Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

T-Mobile Magenta+Magenta Plus Offering Free OnBoard Wifi on UA ( & other US Airlines)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T-Mobile Magenta+Magenta Plus Offering Free OnBoard Wifi on UA ( & other US Airlines)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2022, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Yes, Panasonic is key for int'l travel! I'm a bit curious what happens to the money flow behind the scenes? UA was asking $38 for wifi on LHR-SFO yesterday. Is TMobile really picking up that payment obligation?
It's like $39 for SFO-SIN. More than half the monthly subscription fee!
Old Dec 5, 2022, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
Yes, Panasonic is key for int'l travel! I'm a bit curious what happens to the money flow behind the scenes? UA was asking $38 for wifi on LHR-SFO yesterday. Is TMobile really picking up that payment obligation?
what UA charges isn’t what it costs them, so start there. Not sure if UA shares wifi revenue with vendors or just has fixed price contract - if fixed then wifi is pure profit. Either TMo cut deal with UA for heavy discount or with vendors to provide access. I’m guessing the latter because they discuss adding more partners.

but yeah interesting question.
Flying Machine likes this.

Last edited by drewguy; Dec 5, 2022 at 9:47 am
Old Dec 6, 2022, 11:44 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Isn't Delta committed to providing free wifi at some point?

I guess no other airlines have made similar commitments.

Be interesting to see if Starlink gets any traction. My guess is all these existing vendors have too much of a hold for quick or wide adoption.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 2:19 pm

Basically international lacks free WiFI right? I had WiFi on my Thanksgiving flights (domestic), but flying to FRA this past week I had no WiFi options. Doing ICN tomorrow, but prepared for no WiFi (not paying the absurd $30+ prices), so will download a few shows on Netflix ahead of time.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 2:56 pm

I was pleasantly surprised to get free Wi-Fi on domestic 737 a few weeks ago, given that we have an old ONE plan vice the much more expensive Magenta. 👍
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Wx4caster
I was pleasantly surprised to get free Wi-Fi on domestic 737 a few weeks ago, given that we have an old ONE plan vice the much more expensive Magenta. 👍
We have Magenta (no Max) 55+ and have been getting full flight every time on an equipped plane. I thought non-Max Magenta was supposed to be one hour every flight with four full-flights per year.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It's in the fleet site
and United Wi-Fi coverage maps
but it takes a little work to figure it out

GoGo is clear, is UX only
Viasat is clearly noted
Panasonic is Satl Ku
Thales is Satl Ka

Panasonic are the some A319s, all A320, some 757s and all widebodies
Helpful, thank you.

The fleet sheet shows all 66 Dreamliners on the Panasonic system (Satl Ku).

Is there a FT thread that monitors the upgrades of the wifi system to Panasonic 2.0? Are any of the 66 already upgraded?

I don't think you can do Viasat as the coverage is limited to NA & Europe.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 24, 2023, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Any updates on whether the T-mobile MagentaMax subscription is working on international flights now? (Widebodies)
Old Jan 24, 2023, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Any updates on whether the T-mobile MagentaMax subscription is working on international flights now? (Widebodies)
I flew UA29 on Monday and I can confirm that there's no TMO login. I had to buy another 30-day WiFi subscription.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:45 am

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, Supersonic (BA1Y, BA1223)
I flew IAD-SJU RT a couple weeks ago and both overwater legs I lost access on the ViaSat. Connected to wifi, of course, but no traffic passed. The coverage map seems to indicate overwater in the Caribbean, but I couldnt access any web sites at all until we got close to land...
I actually sat next to guy on a flight last month who is leading the ViaSat effort. He says this is just the begining, and they are working hard to deploy the hardware...
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:54 am

FYI I have a T-Mobile plan but not the magenta plans and wifi has activated free for me on all my domestic flights I’ve tried.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 11:44 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I don’t want to post publicly because it could get this shut down, but send a DM if you might want to know how to use your magenta subscription on a laptop or tablet.
Xyzzy and leftysauce like this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 3:49 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
I don’t want to post publicly because it could get this shut down, but send a DM if you might want to know how to use your magenta subscription on a laptop or tablet.
i also think it's technically impossible to kill the workaround
worldwidedreamer and lsquare like this.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by leftysauce
i also think it's technically impossible to kill the workaround
If the workaround is what I think it is, an intermediate auth via the T-Mobile app on the phone would kill it. I think T-Mobile knows what is going to happen by requiring only a phone number now—it’s intentional.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by prometa
If the workaround is what I think it is, an intermediate auth via the T-Mobile app on the phone would kill it. I think T-Mobile knows what is going to happen by requiring only a phone number now—it’s intentional.
like it'll redirect to/open up the T-Mobile app, ask for a sign in/biometric (and validate carrier name and phone number), and redirect back to unitedwifi.com?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.