Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA plus pts with 31 July 2022 expiry, extended to Jan 2023; Jan 2023 to July 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA plus pts with 31 July 2022 expiry, extended to Jan 2023; Jan 2023 to July 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:40 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I think that this is really it. UA"s published requirements to qualify for 1K in 2023 are off the charts compared to the competition. DL is still $15k. AA has gone to the LP scheme so it's hard to make a precise apples-to-apple comparison but even if you get all your LP from flying (which is clearly not what they want or expect you to do) the requirements to maintain EXP are still nowhere near UA's published 1K requirements.
Very good post, but is the bolded part really true? As far as I can tell, 1K requires the lowest spend ($13,500) of the Big Three in 2022, rather than the highest.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by js1993
Very good post, but is the bolded part really true? As far as I can tell, 1K requires the lowest spend ($13,500) of the Big Three in 2022, rather than the highest.
"Regular" is 24k, which may or may not come back for 2023
$15k (or 13500 with segments) is the 2022 discounted threshold.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:57 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by rankourabu
"Regular" is 24k, which may or may not come back for 2023
$15k (or 13500 with segments) is the 2022 discounted threshold.
It's definitely not coming back for 2023, since we're halfway into 2023 qualifying. Maybe in 2023 for 2024, but it's hard to imagine UA will jump it by $9,500 as a recession looms.

As for right now, re-qualifying for 1K on UA for 2023 is $13,500, which is lower than DL and a lot lower than AA.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by js1993
Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I said qualify in 2023, not for 2023. I'm going by the currently published amounts (which of course they may change at any time before 2023)

Also, things like the cap on partner earn and the extremely low amount of PQP for CC spend make it harder on UA than even the numbers indicate. $12k spend for 500 PQP is quite bad (consider that on DL, $25k CC spend gets you a MQD waiver for all levels but diamond. On UA it gets you 1000 PQP. On DL you can rack up MQD by flying on AeroMexico in PE. On UA the 750 PQP cap kills that on previously useful partners like SQ and AC).

Basically, on UA you need to spend the cash on flights. On AA and DL there are workarounds.
SPN Lifer and js1993 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
My wife and I are both 1Ks without any OPM flying, and I dont think we are "wealthy", just have lots of spare time and take advantage of generous partner and bulk premium cabin PQP

This ($24k / person) is what I was referring to. If that's someone's travel budget just for flights, they must be spending well into 6 figures total on travel (I'm guessing most people are not spending $10k on business class for 2 to stay at a motel 6 for $49 a night). I would say that qualifies as pretty wealthy.

My point is just that only a very few couples can afford to spend $50k on flights in a year if it's their money.

But I fully agree with you, United bet the house on OPM before the pandemic, firing all non-OPM elites (especially 1Ks). And it seems like they are stubbornly hanging on to that strategy by extending these upgrades
Right, I think that we are on the same page here. All major airlines court business travelers (and why wouldn't they) but UA seems to be the most aggressive at it, to the detriment of their other customers. Other airlines seem to be more balanced in their approach.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by cfischer
It better goes back to $24k!
50K, do I have 50?
Old Jun 30, 2022, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zombietooth
50K, do I have 50?
UA has consistently raised the spending requirements since they were introduced, and yet upgrades seem scarcer than ever. There's no reason to think that UA raising the requirements further is going to have much of an effect on whoever's remaining. The implication seems to be that all of these "excess" 1Ks, who are (naturally) less deserving because reasons, are taking the valuable PZ space, depriving the "true" 1Ks. I find it equally, if not more, plausible that UA is simply selling the seats, rather than giving them to anyone.

What do I base this on? Large number of flights with PZ0 and few/no apparent bookings. Stories of people being on the waitlist for months and failing to clear. Etc.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would make sense that fewer elites would lead to more people buying F.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
More or less PPs makes no difference if there isn’t much PZ.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Artpen100
More or less PPs makes no difference if there isn’t much PZ.
I think this leads to a bigger impact in domestic flights where people have noticed a decline in CPU, since everyone is throwing PP into domestic upgrades and prioritizing themselves on the upgrade list. Though arguably, one could also say PP makes no difference domestically since UA is also selling F upgrades for cheap.

Whatever the case the lack of PZ is annoying. Searched for an hour last night for PZ space 3 months out and couldn't find any. Ended up purchasing a discounted J-fare because it was marginally more expensive than the Y/O fares and it didn't make sense for me to waitlist with PP.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by DELee
Naw - I think the PlusPoints expiration extension is being driven by the UA Marketeers and them hoping that, with PlusPoints, these will keep certain folks (some 2019-era Platinums, 1Ks and GSs) more sticky to UA.

David
Yeah I fit in this category and was glad to see my 380 PP were not going to expire on 7/31. I will hopefully use them in the autumn like early to mid November when hopefully less people are traveling. I have flown 4 segments on UA this year to MCO and have been using AF for my international trips.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by jsloan
UA has consistently raised the spending requirements since they were introduced, and yet upgrades seem scarcer than ever. There's no reason to think that UA raising the requirements further is going to have much of an effect on whoever's remaining. The implication seems to be that all of these "excess" 1Ks, who are (naturally) less deserving because reasons, are taking the valuable PZ space, depriving the "true" 1Ks. I find it equally, if not more, plausible that UA is simply selling the seats, rather than giving them to anyone.

What do I base this on? Large number of flights with PZ0 and few/no apparent bookings. Stories of people being on the waitlist for months and failing to clear. Etc.
I don't think we can surmise much about the future from the last three years. UA introduced PQPs just before Covid, and that made everything a mess, and continues to for different reasons.

Right now airlines are booked pretty full with paying pax, including in F. What's left for upgrades is pretty limited.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
I wonder if this means status will be extended to 7-31-2023 as well? Cause if someone is 1k now and has PPs which expire 7-31-2023 but doesn't requalify, does that mean they'll be Silver, Gold, whatever after 1-31-2023 but still have PPs?
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
I wonder if this means status will be extended to 7-31-2023 as well? Cause if someone is 1k now and has PPs which expire 7-31-2023 but doesn't requalify, does that mean they'll be Silver, Gold, whatever after 1-31-2023 but still have PPs?
I would hope that status would be extended (please no flame-throwing)!
Old Jul 2, 2022, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Did UA extend status the past few years? If not, there would be no reason to do so now.

The various PQP promos more than suffice.
​​​​​​

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Jul 2, 2022 at 10:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.