Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Earning UA MileagePlus Status in 2023 for 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2022, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
2023 Program changes communicated to MileagePlus members

As travel resumes to pre-pandemic levels, we are updating our qualification requirements to ensure that the Premier program is best situated to deliver for our most loyal customers. Our 2023 Premier program gives members even more opportunities to achieve and upgrade Premier status and is designed to provide valuable benefits for all Premier members. And remember — the MileagePlus® Premier® program, unlike some other loyalty programs, has no distance requirement to reach status. You might not know how far you’ll fly in 2023, so rest easy knowing you can qualify for Premier status with just Premier qualifying points (PQP), or a combination of Premier qualifying flights (PQF) and PQP. Also, your eligible United℠ MileagePlus credit card can help get you there.

Here are some of the key changes we’re making for 2023:
  • We’re changing our standard requirements for every Premier level back to January 2020 levels.
  • We’re automatically depositing Premier qualifying points (PQP) based on the 2023 Premier status you hold at the end of 2022, giving eligible Premiers a head start towards hitting the PQP requirement for their status level.
  • We are providing a new path to earn towards Premier status by giving qualifying credit when you use MileagePlus miles for award flights operated by United or United Express.
  • The United MileagePlus Quest and Club Infinite cards are getting anincrease to the maximum PQP that may be earned in a calendar year, and the total PQP members can earn across their cobranded cards is also increasing.
  • Premier 1K members will earn incremental PlusPoints for every 3K PQP earned beyond 18K PQP once they meet the published requirements for 1K status.
  • All redeposit fees associated with cancelling award travel have been removed.
For more information on these changes, and to learn more about our MileagePlus program, visit www.united.com/mpnews.
Originally Posted by PTahCha
The email was just dropped. Here's the summary:
  • Increased PQP qualification levels

• Jump start PQP based on status level - 500/1000/1500/2500 for Silver/Gold/Plat/1K
  • PQP for Award travel, at 1 PQP per 100 miles redeemed + PQF
  • Increased credit card PQP earning cap
  • Removal of award ticket redeposit fees
​​​​​​​
MileagePlus # XXXXX010
Updates to the 2023
MileagePlus Premier Program

For the past two years, we adjusted our MileagePlus® Premier® program requirements to reflect the frequency of travel during uncertain times. With travel now in full swing, our standard qualification requirements are returning. But we are giving you a boost and adding new qualifying activities to our 2023 MileagePlus Premier program to make achieving your status goals even easier.

Jumpstart your PQP balance: We're giving you a head start on your status goals to make retaining or upgrading status easier. In early 2023, we'll automatically deposit PQP into your MileagePlus account based on the 2023 Premier status you reached at the end of 2022. Eligible members will enjoy this head start toward status in 2024 as well.

Qualifying with award tickets: An exciting change we are making in 2023 is that when you use MileagePlus miles for award flights operated by United or United Express you will now earn Premier qualifying credits. Eligible award flights will help you achieve status with 1 PQP per 100 miles redeemed, as well as 1 PQF per United or United Express flight.

Increased credit card PQP caps: For 2023, the maximum PQP able to be earned will double for the United Quest card from 3,000 to 6,000 PQP and for the United Club Infinite card from 4,000 to 8,000 PQP. Eligible United MileagePlus Chase Cardmembers will continue to earn 500 PQP per $12,000 spent. The maximum number of PQP that can be earned on eligible card spend in a calendar year across multiple credit cards has increased from 5,000 PQP to 15,000 PQP, making it even easier to reach Premier status goals through card spend.*

Award ticket redeposit fee removal: All redeposit fees associated with canceling award travel have been removed so you have more choice and control over managing plans.

Earn more PlusPoints: United is the only U.S. global airline that allows you to earn unlimited extra upgrade points after reaching the highest published status level. Eligible members will enjoy earning incremental PlusPoints with 20 additional PlusPoints for every 3,000 PQP earned beyond 18,000 PQP (starting at 21,000 PQP) once they have met the published Premier 1K requirements in 2023.
Print Wikipost

Earning UA MileagePlus Status in 2023 for 2024

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I can slide happily into lifetime Gold and no longer give 1K status a second glance or make any attempt to qualify.
Don't hold your breathe. I suspect when UA realizes by April or May that many others are thinking (and acting) same then it will be a summer and fall of promotions...
vandy96, narvik and leoo like this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
So United is saying travel is back to 2019 levels and so many people are qualifying for elite levels. Yet they feel compelled to "soften the blow" by giving free PQPs again at the beginning of the year. If they're goal is to shrink the elite ranks so we all have a better chance of actually enjoying the perks we're entitled to (CPU, etc.) then why give out the free PQPs? Also, giving out PQPs for award flights now will do nothing but inflate the ranks further. United basically wants everybody in their program to be elite.

I'm not sure what the point of raising the additional PlusPoints threshold to $3K is. Do they want us to have fewer PlusPoints because they're so hard to use, thus thinning the number people have to throw at flights?

-RM
gutt22 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:42 am

2. earn PQP on award tickets, but at 1PQP per 100 miles redeemed
So 1cpm which is what the floor is for them if you use money+miles, makes sense

3. another PP extension
Not seeing this, anywhere. My understanding is there are no more extensions.

4. the 2023 “head start” bonus is just a small sprinkle of a few PQP
A little over 10% of the total required PQP for whatever level you have, not sure how that is only a "sprinkle". Also believe it is permanent going forward, so you get it every year based on the status you qualify. Combined with the award PQPs (on UA), if you use your earned miles on yourself, from spend on UA alone, it would put your actual out of pocket requirement close to 19-20k, in line with AA and DL.

