Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Devalues Clubs - Makes sure they are packed beyond capacity.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Devalues Clubs - Makes sure they are packed beyond capacity.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Red Carpet Club to the left, No Carpet Club to the right. Brilliant
Red Carpet Club to the left, Concrete Club to the right.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
I wish the UC was 2.5k a year. No passes. No free membership. of course if it was, many here would howl that UA was ignoring their loyal base and that they should be exempted from having to pay such an exorbitant fee. I would have a quiet place to get a drink though, and afterall - isn't that what the clubs are for?
Once upon a time, these clubs existed. UA's was called Red Carpet Club. Unfortunately, clubs and Wall Street don't mix, so today's UC is what you get..
Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Ever try to get a drink? Line is 50 people long and takes 30 minutes.
Really? 30 mins? I've never waited that long even at 5pm at the old EWR C74. A line of 6 or 7 deep moved fast at my last visit because no one gets anything fancy - just beer, wine, well.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 12:21 pm

Fly out of LAX and you can pay for it (https://reserveps.com/). Avoid the riffraff and the only unruly family you'll have to deal with is your own. If you don't have thousands of dollars to throw around then sorry, airlines aren't going to maintain a large space in a busy airport for a select group who aren't paying an arm and a leg.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by seanp7
Really? 30 mins? I've never waited that long even at 5pm at the old EWR C74. A line of 6 or 7 deep moved fast at my last visit because no one gets anything fancy - just beer, wine, well.
I've never waited 30 -- but I have waited 15 -- what messes everything up is the UC newbies -- they order a Sauvignon Blanc and find out that's not free -- only the headache in the bottle Chardonnay is -- so they ask for a menu, text their spouse to -- and we are off....
PTahCha and as219 like this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I've never waited 30 -- but I have waited 15 -- what messes everything up is the UC newbies -- they order a Sauvignon Blanc and find out that's not free -- only the headache in the bottle Chardonnay is -- so they ask for a menu, text their spouse to -- and we are off....
And there's the people who don't know that the sign outside the club "No One Time Passes" means....NO ONE TIME PASSES.

At ORD on Saturday I was in line behind 14 people (which turned out to be 3x families of 4 + 1 young couple) to get scanned in and I had to listen to each on get the explanation "temporary club...no passes...members only...standing room only...no...sorry...can't sell you a pass..." and the follow-up objections/are-you-sure/but-we-won't-take-up-much-room. If I could hear it every time the agent explained it I'm really not sure why groups 2, 3, and 4 made her repeat herself but.....ARRRGH. (Also: Contrary to agent's bleak description, there was available seating for members which I appreciated)

Would be nice if the clubs did the self-boarding-gate thing (that I think I've seen at a few of the EU lounges) -- if you don't need assistance, just scan your BP and in. If the gate says no, see an agent.
nineworldseries and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
And there's the people who don't know that the sign outside the club "No One Time Passes" means....NO ONE TIME PASSES.

At ORD on Saturday I was in line behind 14 people (which turned out to be 3x families of 4 + 1 young couple) to get scanned in and I had to listen to each on get the explanation "temporary club...no passes...members only...standing room only...no...sorry...can't sell you a pass..." and the follow-up objections/are-you-sure/but-we-won't-take-up-much-room. If I could hear it every time the agent explained it I'm really not sure why groups 2, 3, and 4 made her repeat herself but.....ARRRGH. (Also: Contrary to agent's bleak description, there was available seating for members which I appreciated)

Would be nice if the clubs did the self-boarding-gate thing (that I think I've seen at a few of the EU lounges) -- if you don't need assistance, just scan your BP and in. If the gate says no, see an agent.
LOL - because here in the US -- the rules don't apply to ME -- only to EVERYONE ELSE.... However, in their defense as a chase credit card holder -- they do make it seem like you can always use the UA club -- and I honestly believe that the chase pass holders don't think of it as a one time pass -- its a benefit of the card...
Old Jun 19, 2022, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
All the airlines are slum lords. The clubs when not at peak capacity are an under utilized asset. There is zero incentive to do anything but cram people in. The clubs control the costs of operation by limiting the staff and refreshes of food. Ever try to get a drink? Line is 50 people long and takes 30 minutes. So unless you are 3 hours early you really wont get more than maybe two drinks. If you really want the exclusive experience then its time to fly private. Private jets have the quiet lounges with little overcrowding.

