Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA plus pts with 31 July 2022 expiry, extended to Jan 2023; Jan 2023 to July 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 25, 2022, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

UA plus pts with 31 July 2022 expiry, extended to Jan 2023; Jan 2023 to July 2023

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
This is a dreadful decision by United. Just more and more PlusPoints in the system so that those of us who do fly regularly will never get CPUs.
That is indeed the significant impact for 1Ks. Though I suspect the upsells remain the biggest impediment to CPUs. AS doesn't do those, and it's just so much easier to get upgrades when the carrier isn't selling the F cabin full at a discount in the five days prior to departure.
mikeyf, Aussienarelle and Manisero like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
Disappointing for those of us who earned PP (and status) in 2021 the hard way.

UA's logic undoubtedly is that extending the points will motivate those who benefit to fly UA vs. the competition. Diluting benefits for the rest of us is apparently of little or no concern.
It's really only shifting back 6 months the dilution that already was created by the previous extension, and with lesser dilution as people do use at least some PP and will have fewer to use.

With this, you're now competing from 8/1 to 1/31 with those who have remaining PP earned in 2019/2020 and still have 1K status (which is not all of them), and from 2/1 to 7/31/23 with those who earned PP in 2021, which means basically the same group of people with whom you were already competing, just over a longer time frame. On the latter group, only newly minted 1Ks in 2022 who would like to use 2022-earned PP who are seeing dilution because they don't have pre-2022 PP that are now lasting to 7/31/23 instead of 1/31/23.
uanj likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:57 am

At some point UA has to reward those who actually flew in 2020 and 2021. I flew a bunch in 2020 with only a short 3 month break from end of March to beginning of July and flew all of 2021 with 55 flights. If earned (and used) my points and though I haven't come hard up against competition for upgrades on desired flights it would be nice to get upgrades when available.
rankourabu and marks88 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is indeed the significant impact for 1Ks. Though I suspect the upsells remain the biggest impediment to CPUs. AS doesn't do those, and it's just so much easier to get upgrades when the carrier isn't selling the F cabin full at a discount in the five days prior to departure.
I have several AS flights booked in the next week or so. The differential from Y was small enough that buying F was an easy decision. (On one flight, it was cheaper to buy F than it would have been to buy Y and pay for an exit row and a bag).

UA is no better or worse than any other carrier in this regard.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
I have several AS flights booked in the next week or so. The differential from Y was small enough that buying F was an easy decision. (On one flight, it was cheaper to buy F than it would have been to buy Y and pay for an exit row and a bag).

UA is no better or worse than any other carrier in this regard.
I'm not referring to the fare differential, but rather to the offering of discounted upgrades (i.e., sale of upgrades for less than the current upfare), particularly to non-elites.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Very disappointing but understandable.
the 1/23s for people who actually earned status on 2020 or 2021 I can get on board with.

The 7/22s for people who last flew in 2019 is ridiculous.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:17 pm

Programs: 12 year UAL GS, LT Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium, AA Plat Pro
I am like you kdad. I flew all of 2020 except for the period 3/12 to 6/6, although I only had one international trip. In 2021, I would have probably requalified but it would have been tight (~$38K spend). This year I should easily requalify for GS. I had 1,020 plus points extended today which I appreciate.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Well - I think UA is in a no win situation here.

The Southwest CEO was in Hawaii yesterday - and when he was interviewed on the local news (interisland flights moving from 38 to 60 in September) - he stated Southwest (and I'm paraphrasing) they believe there is still a shot business travel will get to 2019 levels by the end of the year (currently down 20% but leisure over 100% of 2019 levels).

The no win for UA is alienating the business travelers (especially GS) still sitting on the sidelines or alienating the people who have traveled with little interruptions

Hawaii News Now Sunrise at 6:00 a.m.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Bad news ... and disappointing.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not referring to the fare differential, but rather to the offering of discounted upgrades (i.e., sale of upgrades for less than the current upfare), particularly to non-elites.
If the fare differential is tiny, what difference does it make when I pay it?

UA flights are commonly full in F, or nearly so, several days prior to travel. The discounted upgrade thing is a FlyerTalk meme, but I don't think it has that much of a basis in reality. People are paying for F, in advance, at the current prices. If AS is upgrading you frequently, it's only because they're not selling their F seats, and the reason that they're not selling them probably has to do with the routes you're flying. I suspect an SEA-based flyer would complain about the inability to get an AS upgrade and fume that UA travelers have it so much better.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
The issue is not that they have given out too many PPs or are extending them, it is that there isn't enough PZ space available at any time. On international, I've seen exactly zero on eastbound TATLs, and only an occasional on the return (from LHR, BRU and GVA), though without PZ on both legs, UA has not been price-competitive against the European competitors..
mikeyf likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Make me look stupid upgrading all those DC to/from NYC flights in the past 12 months.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Make me look stupid upgrading all those DC to/from NYC flights in the past 12 months.
I have been doing similar, but I think I'm still going to struggle to use everything even after this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan

The discounted upgrade thing is a FlyerTalk meme, but I don't think it has that much of a basis in reality.
I'm a heavy user of buyups - and I like the opportunity to buyup.

But the discounted buyup is a real thing. Almost 100% of the time at booking the Y to F differential is always more than $350 from HNL to LAX and SFO and vice versus (usually $500 or more). More often than not at purchase - I get a popup at the end of booking offering an upgrade for $350.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
With all of these PP floating around, don’t expect STW to be prevalent across the next 6 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.