Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Devalues Clubs - Makes sure they are packed beyond capacity.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Devalues Clubs - Makes sure they are packed beyond capacity.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by Doppy
Really they should stop giving out or selling one time passes. It's a total scam since you basically can't use them anymore.
I am United 1K. I get OTP(s) from a credit card. I can't use them. They basically worthless. Not to mention the trouble and embarrassment of standing in line only to be turned away because "you're not in the club." They should stop pretending the OTP(S) are some kind of benefit.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 8:11 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Doppy
Really they should stop giving out or selling one time passes.....
The pass situation is exasperated as people have been earning these for the past year and with leisure travel up in recent months and this summer, there is going to be higher than usual demand and high level of unhappiness.
Will be interesting to see if Chase / UA do something to address the dissatisfaction. The newer cards are not including passes -- the Explore card is source of most of the passes

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 18, 2022 at 8:23 am Reason: the Explore card is source of most of the passes
Old Jun 18, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Never had issues using my one time passes at IAH. I think I only ever saw the sign about not accepting them once, and that was the E club.

I upgraded to the club card since I spend so much time traveling for work these days. Over the past year I've been in all the IAH clubs, BOS, DFW, LAS, HNL, SFO and probably more that I'm forgetting. Some are a bit crowded but I've never had an issue finding a bar seat to do some work, which was my primary reason for getting the card.
United747 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA should curtail guest access. Large families are a big contributor.
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
enhanced food offerings
apart from the new EWR club, not sure what this is referring to. Same garbage at SFO.
JAXPax likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by hirohito888
IAH UA clubs get pretty full during the connection banks
Well this would be always as there are always connections going on at IAH not in "banks".
Old Jun 18, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Can we create two different clubs for the airlines?
United Club - Anyone admitted with a membership, first ticket, business ticket, Day Pass, CC pass. Comes with snacks and limited drink options for free, food and adult beverages for purchase.
United Lounge - Only adults with a membership or with a first or business ticket admitted. Top notch service with no charge food and drinks. Quiet areas where no phone conversations are allowed.
porciuscato likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by enviroian
Well this would be always as there are always connections going on at IAH not in "banks".
Yes there are always connecting passengers, but based on UA IAH schedule, there are peak and off-peak connecting times. And that thins out the crowding in the lounge when everyone goes to their departure gate to board.

Take for example today:
8-9AM: 6 scheduled departures/ 61 arrivals
9-10AM: 56 scheduled departures/ 2 arrivals
10-11AM: 30 scheduled departures/ 31 arrivals
11-12PM: 14 scheduled departures/ 22 arrivals
12-1PM: 45 scheduled departures
1-2PM: 1 scheduled departure

So basically by around 1015AM or so, the lounge goes quiet again when everyone finishes stuffing themselves in the lounge and becomes gate lice at the boarding area.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
I'm sure if you're personally willing to pay for the construction, maintenance, and operation, United would consider it.

Quiet areas where no phone conversations are allowed.
There's a zero chance of that ever realistically happening anywhere. Even when they try it, there are always people who violate the rule and no agent is ever willing to say anything.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 10:18 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
United Club - Anyone admitted with a membership, first ticket, business ticket, Day Pass, CC pass. Comes with snacks and limited drink options for free, food and adult beverages for purchase.
United Lounge - Only adults with a membership or with a first or business ticket admitted. Top notch service with no charge food and drinks. Quiet areas where no phone conversations are allowed.

Why 'adults" (whatever that definition is these days) as my children travel in paid Polaris and are entitled to access per UA's rules and regardless one gets a membership through their credit card for regular lounge access anyway. They could limit guests which would help for sure, but I do not see age as a problem, but general capacity.

FWIW in my experience travelling millions of miles I find drunk "adults" (not kids) as the biggest cause of issues both in the clubs and on the aircraft. YMMV of course.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
There's a zero chance of that ever happening anywhere. Even when they try it, there are always people who violate the rule.
On one hand I quite enjoyed learning about someone's bidding strategy for a parking management contract at the ORD C club on Thursday...on the other hand if it's actually enforced the rule sticks well... Try having a cell call on a NJT Quiet Car and between other passengers and conductors it -- or you -- won't last long. Would be a bit nice to see that level of attention in UCs.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 10:20 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Same garbage at SFO.
When do you go? Plenty of sandwiches at Rotunda club this past week and chips which weren’t offered pre-Covid.
SPN Lifer and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
I'm sure if you're personally willing to pay for the construction, maintenance, and operation, United would consider it.

There's a zero chance of that ever realistically happening anywhere. Even when they try it, there are always people who violate the rule and no agent is ever willing to say anything.
Will they allow you in wearing a tank top?
Old Jun 18, 2022, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Quiet areas where no phone conversations are allowed.
The AA JFK Flagship Lounge has a Quiet Room. Haven’t been in there to tell if it’s actually quiet or not though. Some other AA lounges have these, IIRC.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Maybe you have the United Club for the paid lounge/*G/int'l business riff-raff and have a new club with a more luxurious name, maybe a "Red Carpet Club" or something like that. Charge big bucks for it, and if they do it right, have some real VIP service like using GS secret security and tarmac transfers a la LH HON service.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by entropy
Maybe you have the United Club for the paid lounge/*G/int'l business riff-raff and have a new club with a more luxurious name, maybe a "Red Carpet Club" or something like that. Charge big bucks for it, and if they do it right, have some real VIP service like using GS secret security and tarmac transfers a la LH HON service.
That is, essentially, what Polaris Lounges are. Demand is intentionally controlled because UA knows it will essentially never practically exceed (#J Seats)x(#Long Haul INTL flights departing/arriving that airport) -- with the small number of PLounge-at-non-Polaris airport flyers being offset by local passengers who don't use the lounge -- no membership, no passes, limited (no?) guests -- and much better amenities at least pre-C19. IIRC, LH's F lounges are similarly "no passes, no membership". I don't think there's sufficient market demand (or available real estate in enough airports) to make two different membership-based lounge products viable.

Given that UA has gutted premium services (see: chauffeured transfers) I wouldn't count on them making a business case for a return in the near future.

In other words... For the "charege big bucks for it" option by the time you make it expensive enough add on to make sense for UA to meaningfully limit availability and combine it with airfare you're probably getting close enough to the charter/fractional charter ranges that a significant number of potential clients would go that route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.