Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int’l, all cabins) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This us an archive thread, the active thread is General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / International, all cabins)
previous thread: COVID Era UA inflight service changes

Thread is for general discussion of the state of UA in-flight service / catering, comparison to other carriers, past UA offerings and concerns with management decisions.

For a specific post about a recent in-flight food, use the appropriate Let's Eat .... thread.

The current Onboard Service descriptions by UA.com

Long-haul international premium cabin dining
North America, Caribbean and Latin America premium cabin dining
United Economy dining

Since the UA website is extremely vague, I'm looking for a few volunteers to submit data, and I will summarize to complete the wiki. kind regards, phkc070408

Domestic Under 300 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening?
PDB - Yes/No? What was offered?
Bagged Snack? Yes/No
Served Snacked? Yes/No. Hot/Cold. What was offered?

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 300 Miles Under 800 Miles

Sample 1
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 2
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 3
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 4
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Sample 5
Bagged Snack? Yes/No

Domestic Over 800 Miles

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Snack Basket?

Sample 2
Route? Morning or Afternoon or Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 3
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening/. or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 4
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

Sample 5
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Late Evening?
Snack Basket?

P-Tcon

Sample 1
Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?
Snack Basket/Pre-Arrival?
Any other notes of relevance?

​​​​​​​Sample 2
​​​​​​​Route? Morning or Afternoon/Evening or Red-Eye?

​​​​​​​Sample 3

​​​​​​​Sample 4

​​​​​​​Sample 5

Polaris USA - Europe

​​​​​​​Sample 1
Menu?
Hot Towels?
First Meal Served? Yes/No. Short description.
Appetizer / Desert Info:
Snack Basket/Mid-Flight Snack?
Arrival Meal? Short Description.

​​​​​​​Sample 2
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 3
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 4
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

​​​​​​​Sample 5
Menu?
​​​​​​​Hot Towels?
Appetizer / Desert Info:

Related thread: How bad does onboard catering need to get before UA invests in improving it?
​​​​​​​

Print Wikipost

General discussion of UA's inflight service (Domestic / Int’l, all cabins) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022, 6:03 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

My first greasy sandwich on the year on Monday's MIA-IAD. Thankfully the scotch kept flowing and that helped ease the pain.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 6:53 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Show me the wide First Class seat you got on that 35 minute flight, and the extra legroom, and the personal device entertainment you got.
I can go to a restaurant after a 35 minute flight and get a nice breakfast, and not have to gulp it down in 20 minutes. What's the point of this? The symbolism of free food? Is this really of any importance?
We get it… you don’t care about service or food & beverage, just how comfy the seat is. The rest of us think a FA getting up and serving drinks once during an hour flight is a reasonable expectation.

I don’t understand the continual blinkered defense of an airline with NPS scores of SEVEN, but it is what it is.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 7:00 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Dyce
We get it… you don’t care about service or food & beverage, just how comfy the seat is. The rest of us think a FA getting up and serving drinks once during an hour flight is a reasonable expectation.

I don’t understand the continual blinkered defense of an airline with NPS scores of SEVEN, but it is what it is.
They get me to my destination, safely and in relative comfort, every time.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Short duration is an excellent reason for a lower level of service
Right. These poor FAs should be able to spend the entire flight playing games on their iPad. It really doesn't matter that there is more than enough to time for a beverage service because now they know the magic words, "Due to the short duration of our flights, we will not be offering a beverage service." After all, I may have been served a drink for 15 years on every flight from BUR-SFO in economy class, but these days there just simply isn't enough time to even serve 12 first class passengers a drink on a 1.5 hour flight.

Old Jan 12, 2022, 7:24 am

So does every other airline. Not sure what your point is. NPS score of seven indicates there is MUCH improvement needed in United's service.

EDIT: sorry, I just double checked and the United score is actually FOUR. Delta's is 51.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 12, 2022 at 10:05 am Reason: Stick to the UA issue
Old Jan 12, 2022, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
If that's the low measuring stick for United, just fly Frontier or Spirit, and you would get there also, and save some dinero in the process.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
I know this will shock everyone, but AFA is pushing to even further reduce service standards - of course, to "keep everyone safe."

In response to United management’s decision to return services including pre-departure beverage services and other component enhancements to the inflight service that increase Flight Attendant interaction with passengers, the United MEC officers approached United management about curtailing services in an ongoing effort to reduce opportunities for transmission of the virus. Management is currently reviewing our request as part of an overall safety risk assessment.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by rch4u
I know this will shock everyone, but AFA is pushing to even further reduce service standards - of course, to "keep everyone safe."
AS has already started cutting back at least for this month:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2064803-flight-service-reductions-january.html

Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:19 am

Looks like some airlines are now stopping all food service to to current Covid situation. This gives passengers less time to have masks off. Would be a good idea for the next several weeks. Alaska announced today and more to follow?
Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by trk1
Looks like some airlines are now stopping all food service to to current Covid situation. This gives passengers less time to have masks off. Would be a good idea for the next several weeks. Alaska announced today and more to follow?
Uh oh.