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I didn't see a reference in the email description of PQP on card spend. Will the PQP earnings on credit card spend continue to apply only if qualifying on PQP+PQF (and not PQP only)?
Yes only for PQP + PQF

Originally Posted by ani90
Don't hold your breathe. I suspect when UA realizes by April or May that many others are thinking (and acting) same then it will be a summer and fall of promotions...
Probably underestimating the amount of people who alerady hit the 20k+ levels of spend already. This is clearly trying to segment 1K more for the people who have higher spend levels, but not enough to hit GS level of spending.
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Good news in my books! Great to see UA matching DL's award ticket credit Now, hoping this will also count as LT miles
NYCUA2P, lsquare, cuthroat and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by unique1
Wondering if anyone has heard any peep on what United status requirements flying in 2023 for 2024 might look like? Do we think it's the same COVID-19 reduction for what this year was for 2023 status (e.g. 1K = 13,500PQP+36PQF or 15K PQP) or going back up to pre-COVID requirements (e.g. 1K = 18KPQP+54PQF or 24K PQP)?
Pre-Covid levels, and as a recession builds. Brilliant 🙄

Last edited by 2stepbay; Nov 8, 2022 at 10:39 am
Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
The real losers are hub flyers and international flyers who try to make 1K.

They likely can't do 54 segments so they need to spend $24,000 (minus starter bonus). Clearly UA values 1K so much.

Increased CC spend PQP isn't helping because maximum 15000 PQP doesn't count towards 1K.

Removing all deposit fees for awards is good.

Award tickets on UA receiving PQP is also good.
gutt22, big V, NYCUA2P and 8 others like this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by kb1992
I said before, whoever from United came up with the $24K figure lost touch with reality.
Ah…that would be CEO Scott Kirby and his $17 mil/yr salary.
Return2flight and frutabell like this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:51 am

Ouch.
54 PQF/13,700 PQP last year and to date 56 PQF/13,200 PQP this year so unless work sends me abroad next year I might only have one more year to enjoy being a 1K that I have been liking so much.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
OOOOH! More useless PlusPoints

Originally Posted by scubadu
United makes it easier to earn more PlusPoints - how about making it easier to use the darn things. I would gladly use all 580 I currently have to get a confirmed R/T UG on an upcoming trip to Oz that I booked in coach. I'd piss and moan about never flying again, but I am lifetime 1K and live in Denver, so I'm kind of handcuffed. Will make it to Platinum Medallion this year, though...
NYCUA2P, denver19, kmsutra and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Thread title should be “UA makes it harder for some to reach Premier status in 2024”.

Or better yet, just: “UA Premier Qualification Hurdles for program year 2024”

The 1K numbers look like the pre-pandemic numbers, or am I mistaken? But with a jump start?
boss315 and 2stepbay like this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Thread title should be “UA makes it harder for some to reach Premier status in 2024”.

Or better yet, just: “UA Premier Qualification Hurdles for program year 2024”
I think there will be very few who will find it easier to requalify for Premier status. 😮
2stepbay and denver19 like this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:58 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC

Earn more PlusPoints

United is the only U.S. global airline that allows you to earn unlimited extra upgrade points after reaching the highest published status level. To align with travel returning to normal levels, Premier 1K members will earn incremental PlusPoints for every 3,000 PQP earned beyond 18,000 PQP (starting at 21,000 PQP) once they have met the published Premier 1K requirements in 2023.\

PP earning is down - currently it is every 2000pqp - going to 3000 pqp

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
So United is saying travel is back to 2019 levels and so many people are qualifying for elite levels. Yet they feel compelled to "soften the blow" by giving free PQPs again at the beginning of the year. If they're goal is to shrink the elite ranks so we all have a better chance of actually enjoying the perks we're entitled to (CPU, etc.) then why give out the free PQPs?
It sounds like the "free PQPs" is a permanent addition going forward to remain competitive with AA/DL, not in response to economic concerns. Essentially along the lines of if you have status it helps you maintain status. AA has it with loyalty points earning more based on your status (since it is based on the RDM formula of 5-11 RDM per dollar spent depending on status), DL has it with rollover MQMs.

Also, giving out PQPs for award flights now will do nothing but inflate the ranks further. United basically wants everybody in their program to be elite.
While everyone else simulatenously says this is the end of !K because they can't/don't want to meet the new thresholds? As the TPG points out it helps them get people to drive spend onto UA CC instead of 3rd party cards that allow them to redeem for revenue tickets but still earn their PQPs. It also catches up with DL allowing this to be done. Given the increased thresholds it's probably a wash at best in terms of inflating ranks.

I'm not sure what the point of raising the additional PlusPoints threshold to $3K is. Do they want us to have fewer PlusPoints because they're so hard to use, thus thinning the number people have to throw at flights?
Sounds like it, and the changes that have happened with air fare since the program was released with the 2k number. You can't honestly think they're happy with the amount of PlusPoints they have out there right now, can you?
TXJeepGuy likes this.

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC

Qualifying for award tickets

An exciting change we are making in 2023 is that when you use MileagePlus miles for award flights operated by United or United Express, you are now eligible to earn Premier qualifying credits. Eligible award flights will help you achieve status with 1 PQP earned per 100 miles redeemed, as well as 1 PQF earned per United or United Express flight. PQP and PQF from qualifying award flights will count toward earning all status levels, whether through both PQF and PQP or PQP only thresholds. PQP from award flights will also count towards earning incremental PlusPoints for eligible members.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 7:59 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
According to the TPG link, any credit card-earned PQP cannot be used towards the $24k PQP requirement for $1k. Kind of defeats the purpose of you still need people to spend that much money or fly 54 PQFs.

Definitely seems like 2023 will be my last year as a 1K. It was a good 7-year run!
But it's good for those that don't spend as much on tickets and take a lot of flights. Remember award flights count for PQF as well now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.