Ultimately this is the airlines fault. They trained us to think they were giving us something for nothing. The status game is an incredible racket where airlines train you to fly suboptimal routes and at horrible times to get a shiny badge that gives you just about nothing. There are so many people who are self entitled that they never stop to think they are the reason for this mess. I wish the UC was 2.5k a year. No passes. No free membership. of course if it was, many here would howl that UA was ignoring their loyal base and that they should be exempted from having to pay such an exorbitant fee. I would have a quiet place to get a drink though, and afterall - isn't that what the clubs are for?
Yeah, the UCs bring out the worst behavior in flyers, with everyone aggressively queuing-up and taking as much "free" stuff as they can because they "earned it", or "paid for it". The crap they serve in the UCs isn't worth having if you ask me. However, a quiet environment with a nice comfortable seat and efficient workstation would inspire me to pay-up. I do like the Polaris lounge set-up for that, and the food is decent too.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
While I sympathize and have endured my fair share of jammed UCs, particularly at EWR (my home base), that means that UA is probably gauging demand correctly. If there was constantly a comfortable fit, it probably means that UA built the space only to max potential capacity and therefore is absorbing too large a cost on a variable-cost basis. I do think that cutting back on one-time passes might help, and raising the price could make a difference (although I would be curious to know how many folks have UC membership outright v. owning the Club card and its predecessors).

That said, EWR could use a club of some kind in C2 (although they might have to build vertically, if possible, to do that), even after the C1 renovation is complete. Both the new one in C3 and the one in C1 are pretty far from the C2 gates, which could be an impediment to travelers who do not already walk at the pace of us New York City dwellers.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 8:38 pm
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA should curtail guest access. Large families are a big contributor.
apart from the new EWR club, not sure what this is referring to. Same garbage at SFO.
Not sure where you are traveling, but families are definitely not the problem (large or small). The issue with every airline lounge is credit cards and day passes. It's the same problem at Amex Centurion lounges (which they have had to make departure-only), Delta SkyClubs (because of co-branding), etc. Don't even start on Priority Pass lounges, which are often more crowded than the actual terminal.

Until lounge access is removed as a "free" perk from credit cards, they will all be very, very crowded.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfw
Until lounge access is removed as a "free" perk from credit cards, they will all be very, very crowded.
Be careful what you wish for. I suspect UA would make a lot more money dropping paid memberships and making everyone use a day pass than they would by dropping the day passes.
artvandalay and econ like this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by cfw
Not sure where you are traveling, but families are definitely not the problem (large or small). The issue with every airline lounge is credit cards and day passes. It's the same problem at Amex Centurion lounges (which they have had to make departure-only), Delta SkyClubs (because of co-branding), etc. Don't even start on Priority Pass lounges, which are often more crowded than the actual terminal.

I feel like with UA though, the Club card is not very attractive outside of lounge access, whereas the Amex cards that have SkyClub access are actually good.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by angetenar
I feel like with UA though, the Club card is not very attractive outside of lounge access, whereas the Amex cards that have SkyClub access are actually good.
But kind of moot if you don't fly Delta. You have to actually fly Delta to get the benefits - and for many of us that is not an option.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfw

The lounge access isn't really a perk of the club CC. It's more like the club CC is a club membership which happens to come with a not-very-good CC attached. No one in their right mind is paying $525/year for that card without the club membership attached.

Also I would suspect that if that card went away, most of the cardholders would just pay for the membership so I don't think that it would result in any less crowding.
jsloan, ARR72 and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The lounge access isn't really a perk of the club CC. It's more like the club CC is a club membership which happens to come with a not-very-good CC attached. No one in their right mind is paying $525/year for that card without the club membership attached.
I've interpreted "credit card members" to mean the Explorer Card and the (two annual) passes. I agree, I thought the Club Card was mostly seen as a slightly discounted membership.
TXJeepGuy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.