Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Devalues Clubs - Makes sure they are packed beyond capacity.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Devalues Clubs - Makes sure they are packed beyond capacity.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; UA 1K
Originally Posted by LIH
I've said this elsewhere in GS discussions but I'm literally moving to AA because of the lounges. As CK on AA I get access to their Flagship lounges even on domestic itineraries. Given the 120 touchpoints I have with an airport lounge in a given year this is easily worth it for me to hop from GS, particularly as an ORD-based flyer (as noted in this thread the UC situation at ORD is miserable despite 3.5 lounges (I don't count C16).
I've also moved to AA from UA (also ORD-based). The UA club experiences I've had in the past 12 months have ranged from mediocre to awful. The AA experiences have generally been ok, sometimes good. The AA Executive Club card permits authorized user access to the club without primary cardmember present (a big plus for our four adult children and spouse). And after the devaluation of the "Infinite" card we switched spend to the AA Executive Card, and the AA Loyalty Points scheme has allowed McTigerWife to get to Platinum Pro in 6 months with Executive Platinum about three months away -- she got upgraded to LAX at the gate last Thursday, her third upgrade in the past four tries. I think UA is going to find its UC problems to be a growing competitive disadvantage. We cancelled our Infinite Card over the weekend at the annual renewal fee window.

Sure, all clubs are more crowded than they used to be, but we have had much less problem with overcrowding at Admirals Club than at UC, especially at ORD.
LIH likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:09 pm

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, IHG Plat Elite, Hyatt Gold, Marriott GE, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Been 1K and paying for UC (Red Carpet Club, prior) for the same amount of years.
It used to be a business traveler lounge. Now it's Romper Room. I've literally watched passengers open rollers and shove snacks and chips in, zip up, and roll out. Every month, United has to roll out more restrictions on beverages and snacks because who they're selling to is treating the place like a Dollar Store.
Great customer base you've attracted, United.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fastfxr
Great customer base you've attracted, United.
It's not like any other US airline has a classier customer base. If anything, UA ranks towards the top on that score.
SPN Lifer, Boraxo, uanj and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fastfxr
Been 1K and paying for UC (Red Carpet Club, prior) for the same amount of years.
It used to be a business traveler lounge. ...
Once air travel was business travel and some high end leisure travel. Now for all the carriers, leisure greatly expand to being the majority.

And before we go there , business only carriers have repeated been commercial failures. Perhaps NetJets?
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:22 pm

To the people who want a more exclusive, expensive experience, with the PS suites expanding to Atlanta in the future to go along with LAX, perhaps you'll get your wish to pay for that privilege. Of course, it'll take them quite some time to have a network extensive enough to cover the typical road warrior. Wouldn't expect them to ever be in more than a handful of airports.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 4:37 am

Always interesting to see lounge discussions.

I have been in situations where I'm happy that I qualify for a nice lounge (some PP lounges are true J lounges for example); I have also been in situations where I wished the lower-tier rabble weren't stinking up the same lounge as me.

Ideally, the best lounge is the one that lets you in, and shuts everyone else out
Old Jun 28, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Was in BOS yesterday, stopped in the lounge for about 30 min. Got a table, some snacks, and a drink no problem.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy
Was in BOS yesterday, stopped in the lounge for about 30 min. Got a table, some snacks, and a drink no problem.
Nice to hear, however I’ve never seen BOS that busy!
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Clemson
To the people who want a more exclusive, expensive experience, with the PS suites expanding to Atlanta in the future to go along with LAX, perhaps you'll get your wish to pay for that privilege. Of course, it'll take them quite some time to have a network extensive enough to cover the typical road warrior. Wouldn't expect them to ever be in more than a handful of airports.
Seems like the Minute Suites are ideal for those business travelers who just want a quiet little oasis away from the rabble.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Nice to hear, however I’ve never seen BOS that busy!
Like many locations BOS UC can get horrific at times. If they have several large capacity flights heading out at or about the same times you can't even get a seat. I would agree that generally this is the exception and not the rule at BOS.
Flying Machine and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Anyone recently notice bartenders giving away the craft/import beer for tips rather than charging it? Not sure if improvement or hustle.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
Anyone recently notice bartenders giving away the craft/import beer for tips rather than charging it? Not sure if improvement or hustle.
All the draft beer is free now.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by cambridgeguy
Seems like the Minute Suites are ideal for those business travelers who just want a quiet little oasis away from the rabble.
I love them I used a similar product to them (Minute Suites) at SIN airport often. If I was transiting through SIN I often wouldn't even clear customs and just stay at one of the "minute suites" options. I actually would love to see more of them when more options than they have at US airports.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
All the draft beer is free now.
Good to know!
Old Jun 29, 2022, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by mduell
Funny, I'm heading the other way from most in this thread, signing up for the Club (via the Chase card) mostly because I'm traveling with kids now, 7 years after ending my prior membership.

Maybe they'll install playgrounds soon...
This is the direction UC is going... for better or worse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.