Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Future Flight Credit {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 2, 2022, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
More details on use of ETCs : UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): General Q&A, ... now 2 year life

More details on use of FFCs : How to get residual value ("future flight credit") from non-refundable flight
Issues with UA's online rebooking: Missing flights, higher prices, changed cabin, ..

* In mid-2021, UA started a process that seems headed to unify ETCs/FFCs and expand their usability
* This is still in process but much of this wiki is out-of-date and will need to be rewritten once the dust settles
* Conversion of FFCs to ETCs are no longer an option
* Most FFCs can only be used by original traveller (some older ones have more flexibility)
* See this UA announcement (27 Sept 2021) for some insight
* However presently there are still reports of issues, inconsistencies

In early 2020, UA changed the 1-year life of tickets and ETCs to 2 years and also change rebooked flights had to "commenced" in the original ticket's life vs the older, but unenforced "complete travel.

1) Canceled ticket credit / future flight credit (FFC) -- this is where the flight is canceled but the ticket is left open. In effect when you use this credit, it is a ticket change.
This change must be made within 1 2 years of the original purchase date. The present COVID-19 waivers state "Rebooked travel must commence within 12 24 months from the original ticket issue date". Previously there is some uncertainty if the new flight needs to be completed in the same 1-year window. In the recent past that was not true but same agents are claiming it is now required. (this may be a factor on how the ticket is changed, a simple change of date is probably limited to the original purchase 1-year window but a more significant change should be a new ticket and a new full-year window.)
The new ticket can be any itinerary that can be booked on United.com (BE tickets have additional restrictions). The online re-booking / change tool is flaky and best to re-book with an agent.
The future flight credit will be listed online as a canceled flight. The new booking has to be in the same name as the previous booking but if the future booking is cheaper (and not originally booked after 2 March 2020) you will receive an ETC for the difference. For tickets purchased after 2 March 2020, there was a no-residual phrase in the fare rules, but an ETC option in place of the FFC was readily available until 1 August 2020. Generally, pre-1 August tickets continue to have the conversion to ETC if you called. Recent reports suggest this conversion may be again available (YMMV) for some post 1 August FFC tickets. Also one recent report the ETC residual practice may be re-instated.
Future flight credit cannot be combined. You need to convert them to ETC if you want to combine more than one FFC for a new ticket.
Note: there is no 24-hour "flexible booking" for new tickets made with flight credit -- although all purchases today have no change fees.
As of 16 April 2020, appears FFC for cancellation 3 March and later, may be convertible to ETCs, check your ticket in Cancelled Flights (if any United payment types were used to book the ticket (an ETC, TravelBank credit, etc.) or purchased with Chase points, the ETC option may not be available)

Multiple reports (in Feb 2021) of FFCs have been extended to 31 March 2022

2) Electronic Ticket Credit (ETC)-- this is where the ticket is converted is a cash value credit and you have 1 2-year from ETC issuance to book a new flight and that future new flight to be completed with-in 1-year of the new booking's date. So up to a total of two three-year window.
You will / should receive a voucher code to use in the future booking (you need to keep track of this but agents can look it up).
The ETC can be used by anyone but is limited to UA/UX operated flights ( a complicated workaround may work to book partner flights).
Fairly simple to use the ETC online and multiple ETCs can be combined if needed -- but the same ETC can not directly be used by multiple passengers on the same PNR.
Note if ETC covers the entire cost of the new flight, you can not use a credit card for the flight purchase and will not receive any of the benefits that come from using a credit card.
Appears for multi-passenger PNRs, ETCs go back to the "first traveler" and not the individual traveler (as FFC). "Note: If there are multiple travelers on a reservation, the total value will be issued in one certificate to the first traveler." Unknown what happens on split PNRs.

(Unverified thought) FFC of tickets purchased 3 March or later do not have residual value, so far as we know, that does not apply to ETCs at all, so ETCs are better than FFC if canceling new ticket purchases starting 3 March 2020 (till at least 30 April).

UA's -- What’s the difference between electronic travel certificates and future flight credit?
Electronic travel certificates are travel credit given to customers from a United employee for situations including denied boarding instances, customer goodwill, a fare difference during an exchange, and for irregular operations. Future flight credits are credit for the same value of your ticket for the original route given to the same customer(s) who has canceled their flight.