David
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Right. These poor FAs should be able to spend the entire flight playing games on their iPad. It really doesn't matter that there is more than enough to time for a beverage service because now they know the magic words, "Due to the short duration of our flights, we will not be offering a beverage service." After all, I may have been served a drink for 15 years on every flight from BUR-SFO in economy class, but these days there just simply isn't enough time to even serve 12 first class passengers a drink on a 1.5 hour flight.
I thank you for posting this because I absolutely think it gets to the nub of our disagreement.

So you are upset that the FA's might be spending time on their iPad rather than serving you. Why? The world is absolutely filled with people who sometimes goof off a little bit on their jobs, or do something other than pay 100% to serving the needs of others at all times while at work. And you know what? That is absolutely none of my business. It's not harming me, and if anything I'm glad that people who are doing an important and sometimes stressful job might be able to stop for a moment and enjoy a little pleasure.

Why do I need them to be at my beck and call on such a short flight, rather than on an iPad? It's not as though I will starve if I don't get served a pack of pretzels on a one hour flight. It's not as though I'll go into delirium tremens and die if I am not served a cocktail in that time period. I realize that's sort of an in extremis point, but it's illustrative of the whole thing- the desire to have these people serve me rather than be on their iPads is symbolic. I own their time. They are there to serve ME. It is offensive that someone who is supposed to be at my beck and call is doing something else, something that is valuable to her, instead.

These people are here primarily for our safety. The airline even tells us this in their safety announcement. They are there so that if the plane has to be evacuated, it happens quickly and yours and mine and everyone else's lives will be saved. And they receive extensive training to ensure that happens. They are not servants. They are not like hiring a person to serve us food in our homes. They have a service role, but it is secondary to the safety role. Heck, they aren't even like waiters in a restaurant.

If a FA is on an iPad rather than waiting on me, I assume she has some good reason that she either needs to be on that iPad, or that being on that iPad is good for her well being in what has to be a stressful existence. I am not offended she isn't serving me, and it isn't the end of the world if I take off and land safety, get to my destination, but don't receive subservient service on the airplane. I don't need to feel like a stereotypical rich man with all of his supplicants waiting on him, when I get on an airplane. That's not what I am paying for- I am paying for transportation.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
I thank you for posting this because I absolutely think it gets to the nub of our disagreement.

So you are upset that the FA's might be spending time on their iPad rather than serving you. Why? The world is absolutely filled with people who sometimes goof off a little bit on their jobs, or do something other than pay 100% to serving the needs of others at all times while at work. And you know what? That is absolutely none of my business. It's not harming me, and if anything I'm glad that people who are doing an important and sometimes stressful job might be able to stop for a moment and enjoy a little pleasure.

Why do I need them to be at my beck and call on such a short flight, rather than on an iPad? It's not as though I will starve if I don't get served a pack of pretzels on a one hour flight. It's not as though I'll go into delirium tremens and die if I am not served a cocktail in that time period. I realize that's sort of an in extremis point, but it's illustrative of the whole thing- the desire to have these people serve me rather than be on their iPads is symbolic. I own their time. They are there to serve ME. It is offensive that someone who is supposed to be at my beck and call is doing something else, something that is valuable to her, instead.

These people are here primarily for our safety. The airline even tells us this in their safety announcement. They are there so that if the plane has to be evacuated, it happens quickly and yours and mine and everyone else's lives will be saved. And they receive extensive training to ensure that happens. They are not servants. They are not like hiring a person to serve us food in our homes. They have a service role, but it is secondary to the safety role. Heck, they aren't even like waiters in a restaurant.

If a FA is on an iPad rather than waiting on me, I assume she has some good reason that she either needs to be on that iPad, or that being on that iPad is good for her well being in what has to be a stressful existence. I am not offended she isn't serving me, and it isn't the end of the world if I take off and land safety, get to my destination, but don't receive subservient service on the airplane. I don't need to feel like a stereotypical rich man with all of his supplicants waiting on him, when I get on an airplane. That's not what I am paying for- I am paying for transportation.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:15 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Recent posts are getting problematic

It is fine to disagree but realistically never have an expectation anyone will change their position. We are all expressing opinions in threads like this.

The FT rules are very clear

If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
Disagree with the idea.

Why do we have this rule because experience shows once posters get personal things turn nasty and unproductive very quickly

Additionally, let's stick to UA (and incidental references to other competitors) -- practices in other workplaces are a discussion for a different forum.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jan 12, 2022, 11:33 am

"While service is our passion..." which is a blatant lie on a significant proportion of flights. If I'm paying a premium for additional services as advertised on the United web pages including food & beverage, then yes, I have the right and expectation to receive some form of service. "beck and call' is a far cry from serving 12 F passengers ONE beverage during a 61 minute flight. Your argument fits if purchasing a Basic Economy fare... but for premium fares (the hint is in the word premium) United are not meeting the vast majority of their customer's expectations. (NPS score of FOUR)
Old Jan 12, 2022, 12:03 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Expecting UA/UX to provide the food/beverage service they explicitly offer to when they sell you a ticket hardly seems equivalent to expecting "beck and call" service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.