Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning UA MileagePlus Status in 2023 for 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2022, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
2023 Program changes communicated to MileagePlus members

As travel resumes to pre-pandemic levels, we are updating our qualification requirements to ensure that the Premier program is best situated to deliver for our most loyal customers. Our 2023 Premier program gives members even more opportunities to achieve and upgrade Premier status and is designed to provide valuable benefits for all Premier members. And remember — the MileagePlus® Premier® program, unlike some other loyalty programs, has no distance requirement to reach status. You might not know how far you’ll fly in 2023, so rest easy knowing you can qualify for Premier status with just Premier qualifying points (PQP), or a combination of Premier qualifying flights (PQF) and PQP. Also, your eligible United℠ MileagePlus credit card can help get you there.

Here are some of the key changes we’re making for 2023:
  • We’re changing our standard requirements for every Premier level back to January 2020 levels.
  • We’re automatically depositing Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on the 2023 Premier status you hold at the end of 2022, giving eligible Premiers a head start towards hitting the PQP requirement for their status level.
  • We are providing a new path to earn towards Premier status by giving qualifying credit when you use MileagePlus miles for award flights operated by United or United Express.
  • The United MileagePlus Quest and Club Infinite cards are getting anincrease to the maximum PQP that may be earned in a calendar year, and the total PQP members can earn across their cobranded cards is also increasing.
  • Premier 1K members will earn incremental PlusPoints for every 3K PQP earned beyond 18K PQP once they meet the published requirements for 1K status.
  • All redeposit fees associated with cancelling award travel have been removed.
For more information on these changes, and to learn more about our MileagePlus program, visit www.united.com/mpnews.
Originally Posted by PTahCha
The email was just dropped. Here's the summary:
  • Increased PQP qualification levels

• Jump start PQP based on status level - 500/1000/1500/2500 for Silver/Gold/Plat/1K
  • PQP for Award travel, at 1 PQP per 100 miles redeemed + PQF
  • Increased credit card PQP earning cap
  • Removal of award ticket redeposit fees
​​​​​​​
MileagePlus # XXXXX010
Updates to the 2023
MileagePlus Premier Program

For the past two years, we adjusted our MileagePlus® Premier® program requirements to reflect the frequency of travel during uncertain times. With travel now in full swing, our standard qualification requirements are returning. But we are giving you a boost and adding new qualifying activities to our 2023 MileagePlus Premier program to make achieving your status goals even easier.

Jumpstart your PQP balance: We're giving you a head start on your status goals to make retaining or upgrading status easier. In early 2023, we'll automatically deposit PQP into your MileagePlus account based on the 2023 Premier status you reached at the end of 2022. Eligible members will enjoy this head start toward status in 2024 as well.

Qualifying with award tickets: An exciting change we are making in 2023 is that when you use MileagePlus miles for award flights operated by United or United Express you will now earn Premier qualifying credits. Eligible award flights will help you achieve status with 1 PQP per 100 miles redeemed, as well as 1 PQF per United or United Express flight.

Increased credit card PQP caps: For 2023, the maximum PQP able to be earned will double for the United Quest card from 3,000 to 6,000 PQP and for the United Club Infinite card from 4,000 to 8,000 PQP. Eligible United MileagePlus Chase Cardmembers will continue to earn 500 PQP per $12,000 spent. The maximum number of PQP that can be earned on eligible card spend in a calendar year across multiple credit cards has increased from 5,000 PQP to 15,000 PQP, making it even easier to reach Premier status goals through card spend.*

Award ticket redeposit fee removal: All redeposit fees associated with canceling award travel have been removed so you have more choice and control over managing plans.

Earn more PlusPoints: United is the only U.S. global airline that allows you to earn unlimited extra upgrade points after reaching the highest published status level. Eligible members will enjoy earning incremental PlusPoints with 20 additional PlusPoints for every 3,000 PQP earned beyond 18,000 PQP (starting at 21,000 PQP) once they have met the published Premier 1K requirements in 2023.
Print Wikipost

Earning UA MileagePlus Status in 2023 for 2024

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2022, 11:15 am

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mvogel
As a 1K I use my miles to get tickets for my kids and pay for my own flights and upgrades. I think it’s unfortunate that the PQP and Miles will go to my kids and not the account that earned the miles. Another ding on the 1K.
funny. I had the opposite reaction thinking: maybe my kids will earn status now!
how many award miles would be required for Silver?
Old Nov 8, 2022, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by FTLexMUC
funny. I had the opposite reaction thinking: maybe my kids will earn status now!
400k plus 12 segments (likely 4 paid segments) or 500k (plus 4 segments, likely paid)
SPN Lifer and Say Vandelay like this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Lurker
I am a 1K who will not requalify in 2023 on miles flown in 2022. (in fact, if dependent on miles flow in 2022 I would be Gold). However I am a 2 (almost 3) million miler and so will retain Platinum status.
Will my PQP starter gift next year be based on the number of miles I have flown in 2022 or on the status I will earn through MM status?

