel, while simultaneously incentivizing their 1K flyers into adding segments to their itineraries for no other purpose than to achieve status.

Last edited by zombietooth; Nov 8, 2022 at 2:00 pm
Old Nov 8, 2022, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by eng3
At some point, there will suddenly be alot less PP in the system if PP ever expire and earning rate goes down (2K to 3K per 20PP).

I don't understand the logic of awarding PQP for award miles. It's great for us, how does it help UA? Don't they "lose" money when we use our miles (instead of waiting for them to devalue more)
Miles are currency at this point, and UA needs to make them have some value to elites, who are the primary ones earning them. Yeah, I can burn them on non-status relatives and upgrades but at this point I almost don't care about RDMs. Now I do.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Would be interesting to try to quantify how many members here will bail on trying to maintain 1K status or any status with UK as a result of these changes.

Some people won't bother with 1K but would they still fly United enough to get a lower status?

Some people say they are going to be free agents, doesn't mean they won't fly United given the route and fare?

Others may say "bye, more for me" and decide to target 1K again? Haven't seen too many express this POV.

Maybe a poll here would be instructive.
Kmxu likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Most probably aren't getting those $200-500 RT fares. CC spend bonuses also helps with some of the PQP gap, and the 2500 PQP head start.

And Tcon fares might not be the best to compare as those markets have some of the highest competition. Go look at the fares in the hundreds of markets with much smaller seat capacity, but still have people travelling to them.
Isn't that the whole point of a mileage program? Incentivize me to spend money on United on a highly contested route rather than go with Delta or Alaska?

I'm getting even *cheaper* fares via corporate/discount rates, and even then I'm considering booking away from United. For my two top routes, SEA-EWR or SEA-IAD are pricing out to around $186 or so on corp rate for the month of January. So this just further hurts any domestic OPM flyer on negotiated corp rates if anything. The math gets even worse for shorter segments. $200 RT SEA-SFO? Flying 27 roundtrips gets you all of 5500 PQP at best (or let's assume you pay close in pricing at $500 RT, so 11k PQP) and I can't imagine anyone deciding to tack on segments for something as short as SEA-SFO.

Originally Posted by jsloan
I'll blow past the PQF numbers well before I'd get anywhere close to the PQP numbers. Everyone is different, though.
This is the crux of the problem as I see it. A high segment flyer is unlikely to come anywhere close to meeting the PQP figures based on how cheap economy is (even taking into account inflation).

A high spend flyer is not going to come anywhere near the segment requirement, and if they're prepared to drop another $6k to overcome the higher PQP hurdle, chances are they can afford to go free agent and status is ultimately meaningless.

Who is United trying to target? I'm guessing the occasional law/finance exec whose company pays for F and they fly in Y on personal dime?
kb1992 and higher_flyer like this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 2:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Steve M
That doesn't answer the question. That states what the rules are for the 2022 program year, whereas this thread is about 2023. It's probably a good guess that the Presidential Plus special rule will remain in place, but we won't know for sure until we get specific confirmation from United.
UA has not announced any changes to the Chase PQP rules either other than the increase in earning ability, so why assume it's going away? (shrug)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by drewguy
Miles are currency at this point, and UA needs to make them have some value to elites, who are the primary ones earning them. Yeah, I can burn them on non-status relatives and upgrades but at this point I almost don't care about RDMs. Now I do.
They're hoping to incentivize elites with huge balances to burn their miles on expensive awards, not at the bargain levels. They will be cleaning-up if they can pull this off; selling miles to the CC companies for a penny and redeeming them at a quarter cent is a fine business model.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by frappant
Would be interesting to try to quantify how many members here will bail on trying to maintain 1K status or any status with UK as a result of these changes.

Some people won't bother with 1K but would they still fly United enough to get a lower status?

Some people say they are going to be free agents, doesn't mean they won't fly United given the route and fare?

Others may say "bye, more for me" and decide to target 1K again? Haven't seen too many express this POV.

Maybe a poll here would be instructive.
At a minimum, I'll be a UA Silver since I intend to requalify for Marriott Titanium status.
SPN Lifer, cfischer and Polytonic like this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
I'll blow past the PQF numbers well before I'd get anywhere close to the PQP numbers. Everyone is different, though.
I'll blow past $24k PQP before I make 20 PQF ... I usually don't hit anywhere near 54 ...

I am at 35k PQP and 29 PQF as it stands this year ...
United747 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
I'll blow past $24k PQP before I make 20 PQF ... I usually don't hit anywhere near 54 ...

I am at 35k PQP and 29 PQF as it stands this year ...
Exactly. You and I are at entirely different ends of the spectrum. No one program is going to satisfy everyone.
SPN Lifer, st3, United747 and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by cfischer
Yeah for people who pay for their own tickets, instead of company-funded travel, it may be possible to spend $18k but what are people going to do, book international business class tickets with 2 or more connections each way?

Even then they can't make it, they'd have to book a whole lot of domestic flights.

Are a lot of people racking up a lot of segments on their own personal/leisure flights? Are milage runs still a thing?
Old Nov 8, 2022, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
There is no way 1K is worth USD 24000, especially personal spend,

Time to wrap up MM next year and move on.

hmm looknay this from bay area corp sending people to asia in polaris. it is just 4x round-trips from SFO to TPE.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I assume PQP for award flights credit to the passenger, not the person whose account redeemed the ticket using miles. Confirmed?
anything else would be a HUGE surprise to be honest. I already have 240k miles UA flights booked for 2023 (4 IN/JN round trips) ... that's an extra 2400 PQP for each of us. No difference on my end, but it will help Mrs. cfischer reach a higher status

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.