Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Devalues Clubs - Makes sure they are packed beyond capacity.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Devalues Clubs - Makes sure they are packed beyond capacity.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2023, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by exerda
MCO Club has had "no one day passes" signage up today and yesterday. It's still pretty crowded.

Yet I've watched probably a full half of folks trying to get in who aren't eligible. One lady was using her husband's UC membership without him present, and after lengthy pleas that she'd always been allowed in, they made an exception for her and her son

Several folks thinking their credit cards get them in, with the agents explaining no, only specific cards do. Several more with passes who have been insistent they should be honored. More trying to access on Priority Pass and being referred to other lounges. Others offering to buy a membership right then and there.

I saw several exceptions granted in the short time I was there. It's little wonder it's so crowded... But I also don't envy the agents having to argue with so many pax all day long.
Perhaps LH could send over some of their lounge agents from FRA to assist with turning away the folks who aren’t eligible

In DEN for two hours this morning and ventured over to the CL instead of the UA lounge. There, shockingly, no line out the door of the west club when I arrived at 0630, but I can only imagine how busy it’s getting with the east club still closed.
Xyzzy, Live4Upgrade and rflor like this.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 7:50 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I imagine most other clubs will have these gates soon enough. Cuts down on employee expenses and makes the entry process quicker.
-RM
This is one of the few cases where I like the lack of staff - so frustrating to be stuck in line behind someone arguing to be let in...
(Polaris Clubs seem to have the most of this - either out of really not knowing, or ppl trying it on)

Sure ppl without access rights will still try to get in, but if the gate doesn't let you in, it's time to move out of the way as there's nobody to argue with!
Old Jul 29, 2023, 7:59 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I go thru denver a lot and the lines there always appear really long - and much like ORD - signs saying they dont accept 1-day passes.......

time to cancel credit cards if I/we cant use the passes....
Old Jul 29, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mfirst
I go thru denver a lot and the lines there always appear really long - and much like ORD - signs saying they dont accept 1-day passes.......

time to cancel credit cards if I/we cant use the passes....
I’ve seen the line so long at DEN that people coming off the moving walkway were crashing into them. It was pretty funny to watch ; )
Old Jul 29, 2023, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Dyce
This is one of the few cases where I like the lack of staff - so frustrating to be stuck in line behind someone arguing to be let in...
(Polaris Clubs seem to have the most of this - either out of really not knowing, or ppl trying it on)

Sure ppl without access rights will still try to get in, but if the gate doesn't let you in, it's time to move out of the way as there's nobody to argue with!
LoL so true. The gates work like a charm at IST and there is a desk if your scan gets rejected.
Dyce likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 2:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dyce

They will stand there and try other cards and then still standing want an agent to come over and help. There will always need to be at least one agent for problems or to purchase access.

The gates used at EWR C123 do allow regulars to skip the desk. These gates should be at the new / renovated clubs in the future.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post # 181)
Perhaps LH could send over some of their lounge agents from FRA to assist with turning away the folks who aren’t eligible
Perhaps UA is now hiring lounge milquetoasts instead of lounge dragons?

Originally Posted by Dyce (Post # 182)
This is one of the few cases where I like the lack of staff - so frustrating to be stuck in line behind someone arguing to be let in....

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post # 186)
They will stand there and try other cards and then still standing want an agent to come over and help. There will always need to be at least one agent for problems or to purchase access. . . .

Not to mention the issue of "turnstile tailgaters".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.