Future flight credits are valid for the same amount as the original ticket purchased and can be applied to new flights. They have a lot of flexibility in routes as they can be used for travel on any United, United Express, or partner-operated flights. Future flight credits must be used for travel within 12 months of the date your original ticket was purchased.

Electronic travel certificates also offer a lot of flexibility. You can use them to book a flight for anyone you’d like, and they can be used for travel up to 24 months from the date they’re issued. Electronic travel certificates must be used for United- or United Express-operated flights.

Note the Must rebook by 12 months for FFC is presently overridden by waivers stating
Cancellations: If the customer decides to cancel the flight they booked before March 31, 2020, they can retain the value of the ticket to be applied to a new ticket without fee for travel up to 24 months from the original ticket issue date. If the customer decides to cancel the flight they booked between April 1, 2020, and May 31, 2020, they can retain the value of the ticket to be applied to a new ticket without fee for travel up to 12 months from the original ticket issue date.
A process for converting an ETC to Refund if the original situation nows qualifies for a refund
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
Please visit united.com/refunds
Select Request Refund
Add all required information
Under purchases > Enter Receipt details
Customer should enter their ticket number in the 'Document Number' field
In details reason for request > "Cancel ETC and refund to original form of payment"
Enter email address
Submit ... .

Other useful threads
Extending a Credit/Travel/ETC Voucher by booking a refundable fare?
UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights
Now See All Your Electronic Travel Credit(s) (ETCs) on Your United.com Account!
Future Flight Credits (FFC) Available on My Trips page?

​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Future Flight Credit {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2021, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As a follow on to the prior post found the following

Seems to suggest less distinction between FFC types than prior post mentioned.
cannot use FFC for partner flights only. No way to book on app or website. Just says no flights scheduled even though the partners have them.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:45 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, Phil Smith
Originally Posted by Phil Smith
cannot use FFC for partner flights only. No way to book on app or website. Just says no flights scheduled even though the partners have them.
May not be a FFC issue but rather No longer able to book many *A Partner flights on united.com?
Old Oct 19, 2021, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
For FFC's I can't seem to find the answer in the 100 or so posts I have read so far - I have 4 FFC's. I know I can now combine them as per previous posts and I see it on the payments page. However, if I have a reservation that I would like to purchase in excess of the combined FFC's, it doesn't seem to allow me to use BOTH the FFC's and also pay the residual with Credit Card. Am I missing something? Or is this even possible? Do I need to do this by phone? Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 30, 2021, 7:58 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I originally had a flight booked in 2020 that I had to cancel due to Covid (HAD to cancel, it was to Canada)***. I got a FFC which I used recently to buy a domestic ticket (the fare was almost identical). I recently (last week) changed the date on the outbound, the fare had gone down, so they gave me the residual in a new FFC. Now, the whole flight has gone down in price. I called and was told that they allow "one exemption" for a lower price, but I've already had two.

Is this right? I think I was forced to cancel the first flight, and I changed the dates on the second flight, so to me it is now a brand new itinerary and therefore I should get the lower fare as a FFC, since to me it's the first exemption on the new flight. I'm fine either way just want to know if what she told me was correct.

And I hope "exemption" is the correct term, it's what the agent used on the phone.

*** Actually, I think it was my choice to cancel since they had not yet closed the border, that's why I got a FFC rather than a refund.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I originally had a flight booked in 2020 that I had to cancel due to Covid (HAD to cancel, it was to Canada)***. I got a FFC which I used recently to buy a domestic ticket (the fare was almost identical). I recently (last week) changed the date on the outbound, the fare had gone down, so they gave me the residual in a new FFC. Now, the whole flight has gone down in price. I called and was told that they allow "one exemption" for a lower price, but I've already had two.

Is this right? I think I was forced to cancel the first flight, and I changed the dates on the second flight, so to me it is now a brand new itinerary and therefore I should get the lower fare as a FFC, since to me it's the first exemption on the new flight. I'm fine either way just want to know if what she told me was correct.

And I hope "exemption" is the correct term, it's what the agent used on the phone.

*** Actually, I think it was my choice to cancel since they had not yet closed the border, that's why I got a FFC rather than a refund.
Multiple reports in their thread of agents basically telling folks they can’t take advantage of price drops. You can, just not as easy as it should be (or everyone would do it).