Thanks

Lurker
The higher of the MM status and the 2022 earned status.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Originally Posted by FTLexMUC
Yup.. My son and wife will do well out of this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Lurker
Will my PQP starter gift next year be based on the number of miles I have flown in 2022 or on the status I will earn through MM status?
Except for people in middle of a status match challenge, it will be based on whatever status is held at the end of the current membership year, regardless of how it is earned.

Edit to clarify since current membership year is ambiguous depending how you classify end, current vs previous year and the difference between qualifying year and the length membership lasts for.. It's whatever your status is on Feb 1st that will determine what gets deposited..

Last edited by Lux Flyer; Nov 8, 2022 at 11:28 am
Old Nov 8, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
Hey minor question: Do the reward redemption PQP count towards the PQP only 1K route?
Old Nov 8, 2022, 11:20 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
After the last few weeks of travel I welcome this change. Premier levels are off the charts. As a 1K, albeit on a rather cheap fare, I'm consistently #10 on lists of 60+. If this helps thin the numbers, especially at 1K then I'm game. I kinda like the idea you learn PQP for redeeming miles because it incentivizes folks to utilize their miles.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
Hey minor question: Do the reward redemption PQP count towards the PQP only 1K route?
Yes, the only PQPs with restrictions are the ones earned via spend incentives on *most* Chase cobranded cards
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I wonder if there is an opportunity to “buy” 1K cheaper through buying a large amount of miles at a discount during promotional offers then redeeming those miles for expensive award seats.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mh3265a
After the last few weeks of travel I welcome this change. Premier levels are off the charts. As a 1K, albeit on a rather cheap fare, I'm consistently #10 on lists of 60+. If this helps thin the numbers, especially at 1K then I'm game. I kinda like the idea you learn PQP for redeeming miles because it incentivizes folks to utilize their miles.
Why? Because it'll make you feel better to be #5 on a list of 50?

United is selling the F seats. They're not going to other upgraders. If you are consistently #1 on the list, then you might have something to gain. If you're consistently #10… UA doesn't fly big enough F cabins to help you.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I wonder if there is an opportunity to “buy” 1K cheaper through buying a large amount of miles at a discount during promotional offers then redeeming those miles for expensive award seats.
Would need to be a pretty aggressive promotion at less than $10/1000 miles, to get the 2.4m miles required for less than $24k.

For reference points: they allow transfer of miles for $15/1000 miles, and the current "sale" (100% bonus of purchases 40k miles+; so effectively 50% off) gives me at best an offer of $18.81 per 1k miles (~$3300 for 175k miles)
SPN Lifer, lsquare and Adelphos like this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bocastephen
With 100% bonus on mile purchase, you can buy 175,000 miles at a cost of $3,392.19, or 1.88 cents per mile. At this rate a 100k miles award ticket cost $1,880 and you will earn $1000 PQP.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 11:47 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
I stopped spending on the Explorer after $24k earlier this year and am trying to hit 30k on my AA MileUp. I can't spend the excess miles on award tickets because I need to reach PQP/PQF by buying and flying tickets. Now UA solves both problems "for" me.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Presidential Plus

Do the PQP for presidential plus cc spend, count for 1k for 24k spend ?
If not where is this explained by United ?
Old Nov 8, 2022, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Would need to be a pretty aggressive promotion at less than $10/1000 miles, to get the 2.4m miles required for less than $24k.

For reference points: they allow transfer of miles for $15/1000 miles, and the current "sale" (100% bonus of purchases 40k miles+; so effectively 50% off) gives me at best an offer of $18.81 per 1k miles (~$3300 for 175k miles)
I think I'm just giving up - I'm not buying $340,000 worth of gift cards to waste half the year liquidating them into money orders to keep status, or even half that if I decide to fly 12,000 PQP and buy the rest.

In the end, 1K upgrade rates will still leave me in the back anyway, so when I distill the difference in actual experience for me between Lifetime 1MM Gold and 1K, especially with no more award ticket fees, I am basically losing:

1. snack boxes in coach when not upgraded - at least until Kirby takes that away
2. boarding before Group 1
3. 1K phone line and customer service desk

In the end, I can just call my UA Executive Desk for agencies to get priority handling to fix my IRROP issues, so that loss is a wash, and the 1K customer service desk has not really delivered a great track record of service recovery given the posts here about them, so other than bragging rights, I'm honestly scratching my head about what tangible benefit 1K is really delivering for me - or frankly for anyone else in similar circumstances.
Boraxo and lsquare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.