Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

T-Mobile Magenta+Magenta Plus Offering Free OnBoard Wifi on UA ( & other US Airlines)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T-Mobile Magenta+Magenta Plus Offering Free OnBoard Wifi on UA ( & other US Airlines)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2022, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
Originally Posted by lsquare
If it's possible, it'll probably be on the planes with ViaSat connections.
I was on a plane with Thales a few weeks ago and it specifically said it supported streaming. I was able to stream Hulu with no issues.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Connection process is pretty simple, click on the t-mobile link. Put your phone number in and it says "Verifying" and that's it. I don't know if it checks against the SIM or anything. I use a dual sim iPhone 14 with one being AT&T the other is T-Mobile. AT&T is my data side, T-Mobile is voice.

The connection won't handle HD, but 360p and 480p were just fine. I prefer to stream a Seattle radio station I like, or listen to different pod casts on Youtube and it works fine.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 9:34 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
The Tmobile access worked great for me on a 739 last week, except it cut out quite a bit mid flight (this was a domestic flight). The process is similar to what I am used to on AA.
Today, coming back, I was on a E175 so it wasn't available there.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bchandler02
The Tmobile access worked great for me on a 739 last week, except it cut out quite a bit mid flight (this was a domestic flight). The process is similar to what I am used to on AA.
Today, coming back, I was on a E175 so it wasn't available there.
It isn't available on any of the Regional carriers. The old unlimited GoGo offering would get you unlimited, but United was excluded. It was limited to DL, AA, and AS.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Good wifi using T-Mobile free this weekend on 737 and MAX. Pretty fast speed.

It's not available on domestic 777, though.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
So I am flying two UA segments today. I'm currently on UA1 as I type this post! The first was domestic and can confirm the TMO login option exists, but I didn't use it. I needed to subscribe to the monthly global WiFi package for at least another month as UA1, and most likely UA2, doesn't have the ability to use TMO as a login. I know someone mentioned 10/15 so I guess we'll see.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: MP Silver
I am a prepaid customer and this worked for me, so it might not just be people who bought their premium plans.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
I am on simple choice plan, travelled Legacy 777 return this week with 2-4-2 business configuration no T-Mobile branding or free Wi-fi options Presented
Old Oct 8, 2022, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I'll be flying 739 Thales soon and hope it shows up!

So just confirming that any device can work - they just validate your mobile number. I guess you could use multiple phone numbers for validation for multiple devices?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 8, 2022 at 1:41 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 8, 2022, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CApreppie
I'll be flying 739 Thales soon and hope it shows up!

So just confirming that any device can work - they just validate your mobile number. I guess you could use multiple phone numbers for validation for multiple devices?
I have T-M family plan. Since I have 2 iPhones, I just used two numbers for validation, even though I was the only one flying.

No issues at all.
CApreppie and Flying Machine like this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kb1992
I have T-M family plan. Since I have 2 iPhones, I just used two numbers for validation, even though I was the only one flying.

No issues at all.
That's great, appreciate the confirmation.. One should just ask their Magenta Max family and friends if they can use their phone number. Magenta Max gets unlimited wifi while Magenta seems to be limited in the number of all-flight sessions.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by CApreppie
That's great, appreciate the confirmation.. One should just ask their Magenta Max family and friends if they can use their phone number. Magenta Max gets unlimited wifi while Magenta seems to be limited in the number of all-flight sessions.
Uh, how many devices would one intend to use in-flight? I'd hate to see your cable and power charger collection.

David
Old Oct 8, 2022, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Uh, how many devices would one intend to use in-flight? I'd hate to see your cable and power charger collection.

David
Well you asked...iPhone and MacBook (either work or personal one) for me. No tablet here. I bring a compact RAVPower 65W dual USB-C charger (make sure to bring small international adapter for the loose UA outlets) and have a smaller 20W USB-C cube charger. I carry a thumbnail-sized small USB-C to USB-A adapter and a USB-A to USB-C adapter as well. I've tried to move to USB-C cables to simplify. Problem is if I bring the work MB Pro, I don't let my personal information mix (like iMessages, photos) on it so personal iPhone having WiFi is more important when using that laptop. I can easily survive just using the free messages but no photos come through or music streaming (esp if only taking iPhone). If personal MacBook Air, I could just use that alone.

Update: The wifi was completely busted on my flight and Thales only covers 48 states.

Last edited by CApreppie; Oct 9, 2022 at 12:18 am
Old Oct 18, 2022, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
All this talk about UA and TMO rolling out WiFi access from October 15th turned out to be false. I'm currently on UA1 (damn flight delay! Anyone else on the same flight as me?) and there is no TMO login. Good thing I re-subscribed for another month of global WiFi. I need something to do for the next 16 hours!
Old Oct 18, 2022, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
All this talk about UA and TMO rolling out WiFi access from October 15th turned out to be false. I'm currently on UA1 (damn flight delay! Anyone else on the same flight as me?) and there is no TMO login. Good thing I re-subscribed for another month of global WiFi. I need something to do for the next 16 hours!
I believe that T-M wifi is not available on any 777/787 planes.

I'll fly EWR/JFK-SIN direct on SQ on New Years Day. That's 19 hours :-)
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.