Just do this online - change to a different flight with the same fare you have now - or the lower fare you are about to get, then immediately change again to your original flight. Do not cancel and rebook - it will say it’s ‘not available’. This will get you the residual FFC.

clearly UA is not encouraging folks to take advantage of price drops, so not as simple as just asking g, but you can do this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Seeing this when I go to cancel: Please use confirmation number XXXXXX to return to this cancelled reservation in My Trips and make changes for a future trip. Change fees will apply when you use the future flight credit unless you qualify for a change fee waiver. Begin travel by: Dec 31, 2022.

Do I need to be worried about the bolded part? This is not a basic economy ticket, just normal economy on a domestic route. But I don't have a waiver... This ticket was booked maybe two months ago, if that matters.

Additionally, I am canceling this mostly to rebook with a friend who decided to come on this trip after the fact. I want her to get my baggage/seating benefits since she has no status. In the past, UA would "link" these and move the companion on the same itinerary into economy plus, but the agent I spoke with said they have cracked down on this. The flight also happens to have dropped ~$100 since I booked. As long as I do not attempt to use the FFC when I rebook, I won't run into any of the pricing issues designed to stop you from taking advantage of a fare drop, correct? I have lots of other travel to book soon, so happy to keep it simple and use the FFC on another ticket.

Thanks in advance, and no thanks to UA for always making it harder than it has to be...
Old Nov 2, 2021, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by claire16
Seeing this when I go to cancel: Please use confirmation number XXXXXX to return to this cancelled reservation in My Trips and make changes for a future trip. Change fees will apply when you use the future flight credit unless you qualify for a change fee waiver. Begin travel by: Dec 31, 2022.

Do I need to be worried about the bolded part? ...
Just generic boilerplate for the cases that still have change fees
I am canceling this mostly to rebook with a friend who decided to come on this trip after the fact. I want her to get my baggage/seating benefits since she has no status. In the past, UA would "link" these and move the companion on the same itinerary into economy plus, but the agent I spoke with said they have cracked down on this. ...
This will help on the bag fees but the E+ statement is nonsense

The flight also happens to have dropped ~$100 since I booked. As long as I do not attempt to use the FFC when I rebook, I won't run into any of the pricing issues designed to stop you from taking advantage of a fare drop, correct? ......
Price drop is a reasonable reason to do this. Cancel and rebook the same flight can be tricky -- UA does block that in most cases. The workaround is book a different light cancel that and then rebook the desired flight

The case of going find a 1-person PNR to a two-person may work directly, get it a try.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 2, 2021 at 10:45 pm Reason: 1-person PNR to a two-person
Old Nov 3, 2021, 10:26 am

Programs: UA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This will help on the bag fees but the E+ statement is nonsense
Nonsense that they don't do it now, or that they ever did? I've had UA do this for me exactly twice, but most recently in mid 2019. I know it's not their policy, but it never hurts to ask.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 11:05 am

Nonsense that they don't do it now, or that they ever did? I've had UA do this for me exactly twice, but most recently in mid 2019. I know it's not their policy, but it never hurts to ask.
Nonesense that it isn't done; It is still a very common occurrence.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...soldiated.html
Old Nov 3, 2021, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
hard to say specifically what the policy includes.

In all my readings, the policy refers to E+ for ‘companions’, but has never clearly said whether a ‘companion’ needs to be on the same PNR or not. Reports over the years seem to indicate that agents will do it no questions asked, and I don’t recall any reports in here of agents refusing. I haven’t tried for a long time, so i can’t say from personal experience what the specific policy guidelines are today. That said, AFAIK, airport agents still can add off-PNR companions to the airport upgrade list (though IME,, can be difficult to find ones that actually have the knowledge), but again, that’s not recent, so I’m not sure if there are internal guidelines that have changed.

If anyone has any specific knowledge of a place that includes language that specifically says off-PNR companions can be added to E+ with a premier, or the other way, I’d be interested in seeing it.

it should also be noted that with off-PNR companions, it has always been fickle in terms of whether the free E+ sticks after changes - has always been the case for any time E+ is given for free when the pax is not specifically entitled to it (ie, if they haven’t paid for it or are an eligible premier/on same PNR as a eligible premier). Any schedule change, particularly rebooked flights in advance, and aircraft type or aircraft configuration changes, can always result in being re-assigned to regular Y, but as always, YMMV.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 10:09 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
FWIW it is worth I really like the new system. Just booked fam to Peru in a few weeks and was able to use multiple leftovers for all my travellers plus several I had all on one page in one spot. Several clicks and it was all booked, same for some flights I booked a few days ago.

