Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

In-Flight Service Reductions for January 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2022, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald

-https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2...dant-backlash/

I'm frustrated with Alaska at the moment. First, they are not even flying to Columbus and back this week. Absolutely no help in rebooking my 1/7 flight they cancelled at the last minute. Everything is still a cluster at SEA and in N concourse where lines were brutal, still, on 1/7 and were no help.

Now, I'm not even going to get more than one drink on a transcon flight? What differentiates AS now from the rest of the complete mess?

I have one more AS flight booked in January on 1/30 and that [...] is getting cancelled and rebooked on AA, posthaste. At least I'll get home, and now with the same level of surly non-service.
itripreport likes this.

Last edited by dayone; Jan 11, 2022 at 5:46 pm Reason: Redact masked profanity (FT Rule 16).
Old Jan 9, 2022, 8:08 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

Alaska Airlines will also reduce the number of pre-orders allowed on transcon and Hawaii flights from 63 to just 42 per flight.
This is going to really flatten the curve fast.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
-https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2...dant-backlash/

I'm frustrated with Alaska at the moment. First, they are not even flying to Columbus and back this week. Absolutely no help in rebooking my 1/7 flight they cancelled at the last minute. Everything is still a cluster at SEA and in N concourse where lines were brutal, still, on 1/7 and were no help.

Now, I'm not even going to get more than one drink on a transcon flight? What differentiates AS now from the rest of the complete mess?

I have one more AS flight booked in January on 1/30 and that [...] is getting cancelled and rebooked on AA, posthaste. At least I'll get home, and now with the same level of surly non-service.
The AFA literally runs AS. Ben is the most feckless CEO they’ve had, and will prove that in the coming the years. Long before I retired, AS had a program to increase employee moral and elevate service standards called Flightpath. Every employee, from CEO on down had to attend. It was there that I saw how he’d pander to every FA gripe and request, above all other work groups. The AFA at AS has made themselves the most powerful work group on the property. Since COVID and it’s many variants will be with us forever, expect more power exerted by the AFA’ on what AS inflight service will look like. As the poster above said, that indeed flattens their competitive curve.

Last edited by dayone; Jan 11, 2022 at 5:47 pm Reason: Edit redacted quote.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Current state of the US major 5:

Decent service on-board, edible food
Acceptable seats and equipment
Actually operates flights

Choose 2 1
anteater, 985X, Repooc17 and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 9:48 am

Not sure if the AFA understands if they piss off enough customers, they can rest in the back of the plane for as long as they want.

It is absurd to only offer one beverage service on a 6h transcon. Are FAs going to sit in the back and chat while passengers lining up in the aisle begging for coffee?
Old Jan 9, 2022, 9:56 am

Programs: Yes
If I’m understanding this correctly, there will still be full meal and drink service in First Class: for transcon and Hawaii; and some type of food and full drink service for midcon, and snacks and full drink service for all other standard length flights. So, COVID exposure isn’t as likely for the purser (FC FA). 🙃🤞🏻

I am not privy to those negotiations, but I am guessing that AS had to balance the needs of operating against an organization that had even steeper demands, and given that the airline is facing a staffing shortage due to Onicron, they were in a weak negotiating position.

I haven’t met an unhappy AS FA, so I wonder whose interests this group is representing. Rarely, I have seen a FA who will hide at their station for the duration of the flight; however, most of the AS FAs seem genuinely happy to be there and perform their duties well.

I look forward to when things continue to head toward pre-covid normalcy.

🤙🏻🍹

Last edited by anteater; Jan 9, 2022 at 10:06 am
Old Jan 9, 2022, 10:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Tack
The AFA literally runs AS. Ben is the most feckless CEO they’ve had, and will prove that in the coming the years. Long before I retired, AS had a program to increase employee moral and elevate service standards called Flightpath. Every employee, from CEO on down had to attend. It was there that I saw how he’d pander to every FA gripe and request, above all other work groups. The AFA at AS has made themselves the most powerful work group on the property. Since COVID and it’s many variants will be with us forever, expect more power exerted by the AFA’ on what AS inflight service will look like. As the poster above said, that indeed flattens their competitive curve.
I live in USA and am US citizen. 90% of my miles flown however are in J/F of Asian (2019/2020) or ME (2020/2021) airlines. In 2021 I re-earned, organically (BIS), top FF status on three USA airlines: AA, AS and UA. I've been thinking on this subject of USA cabin crew for some years now.

AFA in my opinion has become the enemy of the passenger. [...] The sooner AFA is out of the picture, the better for all.
rch4u, Visconti, anteater and 2 others like this.

Last edited by dayone; Jan 9, 2022 at 11:27 am Reason: Redacted off-topic comments.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
I live in USA and am US citizen. 90% of my miles flown however are in J/F of Asian (2019/2020) or ME (2020/2021) airlines. In 2021 I re-earned, organically (BIS), top FF status on three USA airlines: AA, AS and UA. I've been thinking on this subject of USA cabin crew for some years now.

AFA in my opinion has become the enemy of the passenger. [...] The sooner AFA is out of the picture, the better for all.
I would be interested in reading an analysis of this topic. Know if any good rationale articles which you could link to?

If I recall, the AFA negotiating was posted recently with some leaked emails from AS, and the tone did feel a bit hostile and lacking substance behind the organization’s demands.

p.s. I smashed the like and subscribe buttons

Last edited by dayone; Jan 9, 2022 at 11:27 am Reason: Edited redacted quote.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
The sooner AFA is out of the picture, the better for all.
I could probably add some color here, but that will surely blow up the rat button.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Visconti
I could probably add some color here, but that will surely blow up the rat button.
"Evil flourishes when good men do nothing".

Old Jan 9, 2022, 11:58 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
I don’t get the shock and anger. We are in the middle of a Covid wave that is causing massive numbers of people to get sick. Airlines are struggling to keep their schedules going because of this. Lots of other businesses are struggling for the same reason. We can’t expect things to be “normal” even if we really really want them to be.

Of course there are going to be pullbacks in service during this time. FAs are concerned for their safety, and every little bit helps them.

This too shall pass… and probably quicker than previous variants. We will get our second service back. It will be ok.

PS ring the call button or visit the galley if you need something.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
If you all don’t like what AS is offering there are several competitors that will be happy to take your money. My feeling is that for many of you this is just a place to blow off steam because our collective citizenry has failed from top to bottom to combat Covid and we are all tired of it entering the third year.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:33 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note

Several posts have been deleted and couple have been edited. Service reductions + COVID comments = a dogpile. Time to pause this thread for a bit.

dayone, AS Moderator
williwaw likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
A lot of the anger seems pretty focused on the dining aspect of flying. I don't really understand how people can get so worked up about food and drinks on a flight that doesn't last more than 6 hours (on AS at least)... at the end of the day, flying gets you from Point A to Point B and that's it. People in the service industry have tough jobs - we should treat them with respect, they're not exactly your servants...

Realistically, I'd expect covid to continue surging and receding because the virus is constantly mutating and is pretty much endemic because it was never successfully contained in the first place.
AS Flyer, PDXFlyBoy, KE81 and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Alaska Cuts back on Service through End of January

Here's an interesting read, after backlash from some flight attendants, Alaska said they will cut back on multiple drink runs on longer flights, and cut back on snack/meal service on mid to short range flights...
https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2...dant-backlash/

I'd love to hear what you all think of this as my opinions on this are very... strong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.