FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Earning UA MileagePlus Status in 2023 for 2024
Old Nov 8, 2022, 12:27 pm
frappant

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by ty97
General reaction: No real surprise in the requirements. This is what the requirements were going to be pre-pandemic (though never previously implemented due to the pandemic).

I only made 1K this year due to reduced requirements and the PQP boost. My travel patterns don't lend themselves to the higher 1K requirements, and I'm fine with that. As long as I reach at least Gold for *A benefits, I'll be okay.
I'm in the same boat. Made 1K for the first time last year, unexpectedly.

I spent approximately half of the new 1K required spend. No way I'm spending $24k, even with the bonus PQP.

In fact, before the pandemic, when they announced these requirements, I might not have spent up to Gold either, which is my target. I remember checking out AC flights, because they earned more.

In general, flying out of SFO, AC for Europe or for Asia and Oceania have some scheduling disadvantages and also you don't get to use the PL either. Some times the AC flights are priced less.

I went through an ordeal last week, making an AC award, SFO-YVR-BNE, because of severe IRROPS on the SFO-YVR flight.

So I'd probably be hesitant on relying too much on AC to earn more PQP than on other Star Alliance flights or even on United flights themselves to Europe or across the pacific.