Kudos to the updated system from me. YMMV of course ;-)
Old Nov 12, 2021, 5:31 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Has anyone else had trouble lately booking with FFC online? I just tried to book a very simple domestic roundtrip (well, coterminal origin and return destination, but still) and, for perhaps the fifth time in a couple weeks, I got a generic "There was a problem completing your purchase" error message. Seconds later, when I went back to rebook, the availability dropped from Y7 to Y6 and the fare jumped (since id been trying to book the last seat in K class), which tells me the system has held the space for me. Still, I can't see the itinerary in My Bookings, and I haven't been billed.

Similar problems happened to me a couple weeks ago when trying to book tickets either purely with FFCs or with FFC/credit-card combinations. Several times, I got an error message saying my charge had been denied by my credit-card issuer, even though (a) the charge showed as pending on my banking app, (b) I received no fraud alert, and (c) this is the United Chase card, which should be aware that I book a lot of UA flights. All of which leads me to believe the problem was really on United's end.

With respect to my failed bookings last week: A day later, I called, and an agent tried to reinstate the booking. After half an hour on hold, the call disconnected on UA's end and I gave up. (I'm flying for status segments; I was miffed enough to stop trying that day.)

Is this an unusual problem, or is United's IT failing to apply/process FFCs correctly? If the latter, that's a problem.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ezefllying
Has anyone else had trouble lately booking with FFC online? I just tried to book a very simple domestic roundtrip (well, coterminal origin and return destination, but still) and, for perhaps the fifth time in a couple weeks, I got a generic "There was a problem completing your purchase" error message. Seconds later, when I went back to rebook, the availability dropped from Y7 to Y6 and the fare jumped (since id been trying to book the last seat in K class), which tells me the system has held the space for me. Still, I can't see the itinerary in My Bookings, and I haven't been billed.

Similar problems happened to me a couple weeks ago when trying to book tickets either purely with FFCs or with FFC/credit-card combinations. Several times, I got an error message saying my charge had been denied by my credit-card issuer, even though (a) the charge showed as pending on my banking app, (b) I received no fraud alert, and (c) this is the United Chase card, which should be aware that I book a lot of UA flights. All of which leads me to believe the problem was really on United's end.

With respect to my failed bookings last week: A day later, I called, and an agent tried to reinstate the booking. After half an hour on hold, the call disconnected on UA's end and I gave up. (I'm flying for status segments; I was miffed enough to stop trying that day.)

Is this an unusual problem, or is United's IT failing to apply/process FFCs correctly? If the latter, that's a problem.
Booking with FFCs is a mess. I appreciate that they've tried to make them easier to use, but I've had to call in for well over half of the reservations for which I've tried to use them.

The Y7 to Y6 sounds as though the system created a reservation for you and then choked on figuring out the payment. That is what happened for me twice. Once at least I got an email confirmation, so I could see that there was a reservation, and that it was stuck. I called in to get it unstuck. The other time I got no email nor website message, just a perpetual "pending" circle on the purchase page. Then I wound up having to call in, three times before an agent could figure out what was going on. Both times took over an hour to resolve.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by fumje
Booking with FFCs is a mess. I appreciate that they've tried to make them easier to use, but I've had to call in for well over half of the reservations for which I've tried to use them.

The Y7 to Y6 sounds as though the system created a reservation for you and then choked on figuring out the payment. That is what happened for me twice. Once at least I got an email confirmation, so I could see that there was a reservation, and that it was stuck. I called in to get it unstuck. The other time I got no email nor website message, just a perpetual "pending" circle on the purchase page. Then I wound up having to call in, three times before an agent could figure out what was going on. Both times took over an hour to resolve.
This was a booking for tomorrow, and at this point, we're within 24 hours of departure and the upgrade list has processed, so we're down to J0. I'm just going to take AA nonstop instead.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I need to cancel my BOM-EWR return leg(outbound flown). Is it better to cancel and take a FFC or just push out a return to some time late next year which I may take(25% likely) ? I've already bought a new ticket for now for my return as the fare difference to change was outrageous. Curious if it's better to have an FFC or a booking that can later be changed subject to availability in same class(T)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.